my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » I ain't f-f-f-foolin'..... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: I ain't f-f-f-foolin'.....
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted September 27, 2003 14:57     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So went to their show last night in Clark County and I have to say that Def Leppard rocked! I always liked them back in the day, but was never a huge fan. I never owned an album by them and I never did catch them live either. I only just sang along to their songs on the radio, but I am really glad that I decided to tag along with some friends last night. Funny how I knew all their songs and remembered the words (except for the new ones, which were not bad either). They were having such a great time on stage and I was surprised at how good they all looked. Honestly, I was expecting them to be old and run down, but what I witnessed was the opposite. The crowd was exactly what I expected - mid to late 30's crowd and tons of bleach blonde haired girls still trying to fit into their skin tight jeans! Ha ha, for a while there I thought I was the ony brunette in the place The skinny but buff blonde guitarist is so damn cute!! Hell, I don't even know his name, wasn't it Colin something or another? I love skinny white boys Anyway, just wanted to pass this along and say that if you were, or still are a fan, you won't be disappointed
 |  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 27, 2003 15:35     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a confession to make. The first album I ever bought was Def's Pyromania. At the time, I thought this was what they called heavy metal. Everything soon changed for me when I traded my next tape purchase (GNR's Appetite)for Slayer's Reign in Blood in my 8th grade english class. Royce told me, dude, this band will change your life forever.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 28, 2003 20:46     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was NEVER a fan of Def Leppard in the 80's, or even '90's. But last winter, i saw that one of my buddies had the Pyromania vinyl and i borrowed it, for a laugh..... It stayed on the turntable for weeks. Tons of great rock riffs on there. I love the record.... i never gave him back the LP either.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 28, 2003 21:20     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Skul, écoute la fin de Foolin'; tu peux très bien les entendre chanter "Ah, ah, fourrer Marcel!"

Sorry, you have to speak french to understand the joke!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 28, 2003 22:57     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"High-N-Dry" still fucking rules to this very day!!!

Their first album "On through the Night" kicks ass as well.

They went downhill rapidly after those two albums. "Pyromania" has a couple good tunes on it, but IMHO it was their first sign of commercial disaster.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 29, 2003 00:14     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pyromania is a great rock record. I still dig it. Gunter glieben glauchen globen....
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 29, 2003 07:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any metalhead who was around when the new wave of british heavy metal was taking over could not deny the power of Def Lep at the time. If you're too young you probably won't understand. They kicked ass then and it's good to see them still playin'.

Glad ya had fun hypergrrl...by the way that was Phil Collin on guitar...the other skinny blonde white boy they had died. I guess Vivian Cambell is still in the band on 2nd guitar.

I was like MEZ and moved on to the heavier metal that was coming out at the time and lost interest in the Leps after Pyromania, and after they added the hokey keyboards in the remix of High and Dry...don't fuck with it if it already sounds good.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 29, 2003 10:03     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, Pyromania is a great album. High And Dry is also good, shame they went downhill after Pyro. Anyway, Def Leppard rocks, even if they are nowadays recording songs from the same author of the Backstreet Boys songs or something.
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted September 29, 2003 11:11     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, thanks for not ripping me a new one! It was definitely a blast from the past and I got a free $5.00 beer from some guy who didn't have a wristband and I did.....I feel so used

Yes Phil Collin and yes, Vivian Campbell was playing with them. I recently found Pyromania on vinyl so as soon as get my record player going I can listen to it. I got the record player for my birthday in July, along with "Unleashed in the East", but I guess I need an amplifier to make it work cause it doesn't work with my stereo?!? WTF?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 29, 2003 11:34     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
I got the record player for my birthday in July, along with "Unleashed in the East", but I guess I need an amplifier to make it work cause it doesn't work with my stereo?!? WTF?

Yeah, WTF with that? I once buyed a used record player but it didn't work on my Sony sound system, even tho I had the good plugs and stuff (yes, I did put the red plug in the red hole and everything).

Any tips from all you vinyl spinners?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 29, 2003 13:16     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:
Yeah, WTF with that? I once buyed a used record player but it didn't work on my Sony sound system, even tho I had the good plugs and stuff (yes, I did put the red plug in the red hole and everything).

Does your receiver have a 'phono' input or are you just plugging into a cd/tape input? If you don't have the 'phono' input, than your receiver does not have a pre-amp for your turntable, in which case you will need to buy one at Radio-Shack, online or whatever.

This is most likely your problem and should be a fairly cheap fix.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 29, 2003 13:18     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some modern amplifiers are not prepared for turntables. Because the signal coming from turntables is usually very weak, you need an extra pre-amp. Amps with a phono-input usually have an inbuilt pre-amp. Amps without phono-input (aux-input only) don't.

Back to topic: 'High & Dry' (the vinyl version ) is a good album. I like 'On Through the Night' also.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 29, 2003 13:21     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:

Maybe your Sony sound system does not accept those old Richard Marx vinyls?

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 29, 2003 13:27     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha, must have been typing at the same time as X-D!

Slaytanic, didn't you know audiophiles use Richard Marx vinyls as reference material?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 29, 2003 13:28     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well thanks for the infos, y'all!

And Mr. Slaytanic:

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 29, 2003 13:31     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
Slaytanic, didn't you know audiophiles use Richard Marx vinyls as reference material?

Yes, along with Dark Side of the Moon, Dire Straits and Steely Dan. I can see that.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted September 29, 2003 15:20     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys. Pay day is Friday, so I should be playing DJ by Saturday afternoon!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 29, 2003 15:54     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:

No, honestly. I thought audiophobics used Richard Marx as reference material.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted October 01, 2003 00:33     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmmm....I have a secret that's been eating away at my soul. As was the case with my (hyper)sis when she was contemplating whether or not to confess her attendance at a Def Leppard concert, I'm also reluctant to confess to the world my love for.....Hysteria! I can't hold it in any longer! Those damn melodies hooked me in back in the day and still do even in my ripe old age of 30something!
I feel great! Thanx to this forum for allowing me to get this off my shoulders after 15yrs. or so.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 01, 2003 05:21     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
slugbutt - you are now on your way to complete recovery...congratulations
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted October 01, 2003 11:52     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slugbutt:
Thanx to this forum for allowing me to get this off my shoulders after 15yrs. or so.

That's Hysterical! But, I have another issue I need you need to back me up on K-Bro:

Warcorpse, I was checking out your Tour section and came across a date/city that I believe is incorrect. To the best of my recollection, Voivod was in Albuquerque on February 14, 1990 at the Sunshine Theater, not Illinois. I have a flyer I can scan and send to you if you'd like!

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted October 01, 2003 23:09     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
That's Hysterical! But, I have another issue I need you need to back me up on K-Bro:

Warcorpse, I was checking out your Tour section and came across a date/city that I believe is incorrect. To the best of my recollection, Voivod was in Albuquerque on February 14, 1990 at the Sunshine Theater, not Illinois. I have a flyer I can scan and send to you if you'd like!

Yup, I have the same flyer. Or is it yours? Do you remember sitting on the stage while they ran thru a soundcheck?
very cool indeed!

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted October 02, 2003 10:27     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slugbutt:

Yup, I have the same flyer. Or is it yours? Do you remember sitting on the stage while they ran thru a soundcheck?
very cool indeed!

Nah, I have my flyer here with me and I of course I remember that soundcheck!! I also remember Away eating a piece of frozen cheesecake!

You know, we have to thank Matt Cameron for that Voivod experience I had a great time driving down Central singing, "Down, down far under ground...." with him

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 02, 2003 11:10     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Nah, I have my flyer here with me and I of course I remember that soundcheck!! I also remember Away eating a piece of frozen cheesecake!

You know, we have to thank Matt Cameron for that Voivod experience I had a great time driving down Central singing, "Down, down far under ground...." with him

Cool story! And there goes that Legend of the Voivodian Cheesecake again! Probably a gift given to Piggy, who is the cheesecake aficionados in Voivod!

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted October 02, 2003 18:09     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Legend of the Voivodian Cheesecake"....hmm, now there's a concept album, but I don't think I know that story

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan