my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Pronunciations

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pronunciations
Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted September 29, 2003 17:17     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a stupid question from a southerner. I was wondering how to pronounce a couple band names (there's probably more than a couple if I thought long enough about it). One is Samael. A buddy and I went to the Samael, Strapping Young Lad, Cathedral, Armani Death Machine gig in Atlanta last week. The guy I was with kept pronouncing Samael like Samuel, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge. I asked him if that was how it's pronounced and he said that he thought so. We didn't hang around for their performance (by the way, missed ya Mez) because neither of us figured it was possible for them to top SYL, who were
unbelievable (as was Cathedral).
The other pronunciation I was wondering about was Dimmu Borgir, who will be coming to Atlanta in November w/Children of Bodom and Nevermore.
I know this seems a dumb inquiry but hell, it you lived here for awhile you'd understand.

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 29, 2003 18:14     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, on the "Godless Savage Garden" CD, Shagrath pronounces the name of the band clearly on one of the live tracks, it's like "Dee-moo Bor-geer".

Samael? I have my way of pronouncing it, but, as I also don't know if it's the correct way, I'll just keep it for myself.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted September 29, 2003 18:35     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's Sam-eye-el. But I am probably wrong.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 29, 2003 20:08     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn LD, sure wish I could have met ya'll at that show as well. SYL would have definitely been worth a trip. I think CITY is one of my all time favorite metal albums. Hope you're surviving down there. Its starting to get cold as a witch's tit down here.
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted September 30, 2003 03:24     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I understand that sama-yell is a better option for you english speaking folks but me european fuck would pronounce the name:
samma-hell...

and King Diamond pronounces it quite the same way in the song "Victimized" (on the album Conspiracy):
"The reverend Sammael, the venom of GOD himself"
"Sammael, GOD in his eyes"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 30, 2003 09:07     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, I pronounce Samael right after all... And you're right, Outcast, the King pronounces it "Sama-ell" on the Conspiracy album.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 30, 2003 11:21     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I pronounce "Samael" as "they suck".

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted October 01, 2003 03:34     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
they somewhat do these days...
but "Ceremony of Opposites" remains one fucking evil black metal record.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan