my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Favorite CD - Lp cover? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Favorite CD - Lp cover?
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 11, 2003 14:34     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's the coolest cover artwork?

1. Venom, Welcome to hell.
In 81 when i found the Lp that cover told me exactly what to expect, and i wasn't dissapointed. Evil riffs and a great explanation of what the word mayhem is all about. Simple but effective!

2. Celtic Frost, To Mega Therion.
Simply amazing.

I probably will think of others tomorrow,been at the pub and am in aggressivemode musicwise

|  IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 11, 2003 14:45       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love Morbid Tales(celtic Frost)
Maddest stories ever told(The Accused)
Ride the Lightning(Metallica)
Hall of the Mountain King(Savatage)
Killing is my business..(Megadeth)
Most of the sexually explicit covers from the Scorpions.
And all of the Voivod covers but i think i really get into the covers more when the music is Excellent and HEAVY!!!
...And NOITALL'S cover... and without the cover

IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 11, 2003 14:57     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sooo many to choose from! This is one area where cds pale in comparison to vinyl.

Yes had some excellent covers, Relayer and Fragile come to mind.

Voivod's Rrroooaaarrr is also one of my favs.

Mahogany Rush's Strange Universe and Child of the Novelty are also beautiful. Some scans of those can be found here.
Also Nektar!

Living Evil, have you seen the banned cover for the Scorpion's "Virgin Killer" album. Oh my...

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted September 11, 2003 15:45     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod - Killing Tech
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Most of the covers made by Dan Seagrave (Entombed, Dismember, Morbid Angel, Pestilence)
www.danseagrave.com

The Art - Covers

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 11, 2003 15:45     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was going to say "Relayer" and there it is, X-D!

I think the nicest looking cover is "Ride The Lightning", such a cool colour. Followed by "Revelations" by Killing Joke and "Dual" by Loop, both also blue. "Whats This For...?" by KJ is a bit better, mind

Scum is great, too. Also the 1st two Carcass ones.

I thoroughly mourn the passing of vinyl.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted September 11, 2003 15:52     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Iron Maiden - Everything Derek Riggs
Cannibal Corpse - Everything but The Bleeding
Venom - Black Metal
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Black Sabbath - S/T, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
plus many more including the ones already posted.

I agree with X-D about the vinyl/cd comparison. I know it's too late now, but why not just pakage cd's in the old 12" jackets, or at least something a little bigger. I don't know why bands even waste money on album covers anymore. The art is too small to be appreciated. I used to love staring at the old Maiden album covers with all of the little details Riggs threw in. Can't do it with cd's.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 11, 2003 16:04     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Many Ratos de Porão covers are among my favourites:

Crucificados pelo sistema, a punk classic:

Brasil, the best, a portrait of (sadly) the worst part of my country:

Feijoada acidente?, a tribute to Guns'n'Roses??? This is (barely) how feijoada look like. Put some rice above it and... Yummy!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 11, 2003 16:31     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Death - The Sound of Perseverence
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Voivod - Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

Just a few off the top of my head.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 11, 2003 16:51     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spinal Tap - Smell the Glove.

Seriously tho... here's some i can think of at the moment..

Mercyful Fate - Dont Break the Oath / 9
King Diamond - Them
Voivod - RRRoooaaarrr
Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
Destruction - Infernal Overkill
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion (freaked my parents out)
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Exorcist - Nightmare Theatre (ZOMBIES!! everyone loves zombies!)
Lard - Pure Chewing Satisfaction (the entire booklet)

But the best album cover i've ever seen was actually never released as intented. It was the original banned cover for Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh. Ads prior to the album's release had the original art on them, but sadly when the record came out, it was just a photo of the band at a bar with skulls in front of 'em. The original artwork later surfaced (in a mangled form, and cropped out of shape) on the limited edition picture disc version of the album.
I have that cover around here somewhere, i think. Not scanned, tho.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted September 11, 2003 16:59     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(the 3 Ratos de Porao are highly recommended - but I'd say 'Feijoada Acidente? - International' version)
cheers Slaytanic!

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted September 11, 2003 17:18     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
But the best album cover i've ever seen was actually never released as intented. It was the original banned cover for Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh.

Ah yes, that's the illustration where they are all in the jungle eating people out of a cauldron with blood and bones laying all over the place. Damn censors. They should have used it on the re-release.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 11, 2003 18:31     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
But the best album cover i've ever seen was actually never released as intented. It was the original banned cover for Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh. Ads prior to the album's release had the original art on them, but sadly when the record came out, it was just a photo of the band at a bar with skulls in front of 'em. The original artwork later surfaced (in a mangled form, and cropped out of shape) on the limited edition picture disc version of the album.

Yeah, I have that ad somewhere in my scrapbook man! Much cooler than the lame photo on the actual cover! I never understood why they banned it anyhow? I mean, it wasn't that bad.

I may have to scan that pic now, as it's a good size and I need to make a cover of my vinyl rip of that particular record. If I do, I'll post it here.

Emlyn, you like Loop? Very cool! I was more than mildly obsessed with Robert Hampson's guitar playing throughout the better part of the 1990s, both with Loop and his more experimental Main. Great stuff! I still haven't managed to get my grubbies on a copy of "Duel" yet though... gotta keep a closer eye on eBay.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted September 11, 2003 19:25     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos. Love that Warhammer40K art...
Entombed - Clandestine
Pungent Stench - Been Caught Buttering...Sick!!
Bathory - Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart

So many others, already mentioned so I won't repeat. Nice thing about a lot of rock and metal acts, at least they make an effort for the cover.

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted September 11, 2003 22:56     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
#1King Diamond--Fatal Portrait (still brings a chill down my spine, (unlike the music)

Celtic Frost--I Won't Dance
Sabbat--History of a Time to Come
Coroner--No More Color
Trouble--The Skull
Scorpions--LoveDrive
Paradise Lost--Shades of God
Testament--Practice what you Preach
Carcass--Symphonies of Sickness
Doomsday News II

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 11, 2003 23:47     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Not really an "album" but actually the 3rd single off the Killers album. This one's my favorite. period. I want a fucking tattoo of this.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted September 12, 2003 02:13     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great thread!

Nice to see Yes' best album (and cover) ever up there.
And very cool link to those rare Marino covers.

Here are a few of my faves:

Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist
Classic DK mockery in action (great album, too)

Wall of Voodoo - Ugly Americans Live in Australia
Robt. Williams strikes again!

Destruction - Release From Agony
Whatta NIGHTMARE!

Severed Heads - Gigapus
Awesome

Oingo Boingo - Nothing to Fear
Perfectly fits the wacko music contained within

I have about 1,000 more to add, but I will control myself!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted September 12, 2003 04:13     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
here are mine, a few were mentionned already...

EDGE OF SANITY - The Unorthodox (1991)...

SACRAMENTUM - Far Away from the Sun (1996)...

SABBAT - Dreamweaver (1989)...

MANILLA RAOD - Open the Gates (1985)...

MANILLA RAOD - The Deluge (1986)...

VOÏVOD - War and Pain (1984)
KING DIAMOND - Them (1988)
DEATH - Scream Bloody Gore (1987)
CELTIC FROST - To Mega Therion (1985)
NOCTURNUS - The Key (1990)
ENTOMBED - Left Hand Path (1990)
IRON MAIDEN - Somewhere in Time (1986)

I've always preferred fine hand drawings compared to band photos and the more recent digital drawings anyway...

you may want to have a look at the drawings made by Eric Larnoy...
and also Dan Seagrave...

and look at http://users.skynet.be/sky19290/progart.htm ... I know it's in french but still...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 12, 2003 05:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool topic
Great lp cover artists that come to mind are:
ROGER (the GOD) DEAN
Derek Riggs
H R GIGER
STAN WATTS
AWAY
HIPGNOSIS
STORN THORGESON
LASSE HOILE

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted September 12, 2003 07:08     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My favourites are :
Killing - Dimension - Roar
Killers - Piece of. - Somewhere. - Seventh. and some singles of Iron Maiden
Mad butcher Live without sense and Release from agony of Destruction
Pleasure to kill and Out of the dark... of Kreator
And also the giger's cover of Celtic Frost.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 12, 2003 10:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

I have that picture disc. Gonna scan it this weekend. And I agree with you guys, it's far better than the official cover.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 12, 2003 12:54     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hell yeah Tangento man, that Release cover screams out AGONY
Sign of fear is a personal fave on that album.

And Skul shows good taste as usual:

Shit, i'm 37 and loves this stuff. I can picture myself sitting in some home 87 years old banging the diapers of my buddies

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted September 12, 2003 16:11     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forgot about this one...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 12, 2003 16:49     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's that lost Exodus cover!

For a 150dpi jpeg of the scan, click here.

I still don't think it was bad enough to get banned. Go figure.

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 12, 2003 17:10     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Thin Lizzy/Phil Lynott

Just because.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted September 13, 2003 03:13     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey that exodus cover was cool, thx

Massappeal - Nobody Likes a Thinker (didn't find a pic)
Monster Magnet - Spine of God ( large pic )
Brutal Truth - Sounds of the Animal Kingdom ( large pic, from Metal Wallpaper )

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan