my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Hey Malador

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey Malador
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 29, 2003 22:32     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On the Holdsworth thread you mentioned to jazz guys(Derome & Lussier) that sound really interesting. I checked out the sites but was wondering if you could recommend an album by each. Also Lussier's site was totally in French which really stinks for a dumbfuck like me. Anything interesting there? Please disregard this post if their music resembles anything close to UK.
 |  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 30, 2003 08:44     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First, the nick is MAL-DO-ROR. How many times should I repeat it? Are you guys doing it on purpose?

But, enough about me. Let's talk about those two fantastic musicians, Derome and Lussier (and no, nothing from them sound anything like UK!).

Derome is a multi-instrumentist, but he mostly plays wind instruments, and also plays instruments made by himself. He plays jazz, composes music (for movies or theatre)and make experimental noises. You can compare him with John Zorn (with whom he worked, btw.) He's got a great sense of humour. His girlfriend, Joane Hétu, is also a musician: check out "Nous perçons les oreilles", a project they do together (it's basically noise, very difficult to get into, but it's fun). From Derome alone, I would suggest "3 musique pour Ubu", a two-discs set of music for a theatre company, mostly orchestral, and also "Hommage à Georges Perec", a very funny tribute to 60's music. I find it hard to recommand albums from him, since each project is so different and unique.

As for René Lussier, he's a guitarist and composer. I think I saw a guitar solo album on his site. Haven't heard it, but I saw Lussier do guitar solos live, and I never saw a guy play guitar like that. This guy doesn't play guitar, he STRANGLES guitars. But the album that I know very well, and that I recommend is called "Le trésor de la langue", it's a classic in it's own way. On this one, he uses samplings of Québec people talking and makes music based on theses vocals. The result is amazing, even if you don't understand french.

Be aware, this is experimental stuff. Try to get audio samples first.

(BTW, if you don't understand french, I know that most of the time they have french and english liner notes in their albums, and something lyrics translations, since they have international careers.)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 30, 2003 09:39     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:
First, the nick is MAL-DO-ROR. How many times should I repeat it? Are you guys doing it on purpose?

I wonder what made you think like that. Ma-la-o-do-ra-or...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 30, 2003 15:31     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hm, I wonder too, Slaytanic, my Richard Marx-loving friend!

That's it. I'm changing nickname, right now. Something more... angry! Yes, that's it!

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted October 30, 2003 17:21     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah that's a great nick Mr Marldoror Man! don't change it!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 30, 2003 17:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Um, yes, this sounds good. And not "progressive" like UK. Even better. I like a lot of avant garde especially relating to jazz. Speaking of which, I heard a Cage piece with his prepared piano the other day that was a cool little samba tune. But thanks for the info Maladoroarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....I'll look on Ebay.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 31, 2003 07:58     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, great new nick, Malaodoroatröss.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 31, 2003 08:21     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad to see you interested in that stuff, Mez. I wasn't sure if you'd be into avant-garde stuff, but I see you're quite open. Enjoy!

And for the new nick, well, I kinda like it. I'll keep it for a while!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted October 31, 2003 08:23     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, nice nick change, much better than Malodorous, or whatever the hell it was.

J/K...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan