my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » N. America's first authorized drug injection site opens in Vancouver

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: N. America's first authorized drug injection site opens in Vancouver
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted September 16, 2003 03:41     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Monday, Sep 15, 2003

VANCOUVER (CP) - While some of its potential clients huddled nearby, North America's first authorized drug-injection site had its long-awaited official opening Monday.

The so-called safe-injection site won't be open to addicts for a week or so, but its political backers greeted the move with whoops and cheers.

But there were also emotional memories of addicts killed by overdoses and disease caused by drug use.

"The first thing that went through my head is the huge number of people that have died and the number that I saw and had to deal with their families," said Vancouver Mayor Larry Campbell.

As city coroner, Campbell was often called to the poverty-stricken Downtown Eastside, where a vacant building was renovated to house the new safe-injection site.

The controversial government-funded project, which will give users injection kits and allow them to shoot up inside under nurse supervision, won't end addiction, said Campbell, but he predicted it will soon make a visible difference.

"Most importantly, we won't have to take people out of these hotels time and time again," said Campbell, referring to the run-down buildings that dot the crumbling neighbourhood.

Thirty-seven people have died already from overdoses in Vancouver this year, he said.

Drug users sometimes will use dirty needles and water from puddles to shoot up. Now, addicts wanting to use the new facility will be ushered into a brightly-lit room lined on one side by open, mirrored booths where they can inject drugs.

After finishing, they will be taken to a "chill out room," where they can receive counselling and peer referrals.

On Monday morning, knots of raggedly dressed people huddled at a street corner just metres from the new site.

One long-time drug user said he hoped the pilot project would make a difference in his neighbourhood.

Steven Bannon, 43, said he knows too many people who have died from diseases acquired through drug use.

"A person who chooses to use the injection site, the main thing, I think, is less risk of HIV," said the soft-spoken man.

Melody Kitchener, 41, said she would be comfortable using the injection site.

"I've used on the street, but I don't like to," said Kitchener, who has been using drugs for 28 years. "You know what they say, it's not a good idea to use alone."

Not everyone was celebrating the site's opening Monday.

The pilot project represents the wrong approach to combating addiction, said Canadian Alliance MP Randy White.

"The priority to get people off drugs, not keep people on drugs," said White. "Every cent we spend away from that objective is money wasted."

Health Canada has committed $1.5 million to pay for research during the pilot project and the B.C. government will also give $2 million to help cover costs.

Another $1.2 million from British Columbia went toward renovation costs.

But that money is just going toward creating a legal zone for drugs, said White.

"If somebody suggests this will get people off drugs or prevent HIV, that is not the case," he said.

Concerns have also been raised about whether a police presence in the area will scare off potential users.

On Monday morning, two officers stood across the street from the injection site.

Officers would be working in the general area and want to facilitate addicts being able to use the injection site, said city police Chief Jamie Graham.

But the street in front of the injection site will not be a "bubble zone" for drug dealers, he said.

"It is not the police intention to intervene or interfere with anyone entering the site unless there is a lawful reason to do so," said Graham.

"The site will not be a sanctuary for anyone (who is the) subject of an arrest warrant or someone who is or was engaged in criminal activity.

"Routine visits by other police officers to the site are not envisioned at this time as we accept that a reasonable degree of comfort must be developed."

Standing with other drug-users outside the site, Bannon said he didn't think a police presence would drive off many people.

"Some might see it that way," he said. "I don't see it that way."

© The Canadian Press, 2003

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 16, 2003 07:07     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do they take bookings for bands to play in the chill-out room?
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 16, 2003 09:49     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as I know, the first McDonalds was open some 40 years ago, so the most they can claim is a real far second.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted September 16, 2003 22:44     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whatever happened to the filthy, stench-ridden opium dens of yesteryear? Damn I miss those...

Any room would be a chill-out room after pumping several CC's of pure redrum into my vein.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 17, 2003 08:56     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All this whiney bollocks about people having to inject in the street using water from puddles and getting AIDS.

Fuck 'em!

When I was in prison I used a ballpoint pen and my own piss to inject skag. And I got my dose of AIDS the old-school way, administered via the arse by a Bullyrammer!

######

Heroin addicts are the most pathetic cunts who exist. Its no ones fault they're in that mess but their own.

Unless you're like, Gene Hackman in the French Connection, you know, where they tie you up and pump it into you against you will (at first). I hated that (at first).

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted September 17, 2003 22:32     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Sikorsky:
Unless you're like, Gene Hackman in the French Connection, you know, where they tie you up and pump it into you against you will (at first).

Or like in that movie Ricochet with John Lithgow the psychotic escaped convict who shoots up Denzel Washington (District Attorney) and makes him screw some whore and videotaped it to send to his wife. That sounds like fun...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan