my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » new nothingface? erase errata-crystal palace

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new nothingface? erase errata-crystal palace
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted October 20, 2003 18:48     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey dudes
you should go out and buy the new erase errata cd "at the crystal palace" It's awesome, it's the new nothingface. Voivod, you should definitely listen to this cd before making your new album next year to get into that crazy nothingface vibe

|  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted October 21, 2003 01:05     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i cant believe you just said that. now im really gonna kick myself in the ass for being outside their show here last month and leaving because my friends who said they were coming didnt show up. suckage
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted October 21, 2003 07:22     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if I agree with calling that the 'new Nothingface'. If it's a 'new' anything it would be the 'new Dismemberment Plan Are Terrified'.
Max1334
VoivodFan
Member # 202

posted October 22, 2003 18:53     Profile for Max1334   Email Max1334     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ERASE ERRATA!!!!!
GREAT GREAT GREAT BAND )))))))
hey, if you are searchin' for cool new bands, search for
the Vanishing - songs for psychotic children
maybe you could have a good surprise
Max

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 22, 2003 19:22     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not the new nothingface for me but still really worthwhile. And I'm still kicking myself for not picking up their 7" split with Black Dice.
Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted October 22, 2003 21:07     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anything:
Hey dudes
you should go out and buy the new erase eratta cd "at the crystal palace" It's awesome, it's the new nothingface. Voivod, you should definitely listen to this cd before making your new album next year to get into that crazy nothingface vibe

Which nothingface are we talking here? The band?? The album??? The shaving cream???? Is crystal palace a shopping mall or a meth-lab????? Frosted side or wheat side?????? Butter.... or 'spread????????' Big Bush or little Bush???????? WTF?????????

long day...sorry.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 22, 2003 21:30     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is the same Erase Errata that is a 4-piece all female band, right?
I saw them last summer at the OOPS show and they were pretty damn cool.
I'll have to seek this out.

GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted October 22, 2003 22:32     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
......I'm still kicking myself for not picking up their 7" split with Black Dice.

To my opinion, Black Dice was THE WORST show I have ever seen in my life, including everything. It was lame and gay at the same time.

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted October 23, 2003 10:22     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Really doesn't do it for me. I'd rather whack myself over the head repeatedly with a leaky bag of donkey feces. But hey, that's my opinion.

Although, I do have a copy of the album if anyone wants it!

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted October 23, 2003 10:29     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah,
Erase Errata is a 4-girl/woman band from Oakland/San Francisco, CA...to tell you the truth, I think the bassist really has inherited the Blacky's Blower bass sound, really. Check it out. The guitarist has that scratchy, crazy chord and single note captain beefheartian/gang of four/killing joke sound that piggy has on nothingface...the drummer consistently kicks the crazy, catchy, ever changing rhythms, and the singer does her thing...overall, think voivod's nothingface plus captain beefheart, gang of four, killing joke, six finger satellite's awesome "the pigeon is the most popular bird" which everyone here should own, and jesus lizard, king crimson, dog faced hermans, ex, slint, oxes, live skull, earlier sonic youth, early siouxsie and the banshees, bauhaus, joy division, drive like Jehu, Germbox, syd barret era pink floyd, Christian Death's Only Theater of Pain, Pylon, Swan's "Filth," AC Temple, and this should give you some vague and relatively innacurate sense of where erase errata's music lies...My whole thing is that to ever achieve a Nothingface again, Jason really has to step up on bass...Blacky really had a whole sinister funk/new wave/disco thing going on in his bass on Nothingface...same thing with John Wetton's awesome bass on Lark's Tongue in Aspic and Red by King Crimson...that awesome prog rock bass is really funk/disco derived, funky, start stop, hard hitting, on the "one" beat often, much more active and intricate than normal metal bass playing. Can Jason play this way? That's what differentiated Blacky's playing on Nothingface from any other Voivod album since then, though Blacky was definitely developing this sound on Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross. And Piggy's guitar and Away's drums were much more funk/disco, well death-disco oriented on Nothingface too. Not to say dancey, but more beat oriented and rhythmically start stop and complex. Piggy's guitar had those twisted, high pitched chords, scratchy chords that he mostly abandoned in later years for a heavier sound. Even on Killing Technology and Dimension Hattross he had more intricate and high pitched guitar than the lower, heavier sound of albums since. If you really want to know where this nothingface prog rock/post punk sound comes from, it's EARLY 70's JAMES BROWN. Seriously. Check out the collection the CD of JB or James Brown 70's Funk Classics--like doing it to death, super bad, soul power, the payback, sex machine, etc. Tight, intricate, rhythmic drums, and funky, hard hitting blacky bass (the best is with the pre-funkadelic/parlament bootsy collins, originally in James Brown's band), and crazy, scratchy, abrasive, high pitched rhytmic guitar--lots of prog, post punk, and nothingface is a more experimental, twisted take on this 70's manic James Brown funk. Like Six Finger Satellite's amazing "The pigeon is the most popular bird," or much Captain Beefheart, or PIL, or early killing joke--it's twisted scratchy disco cords, mutated disco basslines and drums, like on Nothingface.
Well, so that's where I think Erase Errata's album for me is the new nothingface, besides the fact that it's an album the likes of which I've been waiting to hear for a long time...Hopefully voivod can pick up some of that quirky, complex, experimental intricate death disco, post punk, prog rock, new wave-no wave sound they sort of had/stumbled upon? for nothingface. If not, it'll be good anyway...and throw in some solos this time!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 23, 2003 11:02     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GarbageDay:
To my opinion, Black Dice was THE WORST show I have ever seen in my life, including everything. It was lame and gay at the same time.

tell me more! why was it lame and gay? (i haven't seen BD live and i've heard it can be an, um, difficult show)

lol nell, leaky bag of donkey feces....

thanks for such an indepth description of your point of view, anything. i found that interesting to read. (although i think the overall quirkiness, ie changing meters, had more to do with an influence from music like stravinsky). agreed on 6FS.

GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted October 23, 2003 15:37     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
tell me more! why was it lame and gay? (i haven't seen BD live and i've heard it can be an, um, difficult show)......

Well, maybe my expectations were too high. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've seen every other asshole with his laptop do a gig, and some of the music was at least interesting. These guys, they were boring AND the sounds were just too "safe" maybe, or just stupid. They looked like the kids I wanted to tit-slap, just the look in their eyes.

They had no soul. They looked more bored than I was.

Or maybe it was the setting- I saw them at the NO MUSIC festival in London, ON. Which took place in this hall that was a cross between a church and a high school auditorium-two of the most boring places.
Thank god Incapacitants played right after, though, which was THE BEST act I have ever seen, no joke.

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted October 24, 2003 11:58     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, I was serious - I got a copy of the album here! Please take it!

Someone? Anyone??

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 01, 2003 19:32     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i got this yesterday, listened to it only once so far ..but methinks its fucking raw. its like Black Flag style Estro-TrebleCore. sweet.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 01, 2003 22:23     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thon, would you say this is "seminal" treble-core???
Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 02, 2003 00:34     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, since i just invented that genre name, that would surely be the case. hah!
Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 08, 2003 20:24     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i guess i should check my personal messages more often, jeez, i suck. sorry to concerned party...
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 07, 2003 17:49     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hee hee hee...
See, I told you! It IS the new nothingface!!! Tell me the truth, isn't that what 9 out of 10 people respond with when you play them nothingface--"this bang-a-stupid-noise-for-the-sake-of-banging can hardly be called "music" at all." Exactly, there you go.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 07, 2003 18:05     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
while i like the new Erase Errata, they are not doing anything Screw Radio w/ Greg Ginn hasnt done already. just sayin'.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted December 24, 2003 02:20     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you like any of the bands mentioned above, you might like us. http://www.pointlineplane.net

Erase Errata and Vanishing are friends of ours.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 24, 2003 10:44     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw them here in the 'Burque', but to be honest, I don't remember a goddamned thing about them. I guess I wasn't impressed, or all those $1.50 Schlitz had kicked in.... Maybe it's too early to say they're a "leaky bag of donkey feces" (slurp!).

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan