my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Copy-controlled CDs

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Copy-controlled CDs
endthyme
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 384

posted October 30, 2003 14:57     Profile for endthyme   Email endthyme     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On the subject of new CDs..Are copy-controlled cds fucking up your day yet? Nowadays I see this RIAA 'brain-in-anus' scheme screwing up my enjoyment and it's a fucking rip-off. The CDs sounds shit and I'm not even playing it on my PC!! Someone must fucking pay for this atrocity...

Just need to blow some steam.

New CDs bought NOT screwed by RIAA...yet:

Anthrax : We've come for you all
Bullet Lavolta :Swandive (After searching like forever..to replaced the worn out CD)
Last Crack : Burning Time (another classic)

|  IP: Logged
GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted October 30, 2003 14:59     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How can you be sure that it's the CD protection's fault your CD sounds like shit? Could be just a shit CD with or without.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 30, 2003 15:22     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
endthyme, welcome aboard.

I see you're from Singapore. I think it's the first time we have a voivodfan from Asia (as far as I know). How much time have you been living there?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 01, 2003 06:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another fan of LAST CRACK...that means you have great taste in great music!!! INCREDIBLE ALBUM
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted November 01, 2003 20:38     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Technichally I'm from Asia, my parents are both Chinese, but I'm an Chinese-American o_O
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted November 01, 2003 21:45     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Certain copy protection systems do affect the sound quality of CD's.

In certain cases it will even stop some CD players from playing.

Naim CD players are well known to be intolerant of copy protection. Most high end CD players are affected by it to some degree, and even some of the cheaper ones get upset by it. It's to do with something called the 'Red Book' standard drawn up by Philips when the technology was released for the world to build. The maximum length of a CD was 74 minutes although a theoretical 80 minutes was possible at the time (now the norm), Philips initially did not recommend it. There is also information about what the non-music data can contain and where it can be stored. Some of the newer copy protection systems break the rules quite spectacularly, forcing CD players to read well beyond the specified areas within the standard. For CD players built to the Red Book this becomes a nightmare and they will either play the discs very badly or in some cases not at all. Conversely, other players with transports that have a very wide reading range (Naim is one), are considered to be PC CDROM's by the copy protection software, which will force the player to either play at very low (MP3 or worse) quality, or at worst eject the CD because it upsets the tracking system so badly! Most can cope however and this only affects a few players. What I would say though is that if Philips saw fit they could feasibly ban these copy protection systems because they do breach the agreed standards for music CD's.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan