my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Eat More Dogs, Cambodians Urged

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eat More Dogs, Cambodians Urged
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted September 12, 2003 00:51     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Cambodians are being urged to eat more dogs as part of a crackdown on stray mutts wandering around the capital of the southeast Asian nation.

Although dogs, along with creepy-crawlies such as spiders, beetles and crickets, are found regularly on menus in deeply impoverished rural areas, eating them is frowned upon in the relative sophistication of Phnom Penh.

City governor Kep Chuktema says it is now time to draw up a special pooch policy to control the growing problem of pavement-fouling strays, and for city-dwellers to throw off their traditional snootiness toward dining on man's best friend.

"Come on, dog meat is so delicious," he was quoted as saying in Thursday's Cambodia Daily newspaper. "The Vietnamese and Koreans love to eat dog meat."

"(Cambodians) don't have wine, but poor people can enjoy their dog meat with palm juice wine," he said.

Hitherto, Phnom Penh dog lovers have had to keep their tastes under wraps by asking for 'special' or 'jogging cow' meat in restaurants.

|  IP: Logged
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted September 12, 2003 12:49     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have seen some brutal video of dogs being killed to control the population. On one of them they had stuffed a lot of dogs into a bamboo cage and submerged the whole thing in water. Just brutal. I like dogs.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 12, 2003 12:53     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
me too ant, me too.
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted September 12, 2003 13:03     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How could anyone hurt a dog?

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted September 12, 2003 13:29     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 12, 2003 13:43     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Our dog Ari. 11 years old now. An african "Basenji" people call the breed "The barkless dog", 'cause they never bark. But they do make a lot of other noises instead.

Cheers!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 12, 2003 14:02     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aww. He's a cute little feller, Annki!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 12, 2003 14:06     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He's so cute, he's cute like... like... like HatrossRig!

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted September 12, 2003 14:11     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Annki you've got a Basenji! My mom used to breed them when I was a kid. We had 22 at one time...16 puppies and 6 adults = sheer chaos. All in-house dogs too. We called 'em the "thundering herd." After my parents divorced she stopped breeding them, and the last one died a year ago. That was Maidie - she was 16 years old. She was my dog...my mom always said we had the same personality...but I don't think she meant it as a compliment.

Megan

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 12, 2003 14:17     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you Lycantrophy and Maldoror. Sure you notice I'm a proud owner, we are, I should say. My youngest daughter is a few months older so they grew up together.

Cute, yes he is! He is even more cute than HatrossRig........

Cheers!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 12, 2003 14:21     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Hey Kane, I'm pretty sure that sailor dog is in Turbonegro. That reminds me, who is NOT going to see them??? Out of those of you who like seriously gay rock that is.

Fri 09/12/03 - Washington, DC -Black Cat
Sat 09/13/03 - Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
Sun 09/14/03 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza
Mon 09/15/03 - Philadelphia, PA - Theatre Of Living Arts
Wed 09/17/03 - Cambridge, MA - Middle East Club
Thu 09/18/03 - Montreal, QC - Cabaret Music Hall SOLD OUT!
Fri 09/19/03 - Toronto, ON - Lee's Palace
Sat 09/20/03 - Cleveland, OH - Agora Theatre
Mon 09/22/03 - Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
Tue 09/23/03 - Chicago, IL - Metro / Smart Bar
Wed 09/24/03 - Milwaukee, WI - The Rave / Eagles Ballroom
Thu 09/25/03 - Minneapolis, MN - Fine Line Music Cafe
Sat 09/27/03 - Lawrence, KS - The Bottleneck
Sun 09/28/03 - Dallas, TX - Gypsy Tea Room
Mon 09/29/03 - Austin, TX - Emo's
Wed 10/01/03 - Phoenix, AZ - Mason Jar
Thu 10/02/03 - San Diego, CA - Canes
Fri 10/03/03 - Los Angeles, CA - Henry Fonda Theatre
Sat 10/04/03 - San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
Sun 10/05/03 - San Francisco, CA - Slim's
Mon 10/06/03 - Portland, OR - Aladdin Theater
Tue 10/07/03 - Seattle, WA - Graceland
appearing with "Livid 2003"
Sat 10/11/03 - Sydney, AUS - Moore Park
Sun 10/12/03 - Melbourne, AUS - Melbourne Park
Sat 10/18/03 - Brisbane, AUS - R.N.A. Showgrounds

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 12, 2003 14:30     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
Annki you've got a Basenji! My mom used to breed them when I was a kid. We had 22 at one time...16 puppies and 6 adults = sheer chaos. ............. That was Maidie - she was 16 years old. She was my dog...my mom always said we had the same personality...but I don't think she meant it as a compliment.

Megan

Megan we must have been writing at the same time.
Basenji as a breed can be very stubborn, but their charm is amazing. I think you can take it as a sort of a copliment, I sometimes think my daughter and Ari is behaving the same way.
What is the name of your mothers kennel? There are not so many or were not so many that was breeding this special dog.
My Ari is from Elisabet Selinus, Kennel Senjisfinx here in sweden. I know she is mentioned in the book Susan Coe wrote.

I also had a bitch, her name was Kindu and she was an english import, I got her when she was 2 years. She needed a "rescue" home. Unfortenately she died when she was 7 because of a brain tumour.

Here we "meet" at a voivod forum founding out we both have been in touch with basenjis. sometimes the world is small!

Cheers and "yodel".

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted September 12, 2003 15:12     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My mom's kennel was Simmba (yes, with 2 m's). We started with a dog from Cecilia Wozniak's Land of Woz kennel in Indiana and kinda went from there. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure we were the only kennel breeding basenjis in Montana. Not a lot of demand for this type of dog there, I'm afraid.

Yes, they are stubborn aren't they!? We did obedience training for Streak, our first dog, and well...suffice to say he got "most improved" by the end of the class.

Megan

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 12, 2003 21:45     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.aapn.org/peixian%20images/fxt42.jpg

http://www.aapn.org/peixian%20images/fxt41.jpg

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted September 13, 2003 19:42     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SADIE SAYZ: "I've eaten coffee grounds, beer labels, wood chips, and my own collar among other things. BUT I DON'T EAT DOGS. AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. NOW QUIT LICKING YOUR CHOPS AND THROW THE FUCKING BALL!!!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 26, 2003 08:29     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Waaaaaaaa! I just heard Posion Idea is opening for Turbonegro in Portland on October 6. That could be a pretty amazing show.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan