my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Hey Schroed & the rest of you 'Proggers'

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey Schroed & the rest of you 'Proggers'
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 27, 2003 22:51     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I actually tried to send this as a PM, but got a 'software error'.
CORPSE!!??

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you have checked out the site 'Progressive Ears'. It seems like a place you might enjoy, with the website built around an excellent forum as the centerpiece, and tons of very cool prog fans, album reviews, polls... you name it.
http://www.progressiveears.com/

drop me a line over there if you join up

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 28, 2003 08:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
COOL SITE!!!
Lots of good info.
Thanks for the link.

The main thing I find boring about a lot of prog bands is the singer is a LaBrie clone or has no agression to his voice. I like Dream theater a lot but LaBrie reminds me of the singer from Air Supply sometimes. Sing like ya mean it, give it some balls.
Too many 'progressive' bands DON'T progress, they jusat rehash what old progers have already done, which is redundant and NOT progressing music at all.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 28, 2003 08:58     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Too many 'progressive' bands DON'T progress, they jusat rehash what old progers have already done, which is redundant and NOT progressing music at all.

I agree with that; Yes was way ahead of its time in 1972. In 2003, they are just behind, living in the 70s, and not at all in contact with the music done today. And by that, I mean that you have to know what's being made right now to go beyond, and make the music evolve. They'll say "we do our thing and we don't care about the trends" to justify their lack of innovation. If I want lack of musical evolution, I'll listen to yet another new AC/DC album (even tho I like AC/DC).

The only old prog band that made something really innovative up to recently was King Crimson with Thrak. That was fresh and ahead of its time. Not bad for some old farts. But then Construcktion of light really disapointed me. It was as if they tried to make a typical Crimson album. Like Maiden always make typical Maiden albums, they just went safe with a typical Crimson album.

Do you understand what I mean?

Oh and I'll go check out that site!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 28, 2003 11:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally understand what you mean although I though ConstruKCtion of Light was a very different KC album, and went into a new direction in some ways, just like the new cd The Power To Believe is another step in a different dierction, although with some standard KC ideas.
KC has always tried evolving and when they didn't they just ended it until it was time to record again.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 28, 2003 11:45     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
KC has always tried evolving and when they didn't they just ended it until it was time to record again.

Oh my god, the lesson that many bands should learn! If ya don't have anything good to say, just shut up! (And I'm thinking about Iron Maiden here, I mean, they have been doing the same fucking album for 20 years. Just tour and stop bugging us with new albums! You know when the singer of a band says:"Here's a song from our latest album" and you think "Hm, time to go for a piss", there's something wrong. Anyway, end of rant.)

And by the way, very good prog site, Tang. There's even Voivod reviews (Nothingface and Angel Rat). Lacks a little Dimension Hätross, tho!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 28, 2003 17:41     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's the beauty of the place, Mal. YOU or anyone else that wants to can review DH or just about anything they desire, as long as it's remotely tied into the realms of Prgressive music. Hell, I have already turned in reviews for Napalm Death and Mr. Bungle over there.
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 28, 2003 18:58     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like that link! A lot of swedish bands. KLAATU was represented and Barclay James Harvest...Death&Taxes! Could not resist that forum, just joined!

Really like Klaatu! Have 2 LP.

Cheers!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan