my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Hardcore is for heroes, emo is for zeroes...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hardcore is for heroes, emo is for zeroes...
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted October 30, 2003 12:01     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't know if this thread belongs here, but I built a website for a local band and would like to recommend it to my fellow voivodians who dig hardcore/punk music (not the emo crap!!).

Check this out: http://www.agrotoxicohc.com.br (and lemme know if you find a dead link... )

Cheers!

|  IP: Logged
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 30, 2003 14:09     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MrEddy. It seems I can't keep my fingers away from the laptop right now. I'm having a bad cold...runnin' nose, soar throat...I'm bored with myself, nothing to do ......

Now I will stop complaining. I managed to reach your mp3 files after a second try. It sure ain't a dead link. I had some trouble with the language, but I understand some portugues and french.

Do you have a link in english?

As for "emo". I think it is just a personal defenition to me because I find VOIVOD very emotional. Just listen to the Angel-Rat pre production-demo. you will find it here on VVF (mp3:s) Listen to "Best Regards", "AngelRat", "Golem", "Nuage Fractal"........The sound, the distortion, Snakes voice, This was the first album I "fell for". I bought the CD, i just loved it! Then the folks on this board told me about the pre- production! ...... ..
Now I understand the difference about the sound everybody else knew about. To me this is emotional because it "moves" me! I feel something,It makes me think, It makes me feel good. .... AngelRat(the demo) RULEZ. But the CD album brought me here! Ironic.

I'm a bit weird.......

Cheers!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted October 30, 2003 14:14     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Emo is one of those myriad of musical genres that journalists like to invent for whatever's popular at the moment, has nothing to do with emotional music. It applies to what (if it were up to me) would be termed "Wuss Punk", that is, punk (well, sort of) with all the soul, fun, energy and excitement ripped from it's eviscerated corpse. Awful, awful stuff. Mostly listened to by kids my age who like to sit in their darkened bedrooms slashing their wrists and wondering why they haven't got a girlfriend.

"Fuck MTV, I want my NYHC".

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 30, 2003 14:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, the good ole hardcore... Old school hardcore rules! Emo? What is emo???
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 30, 2003 15:02     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
..... Emo? What is emo???

Hehe, I thought it ment "emotional" music! Something that gets into your "soul" I have my own definition on that. ....

If it means "Julio Ickgesia", "Westlifesleez"...then it sucks!

Me likes UB40, what if they are emo?

Cheers!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted October 30, 2003 15:07     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, no, no...

I mean, like, uh... crappy pop-punk bands. C'mon, Lyc, think of names... um, Jimmy Eat Coc-, uh, I mean, Jimmy Eat World. Dasboard Confessional. Crap like that.

UB40 are reggae, which is good stuff mostly.

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted October 30, 2003 15:21     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
No, no, no...

I mean, like, uh... crappy pop-punk bands. C'mon, Lyc, think of names... um, Jimmy Eat Coc-, uh, I mean, Jimmy Eat World. Dasboard Confessional. Crap like that.

You're right, Lyc! That's what I meant by emo, not just ordinary emotional music. When this term first appeared, it was used to describe some fine acts such as Dag Nasty and others, but now it turned into a completely different thing. Actually, it became a genre on its own and we can easily point it as THE soundtrack for today's MTV-kids.

Ankki, thanks for visiting the page!! Hope you understand what this emo crap is all about. BTW, I dig "Angel Rat" too...

Slaytanic: vamos reativar o thread em português!! Abraço!!

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 30, 2003 16:15     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
You're right, Lyc! That's what I meant by emo, ...... Actually, it became a genre on its own and we can easily point it as THE soundtrack for today's MTV-kids.

Ankki, thanks for visiting the page!! Hope you understand what this emo crap is all about. BTW, I dig "Angel Rat" too...

Slaytanic: vamos reativar o thread em português!! Abraço!!

I hate MTV (most of the time)....
Yeah I know UB40 is reggae, like it! I remember Bob Marley and Johnny Nash, Tosh...

Thank for telling me about the "emo". there are so many new genres, I have to ask my kids....

reativar em potugues. hmmmm....entendo um poco portugues Abraco!.......Cheers!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 30, 2003 18:04     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lync, why the deception???? Didn't I just recieve an email from you telling me how'd you just penned an emo masterpiece for the Sisters in an attempt to update our image. C'mon man, its time to stop the lies. I've been working on my emo look now for the past month having just got my hair right. What the hell??? Do you want emo or not???
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted October 31, 2003 00:17     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Annki:
reativar em potugues. hmmmm....entendo um poco portugues Abraco!.......Cheers!

Woow! You took me by surprise now! Where did you learn portuguese anyway?!

You're from Finland, right? Well, I do have a friend who lives near the city of Oulu. According to him, there are only 300 habitants in this small village he lives (and he's pretty scared about having 4 hours of sunlight a day!!).

As for "Angel Rat", I sure like the demos, but the record itself is very well produced. Sure, sure...there are the keyboards, not too much bass distortion, etc, but the rest of it sounds perfect to me. This is a tough subject as most people here dislike this album, to say the least...

As per your question regarding an English link to the site I designed, we're taking care of it now. Most contents have been versed to English, but I still got to create the buttons and layouts for it.

Hope you get better from the cold soon!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted October 31, 2003 05:00     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Lync, why the deception???? Didn't I just recieve an email from you telling me how'd you just penned an emo masterpiece for the Sisters in an attempt to update our image. C'mon man, its time to stop the lies. I've been working on my emo look now for the past month having just got my hair right. What the hell??? Do you want emo or not???

Now you die.

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 31, 2003 06:10     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
Woow! You took me by surprise now! Where did you learn portuguese anyway?!

You're from Finland, right?.......

As for "Angel Rat", I sure like the demos, but the record itself is very well produced...... most people here dislike this album, to say the least......

Hey Mr Eddy.
Finland.? No I'm from Sweden from the town Gävle who's has the hockey team BRYNAS IF from where we "exported" our famous Borje SALMING over to you ahhhh,.. ...Toronto Maple Leafs. We just loved him here in town, his older brother, Stig, was actually much more "hard" inside the rink, but out side......one of the most kind person I've ever met!

Portugues? O pai da mea filha Sandra esta portuguse, "creolo" . Luis fala "creolo" tambem.....so I learned some potugues and some creole (Cabo Verdo). He's been livin' in Sweden since early 70's.

AngelRat, that was the first album I came across, found it at a local second hand store, Jasonic kind of brought me into Voivod but that's another story....
I don't dislike the album AngelRat at all, I just love it. To me it's very "special". It's just me that finally understand the difference between the sounds.....eahhhhhh and of course I'm trying to act more...eehh.."cool"...... ..I'm such a looser (sigh)!
But serious; it could have been a great album if they had produced it. The CD is of course more "easy listening" and that can on the other hand get more people "into" Voivod....I think!....they sure got me...

Looking forward to your english site, reading and writing porugues I sure need a dictionary......emmm, you know the grammer, the verbs.....not easy.....

Cheers!

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 31, 2003 06:17     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Now you die.

Oh Mez, are you dead? Naaaaa..kiddin'

Cheers!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 31, 2003 08:25     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm blasting Brutal Truth's Extreme Conditions right now, and I must say I always get emotional when I listen to this one. It makes me wanna smash things all around!

Does this count as emo???

P.S.: bom saber que tem mais gente que fala português no Forum, Annki! Apareça no tópico pra quem fala português sempre que quiser!

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 31, 2003 08:54     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
.........Does this count as emo???

P.S.: bom saber que tem mais gente que fala português no Forum, Annki! Apareça no tópico pra quem fala português sempre que quiser!

Sim, esta emo... ........Obrigada! Mas falo um poco......Os verbos esta dificuldade.........ehhhhhhh, you know the grammer I can speak but write it....

I have to use a on-line-dictionary....I had to take a linguaphone "class" because Luis didn't want to teach us his language...argh! He wanted our daughter to be a "Swede"..... .......Well today he regret this of course. But Me and Sandra is going to attend a spanish "class" when she becomes 13 yrs. This class is avaiable at the public shool where she's at. I have to attend a class for adults. ....
. But maybe....Luis has been giving her some tapes in portugues lately so I have some hopes. (We are divorced, but friends and she can visit him whenever she wants; we live in the same town)

Well thanks anyway I will visit your thread!

Abracao...Cheers!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan