my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » What is your favorite RUSH Album? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: What is your favorite RUSH Album?
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 13, 2003 16:48     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not to start any great debates here, but i would have to choose:

Hemispheres (1978. Produced by Terry Brown.)

The whole Album is brilliant from start to finish.
Other factors that, to me, make it theyre best are:

*Terry Brown in the Production Chair.
It is unfortunate that things didnt work out between Blacky and him durring Angel Rat,
but one must appreciate his work with Rush as theyre "4th Bandmember."
This Album is a good piece of work on his part.

*Neil Peart on that great sounding Slingerland set.
His whole set sounded better back then. Especially his Snare sound.

*Geddy Lee and that unmatched Rickenbacher Bass.
My favorite Bass in the whole world. Black & White and punch to get through.

*Alex Lifeson on that White Gibson Double Neck.
That plus the Les Paul models he used. To me, nothing matches the sound of a Gibson.
Also, back in 1978 Alex still had his long Hair! lol!

Rush had also toured with the Max Webster Band durring those years.
They had some pretty good music then too.

|  IP: Logged
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted September 13, 2003 17:00     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Different Stages...I know I'm kinda cheating by answering this way, but I like live albums. Plus it's 3 disks and they cover pretty much their whole career on it. It even has 2112 in its entirety.

Megan

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 13, 2003 17:12     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've only got 2 (vinyl) albums "2112" and "A Farewell To Kings" and I can't choose between them.

Could use some advise; should I get the live albúm Megan mentioned or the King Kula's fav?
(Don't remember why I stopped listening to/buying their albums).

Cheers!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted September 13, 2003 17:48     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a 4-way toss up:

1. Hemispheres
2. Permanent Waves
3. Moving Pictures
4. Signals

An unmatched continuous string of quality studio output for Rush

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted September 13, 2003 18:05     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MOVING PICTURES. Before this, I was never really was a fan, due to Geddy's voice and my first impressions of them in regard to MTV videos like "Red Sector A" and "Big Money." In 1990 I hear it at a friends house and liked it enough to borrow it. Focused on the music and not the vocals, and consequently got sucked in. Ironically, this was around the same time I bought "Nothingface" but I couldn't digest it right away. Some weeks later, I gave it another try, and recognized a similarity between "Tom Sawyer" (and later "Spirit of Radio") and the song "Nothingface." Quite a musical revelation for me absorbing those riffs, and hence, a new Voivod fan was born as well.
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 13, 2003 19:30     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grace Under Pressure

Their bleakest.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted September 13, 2003 21:13     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pick any one between Fly by Night and Moving Pictures, they all have their merits. Counterparts was the only album since then that held a candle to these.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted September 14, 2003 03:11     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My favorite Rush album has to be "Rush"...

1. Finding My Way (5:06)
2. Need Some Love (2:19)
3. Take A Friend (4:24)
4. Here Again (7:35)
5. What You're Doing (4:22)
6. In The Mood (3:34)
7. Before and After (5:34)
8. Working Man (7:10)

Geddy Lee - Lead vocals & bass
Alex Lifeson - Guitars & vocals
John Rutsey - Drums & vocals

What I like about this, their first album which was released in 1974, is the fact that it is just your basic straight ahead rock without alot of frills and sophistication. Great for a party where you want to put everyone in a good, upbeat mood! This album even predates Neil Peart and sounds nothing like their later albums. I like the image of this album as well. Just three young fairly innocent guys who were partiers who liked to have a good time and wail away on their instruments! Nothing wrong with that!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 14, 2003 05:42     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tend to listen to:
Hold Your Fire
Presto
Power Windows

the most, because lyrically they are brilliant. I have every official release RUSH has put out and it's really hard to pick what to play because they have changed a lot thru thier carreer (which is why I like them) but the last few releases have been a major dissapointment for me.

THE TREES has always been one of my favorite tunes (incredible imagery), and La Villa Strangiato is an instrumental monster!!!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 14, 2003 11:06     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anybody know whatever happened to John Rutsey?
I have been wondering about that for years now.

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted September 14, 2003 11:21     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rutsey was a professional bodybuilder last I heard.

Caress Of Steel is my least fave while Grace Under Pressure has become my favorite in the last 5 years. Doomed as doom can be!

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 14, 2003 11:59     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll go with Moving Pictures as fave album. Exit Stage Left is better, but that would be like cheating

"edit"
Hehe, 5 minutes after i posted i found a vid of Exit stage left + a víd of Kreators Extreme aggression tour, Downloading right now. This will be a good Sunday night

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 14, 2003 13:32     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup, John Rusty is a pro body-builder. Geddy Lee said in an interview last year that they were still mates and went out for a beer now and again. He was in Rush from 1968 throough to 1974(?) and he'd had enough of that lifestyle, wanted to settle down. Apparently he doesn't regret his decision. He was a shit hot drummer on the Pink and White album though.

I'm with Kula on this one. Hemispheres.

It's fucking tough to choose number 2 though! The last album? The forthcoming DVD?

I love Different Stages too, especially the old Hammersmith show.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted September 14, 2003 14:57     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No offense but that first Rush album is shite, IMO.
I can't even listen to the first 3. Never could.

piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted September 14, 2003 18:16     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hard one but my most listen one is exit....stage left! la villa strangetto rules
I play that to anyone who dissses rush!

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 14, 2003 18:17     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've spent some time listening to the Rush albums I've got. Can't help it; I'm not comfortable with the vocals. The music and the lyrics are great.

Maybe I can get used to Geddy's voice.
During this period (1978) so much new music influences "crossed my way", maybe I had to much to choose between.

Cheers!

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted September 15, 2003 03:14     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Then again it is interesting how people's tastes change over time. If you were to tell me when I was like eighteen years old that one day I would actually attend a Tom Jones concert (4 times) and own a Frank Sinatra Greatest Hits C.D., I would have laughed and asked you about what the heck you were on because I definatly needed some of it! Then again, having just said that, I must admit that Geddy Lee's voice can at times be unbearable! At least for me. To each his or her own. In regards to their first album, Tangento thinks it sucks shit but what the hay, I like it. The only Rush tape I almost semi-semi-semi-regularly listen to is side one of cassette two of Rush Chronicles. Oh yeah, I don't know if I should admit to this but I also own an old beatup (GASP!!!) K-Tel "Rock 80" cassette tape which features "Spirit of radio" by Rush and a cool Max Webster song: "Paradise Skies". Any Pat Benatar fans out there? "Heartbreaker" is on it as well.
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 15, 2003 06:51     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi El Indio.
I understand your point. If someboby told me that I was going to have albums with Placido Domingo and Andrea Bocelli, and that I actually was going to enjoy opera arias, I think I would have laughed.

I do have other music than "Metal". I bought an album of Harry Belafonte half a year ago, just because I like his voice very much.(and of course the calypso rythm).

To me it's been very important to stay openminded to music. I am a big fan of Voivod, but that fact doesn't exclude other music. Voivod is special, but I listen to many kinds of music. Hmmmmm ....I'm very fond of UB40....

Cheers!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 15, 2003 08:57     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Though one. I'd say Farewell to Kings and Moving Pictures. Farewell has the best guitar sound ever. Oh and there's 2112; I would spend my teenage nights playing along this album from beginning to end. It was very fun to play, and not that hard as it may seem (of course I didn't play the drums!).

By the way, I think that the Confessor singer sounds a lot like Geddy Lee. Check out that thread and the samples.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 15, 2003 09:51     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm with Maldoror on that. Farewell to Kings AND Moving Pictures. Both are great albums from start to finish. Absolutely no filler.
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 16, 2003 11:24     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:
.........By the way, I think that the Confessor singer sounds a lot like Geddy Lee. Check out that thread and the samples.
....Yeah they sound alike, but their style is different.
Checked what albums I bought after Rush, seems like I went into a diversity of music; "Barclay James Harvest", "Moody Blues", "Roger
Daltrey", "Kayak", "Enid".... and of course last but defenitely not least THIN LIZZY.

Found a couple of tracks from "Moving Pictures" on the web, they are downloaded. now I just have to listen and "get in" to them.

cheers!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 16, 2003 11:42     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I,m not the biggest RUSH fan in the world, but i love the Moving Pictures album. There's not another record from their catalog that i enjoy from top to bottom like this one. However. i like several tracks from the others albums. Like "The Trees", "Subdivisions", "Passage to Bankok", "Double Standard", "Stick It Out", etc etc etc.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 16, 2003 11:44     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Indio:
Oh yeah, I don't know if I should admit to this but I also own an old beatup (GASP!!!) K-Tel "Rock 80" cassette tape which features "Spirit of radio" by Rush and a cool Max Webster song: "Paradise Skies". Any Pat Benatar fans out there? "Heartbreaker" is on it as well.

Ahah. dude, i had that LP as a kid. It had "My Sharona" on it too! And some Blondie. I also had Rock 81 too. Hehe.

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 16, 2003 12:55     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
My favorite rush album is "Speak English or Die", it was recorded and mixed in four days.

"We just wanted to get it done," said guitarist Scott Ian.

You mean this one?

S.O.D. were in a rush....

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 16, 2003 14:39     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna have to say Grace Under Pressure. It just has this atmosphere...I can't explain it. It would be followed very closely by:

2. Farewell To Kings
3. Signals
4. Hemispheres
5. 2112
6. Caress Of Steel
7. Moving Pictures
8.....I can't decide anymore.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan