my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » What do you do when one of your favorite groups puts out an incredibly shitty album? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: What do you do when one of your favorite groups puts out an incredibly shitty album?
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted October 21, 2003 20:46     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I mean, I love Mojave 3. But they put this new record out -"Spoon and Rafter."

Its like worse than lounge jazz. I mean the opening track is such obvious filler.

Not that I'm mad because I bought it, I didn't. I heard a track on the label's website. Ugh!

I am just mad at the gall of one my fav songwriters trying to sell that for $20.00
a pop.

Should I still be loyal and buy a ticket at
the Troubador or ditch the muthas?

|  IP: Logged
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted October 22, 2003 00:08     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhary:
Should I still be loyal and buy a ticket at
the Troubador or ditch the muthas?

Ditch 'em, Jhary! I can't stand when a band I'm into puts out a crappy record for commercial reasons. I don't know if this was the case with the Mojave folks, but....

Back in my teen years, I was deeply into Manowar and they were responsible for my very first rock'n'roll disappointment! Anyone remember the "Fighting the World" LP? What a piece of crap!! "Death to False Metal"? Yeah, right...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 22, 2003 05:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SAVATAGE released "Fight For The Rock" which was a total maninpulation by the big lable to get more sales...IT SUCKED, but they recovered and released a lot of great albums after that.

RAVEN released a piece of crap once they got signed to a big lable also, I can't remeber the titlebut they had horn players on it!!! What the fuck!!! They also redeemed themselves with better releases afterwards.

MEGADETH released Risk, and relalized it was a bad 'risk' to take. I didn't write them off for that one but waited for the next cd and found out they still had what it takes. Risk was the worst Megadeth release but I enjoy everything else they put out, so it's still a great catalog of music, and of course I still bought and will always keep Risk.

If you enjoyed their previous material, the live show will probably have some music you like...but maybe wait till their next album gets released before totally writting them off. Maybe they just hit a slump?

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 22, 2003 10:16     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VENOM "Calm Before the Storm"
MORGOTH "Feel Sorry for the Fanatic" --> What a piece of crap!!!
CELTIC FROST "Cold Fake"

Red_Eyes
VoivodFan
Member # 380

posted October 22, 2003 10:56     Profile for Red_Eyes   Email Red_Eyes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cold lake...man that was a kick in the balls if you ask me but its still kinda funny to listen to.
Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 22, 2003 11:32     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That "Cherry Orchards" video makes me puke!!! I still don't know what was Tom trying to do... According to Martin Ain, he wanted to have more chiks at gigs... mmmm, there are better ways to get chiks Tom!!!!
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted October 22, 2003 11:41     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh stop it, you're just embarrassed because you saw Tom in tight pants and got a chubby!
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted October 22, 2003 12:05     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best way for Tom to attract chicks to gigs would be plastic surgery, if you ask me... The guy is the ugliest player in metal history. Okay, Shane Embury is even uglier, but that's an extreme example...

BTW, "Cold Lake" really sucks!! The "Cherry Orchard" video is pathetic, to say the least...

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted October 22, 2003 12:13     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember being really bummed out when Somewhere In Time was released, "they said they would never use synthesizers!". I really like the record now, but back then I was disappointed.

Other disappointments: Dio - Sacred Heart; Y&T - Down for the Count; Anthrax - State of Euphoria; Megadeth - So Far, So Good, So What; Judas Priest - Turbo (it was the image I hated more than the music)...plus plenty more I can't think of right now..

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted October 22, 2003 12:51     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, everything Maiden did with BB(stands for big bwuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!). Man what a dissapointment that was. I refuse to buy that crap lead singer stuff and I do have every other Maidenalbum.

Grtzzz

BTW: down for the count.... you are right about that Ant

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 22, 2003 13:12     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The same thing happened to me ant!!! Exactly the same!!! But now I'm older and hear the album with other perspective, though it's not my fave Maiden album, at all...
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted October 22, 2003 14:09     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Speaking of Anthrax - State of Euphoria, the new one by Anthrax is pretty weak too...all riffs are used up, no more ideas. Scott's checking account at the Anthrax Riff Bank just reported insufficient funds.

I think the new Exodus will save us.

I like the new Anthrax stuff. I think they write some pretty good hard rock songs now. I even like Vol.8 quite a bit. Maybe it's because I'm a John Bush fan?
I thought Anthrax just got too goofy with SOE, and I never even checked out POT other than a couple songs. Didn't care for it at all.

One other record I thought of...Voivod - Voivod! I didn't like it at first but it has really grown on me in the months since it's release. Now I love it. I don't know what took me so long.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 22, 2003 18:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I gotta second ant's vote on Judas Priest TURBO ...pure shit, never liked, never will.
"I'm your turbo lover..." give me a fuckin break!!!

I can't say I agree with the Megadeth 'so far so good so what'...I loved it the first time I played it. I also have enjoyed all the Anthrax with Bush at the mike, and Volume 8 is my hands down fav...it rocks, grooves, brutalizes and makes me chuckle...it's everything all rolled into a nice little ball. I like the new cd bt it doesn't hold a candle to Volume 8.

I also like Somewhere In Time, from the day it got released, but I can see where you might dislike it a bit. Maiden didn't dissapoint me until Fear Of The Dark, and then the Blaze era 'shit'!

Max1334
VoivodFan
Member # 202

posted October 22, 2003 18:49     Profile for Max1334   Email Max1334     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ant:
Other disappointments: ... Megadeth - So Far, So Good, So What; ..

naaaa!One of my favourite Thrash albums ever!!!I remember when it comes out I'm young, 11yr, but I've liked it much. The first Megadeth album I don't like completely is rust in peace, with songs like lucretia and others. songs that I hate. anyway this album have good songs like 5 magics and others.

well, the record....
the biggest delusion of my life....
Cure-wild mood swings. after a great pop-guitar-oriented album like "wish", they have put out this shitty record made of shitty stupid pop songs.

Metallica- black album.when Lars have forgot how play fast the drum....

Voivod - voivod. the first time voivod seems to lose theyr innovation. Not bad songs, but nothing new...

Placebo - sleeping with ghosts.see voivod

Sonic Youth - washing machine. See voivod and placebo

Kreator - coma of souls

Death in June - all pigs must die. see voivod etc...

Corpus(delicti) - syn-drom

and many many others....

sorry for my bad english!
Max

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 23, 2003 08:18     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kreator - "Coma of Sous" ??? I have to disagree...
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted October 23, 2003 09:12     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Me too, COS it's a great record IMO Then again, about 99.9% of the people listening to Kreator claim that Renewal is an incredibly shitty album, but I like it a lot. It's got pretty bad production, but the songs are quite different from what Kreator had done before that. I especially like "Carmic Wheel" and the title track, which I was lucky to hear live last time K was here.

Ok, back to the topic. COC was a big disappointment to me at first when they put out 'Deliverance', but after listening to it once in a while and hearing the songs live I grew to like it very much.

Nuclear Assault's "Out of Order" certainly lived up to its name...man, that was a BAD record. The songs were totally uninspirational and worst of all, they sounded like they were recorded underwater with one mic that was attached to a vacuum cleaner (wrapped in plastic of course to avoid electric shock)...

Others I can think of:
surprisingly, "Load"...."Real Load"..."Shite & Manure"...

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted October 23, 2003 12:57     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
"I'm your turbo lover..." give me a fuckin break!!!

And in light of what we now know (or always knew) about Mr. Halford, songs like Eat Me Alive and Love Bites have a frightening new meaning to them. Kinda ruins Defenders of the Faith for me too.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 24, 2003 05:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
And in light of what we now know (or always knew) about Mr. Halford, songs like Eat Me Alive and Love Bites have a frightening new meaning to them. Kinda ruins Defenders of the Faith for me too.

It maybe changes the way you think Halford meant them, but it doesn't change the fact they were way better songs than Turbo and he's a God-Like singer, and DOTF was a superb album. Lyrically and musically it was great...who cares if he's gay, the guy's an incredible vocalist...no doubt about, and he still has what it takes to belt out great songs...I can't wait to hear the new JP cd with him behind the mike again.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 24, 2003 10:05     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Defenders Of The Faith is, IMHO, the best Judas Priest album, without a doubt. And the best metal album, as well.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted October 24, 2003 11:44     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
It maybe changes the way you think Halford meant them, but it doesn't change the fact they were way better songs than Turbo and he's a God-Like singer, and DOTF was a superb album. Lyrically and musically it was great...who cares if he's gay, the guy's an incredible vocalist...no doubt about, and he still has what it takes to belt out great songs...I can't wait to hear the new JP cd with him behind the mike again.

Just a little joke guys, sorry. I love Defenders of the Faith, I don't care if he's gay and Halford is THE metal vocalist of all time. Although I like Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin and Stained Class more than DOTF, it is still a great record. I never heard Painkiller, is it worth checking out? They really lost me after Turbo.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 24, 2003 11:58     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
What do you do when one of your favorite groups puts out an incredibly shitty album?

You come on VVF and start a thread and whine like a bitch about it.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted October 24, 2003 14:01     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metallica's Black Album - Didn't like anything they released after Justice

Fear Factory's Demanufacture - Soul of A new Machine kicked major ass, but I hated Demanufacture. I bought the album and sold it the same week.

Megadeth's Youthanasia - Liked all albums up to this one. Never bought another Megadeth album after that one.

Carcass's Swansong - No match compared to the previous releases.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 24, 2003 15:28     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The thing about Turbo is you need to listen to it with fresh ears and not care about what your cell-mate might think of you for liking it.

He's going to rape you either way, you know?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 24, 2003 20:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ANT, I'm in total agreement ablout liking the earlier Priest releases better then the ones that came latter. I thought Rocka Rolla was GREAT, also. Sad Wings, Sin After Sin are their masterpiesces IMHO, with lots of depth and variety. They were more progressive than straight forward back in the early days.

I'll take another listen to TURBO and see what happens thins time. It's been many many years.

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted October 24, 2003 21:05     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
If you can ever get your hands on the John Connelly Theory CD its a lot better. Maybe I will upload it next week.

It's funny that you said that, Corpse, 'cos that CD could easily make it to my list of disappointing records!... Again, it's a matter of taste as I don't think "Out of Order" is that bad an album.

BTW, I just thought of some other records which were really frustrating: D.R.I.'s "Four of a Kind" (so sloo o o o w...), The Misfits (anything they put out without Danzig), Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake" (okay, it was mentioned before, but this one deserves to be cited numerous times!!) and all the 80's punk bands that went metal and the metal bands that went glam/poser...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan