my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Sea......... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: The Sea.........
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 07, 2003 10:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Talking to Nell this morning on the chat and she mentioned a band she was quite fond of called GREAT BIG SEA. I find this to be kind of odd especially after viewing their website. Apparently their music stirs up a feeling of homesickness for her beloved fishing village back home in Newfoundland. Not to mention her crush on lead singer Alan D. (He's on the left). Just thought I'd throw this out to ya'll. Annki, take note, you might like these guys....

THESEA

|  IP: Logged
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 07, 2003 10:57     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can sure understand her crush on the singer!.

Here in sweden I used to spend the summer out in a small fishing village. Maybe you think it's odd but I also like that kind of music, I have a few albums with "Scafell Pike" a british band who played old fisherman songs and "folk" music.

So "Folk" and "Metal".......Yeah, why not!

Cheers!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 07, 2003 11:50     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

GBS are VERY popular here. They play in town every 2 months. They have this big party downtown every summer where they close off the main drag (Portage and Main) and have bands, concessions, street performers, etc. GBS plays every time. Iguess I'm not a fan. I like my Maritimes music and Celtic music (being a Scot I fucking well better!) but GBS sold out, man. They need to get in touch with their roots.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 07, 2003 12:08     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
gbs are to newfoundland as to what nickleback is to alberta as to what les respectables is to quebec as to....
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 07, 2003 12:48     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remember when I was a little girl sitting together with my father to watch the weeks British Soccer game on TV (a highlight of the week). Just before the game was suppose to start there were some fellows marching in. They had very odd clothes, Skirt's! And they were playing some very peculiar instruments.

Wow, I was stunned, think my ears and eyes just went bigger and bigger. I just loved their music; BAGPIPES and DRUMS....
It was a feeling for this music that just hit me right "in my heart".

Now I have this kind of music on some albums and some casset tape. AND I still like it.

Cheers!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 07, 2003 12:58     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
gbs are to newfoundland as to what nickleback is to alberta as to what les respectables is to quebec as to....

Or pretty much like les Cowboys Fringants, which is, by the way, Skulhead's favorite band.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 07, 2003 14:28     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, there's nothing like a good pipe band. I'm planning on going to see the massed bands at the Glengarry Games in Ontario next year. The university I went to had a world class pipe band (that means they went to Scotland and kicked ass), I used to listen to them rehearse a lot. The bad thing about pipe music is that it makes me all teary but maybe it's my Scottish heritage. This fall I went and visited my ancestor's grave in Vermont. He was a veteran of the Battle of Culloden.
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted October 07, 2003 16:31     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't listen to pipes - they make me cry. Not because they're bad, I just choke up every time I hear 'em. Thanksgiving Day parades on TV, the guy who busks on the corner in downtown Seattle, doesn't matter when or where. I always cry. I figure it's genetic memory...

Megan

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 07, 2003 16:42     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Strange you should mention it makes you cry.
I have no "genetic" relation to Scotland (that I know of) When the "Royal Scotch Dragon Guards" plays Amazing Grace my eyes get filled with tears....

Cheers!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 07, 2003 17:13     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NUCV!!!! Dude, I saw a concert of GBS on PBS and have to say that it was the rockingest show I'd seen outside of John Cougar Mellencamp. Next time they're in town, YOU HAVE TO GO!!! You may see Nell on the side of the stage too. She volunteered for their world tour as a dishwasher/cook. Those bastards eat a hell of a lot of grilled salmon.

And I thought Lord of the Dance was awesome....

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted October 07, 2003 17:52     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My wife and I saw GBS at Avalon here in Boston on St. Patrick's day back in 98 or 99. They have some really great songs, actually. All of them have good voices and one or two are multi-instrumentalists. I'm a sucker for a good bodhran solo!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 07, 2003 18:29     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now that's why I like this board. Where else can you discuss bodhrán solos? Note to Kula, consider this for the next TGTASE release.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 07, 2003 19:41     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've seen them. Meh. Now THESE guys rock:
http://www.meninkilts.ca/

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 08, 2003 02:37     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
I've seen them. Meh. Now THESE guys rock:
http://www.meninkilts.ca/

Yes! They really do rock..."On the hills of Connemara..." Yyyeehhhiii.

Really like this board too!

Cheers!

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted October 08, 2003 05:41     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mezcalhead, you absolute bastard.

You're totally ruining my street cred here.

How's this for a pair of hot babes? Oh baby, I'm gonna have sweet dreams tonight!

Hunky!

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 08, 2003 06:19     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nell:
Mezcalhead, ...............
Hunky!

Very, very ho- eehhh hmm nnnaaaaa! What a pair of -----!
Don't worry Nell, they can't ruin anything for you!....

Cheers!

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted October 08, 2003 06:35     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Huh? Wtf?
Sorry Annki, what are you on about?

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 08, 2003 07:04     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did I misunderstand you Nell? Who are those guy's on the picture? I didn't think they looked to hot! well, the one on the left don't look so bad.

cheers!

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted October 08, 2003 07:11     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, apologies my dear. I suppose you'd have to be Canadian to recognize Alan Doyle from Great Big Sea having a good 'ol chat with the singer from another Canadian 'treasure' The Barenaked Ladies (who happens to be wearing a St John's Maple Leafs shirt)...!
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted October 08, 2003 07:15     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, so Alan Doyle is the one to the left!
What can I say, they have so much clothes on..........Poor excuse! Made a fool of myself! ....But, of course I'm not canadian I'm just a swede!

Cheers Nell!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 08, 2003 08:58     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This thread is so canadian, I feel like I'm watching an after-school show on CBC.

Anyway, my wife owns a GBS album. It's called "Play", it's good but we don't "play" it very often (haha, I'm so fucking clever, get it? It's called "Play" and you "play" it, haha, ha, ahem).

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 08, 2003 10:30     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll agree with you Kane that for what THE SEA does, they do it alright. But I was laughing my ass off watching their show the other night. I was about to cut it cause the music was beginning to wear my ass out and then suddenly they cut to ol'Alan sitting on a dock in front of a fishing boat explaining what his songs are about. He's saying how such and such song is about the fishermen from his hometown and all their sacrifices and misery...blah blah blah....what's funny is you can see a couple of guys behind him sweating their asses off down in a boat bringing fish in and wondering who the fucker is on top of their dock with the camera crew shining lights on him.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 08, 2003 11:08     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nell:

How's this for a pair of hot babes? Oh baby, I'm gonna have sweet dreams tonight!

One of my friends once yelled "Bare Naked LOSERS!!" out the car window at that band and I swear I almost peed myself laughing. Of course they had the last laugh with a US recording deal....

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted October 08, 2003 11:50     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They may have had the last laugh, but that doesn't make the music suck any less!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 10, 2003 09:55     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm.

Maybe that could be a good Title for the next Sister Exchange Album!

Sister Exchange - Bare Naked

Then we could pose on the cover with just Maple Leaves over our private parts.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan