my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Nuage Fractal (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Nuage Fractal
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 07, 2003 13:16     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a question I've brought up at other Voivod forum, but nobody seems to know.
The album AngelRat is kind of a fav of mine. I found the album here in town (second hand). I read the lyrics on my way home. And there a found lyrics about the theory of Chaos. I thought it was amazing!
I studied some statistcs and math as an adult in 89 - 90's. I read a book in the beginning of the 90's its called: CHAOS, making a new science and is written by James Glieick. I know I was stunned and amazed when I read this book.

Just the same words i found in the lyrics: "butterfly effect" "fractal's".

does anybody know if "Away" or anyone else in Voivod was influenced by this theory?
I'm kind of curious (in fact very curious). Maybe "BLACKY" knows.

Cheers!

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 07, 2003 14:46     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check some of the interviews, Away goes into great depth about the lyrical ideas and inspiration in some of them. Ones from around the Angel Rat era will have it. Look in the articles section here.

But the quick answer is yes, that is where the inspiration and lyrics came from.

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 07, 2003 15:41     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you Lycantrophy. I've always been interseted in science, but I'm not in the same high level as "Away".

It just felt so remarkable to recognice there are lyrics about the theory of Chaos

Thank's again, I will sure serch among the articles.

Cheers!

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted September 07, 2003 17:51     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Angel Rat jams!
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 07, 2003 17:59     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhary:
Angel Rat jams!

Now you (please) have to explain to a stupid swede what you mean with the word "jams". Maybe sounds funny to you folks but I know what Jam means, but this must be some kind of "slang".

Me curious!.....

Cheers!

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted September 07, 2003 18:06     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Means it rocks!

Megan

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted September 07, 2003 18:09     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.voivodfan.com/media/index.php?q=f&f=%2FAngel_Rat_pre-production-demo

Take a listen at those.

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 07, 2003 18:49     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
Means it rocks!

Megan

Hi Megan nice to meet you here. And thank you for the answer, sometimes one word can have several meanings. Thought I'd better ask just to be sure...

AngelRat is special to me, maybe because it was the first album (besides the new one) I came across. Right here in town in a small second hand shop. And the fact that the lyrics brought up the Theory of Chaos, witch also amazed me when I read the book about the topic.

I'm getting more and more impressed by Away.
So much knowledge in science, a great artist (thinkin' of his art) and his skills at the drums.

Hope you keep on posting on this board Megan, folks on this board know so much about Voivod, and their download section is..... ....really great!

Jams: now that I know how to translate it, Yeah AngelRat really jams!

Cheers!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 07, 2003 19:31     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Annki:
Yeah AngelRat really jams!

As in a "P&B" sandwich?

Yes it does, nevertheless. Although Warcorpse will definitely beg to differ!

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 07, 2003 19:49     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Naaaa...... ...Jam can mean so much as:

1. I got into a jam.
2. It was jammed with people.
3. There is a traffic jam.
4. I had to jam on the breaks
5. I did put some jam on my sandwich

Most of the time I can figure out the meaning of a word according to the content in the sentence it occure in. (phhhuuu....that sentence wasn't easy.)

Cheers to all voivodians!.........

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 08, 2003 07:54     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
6. I promised her I'd take it out before I jammed but when I did the jam had already come

7. I jammed the photocopier

8. My an' my cousin were jammin' behind the barn

9. Our kid is a cyclops, thats what you get jammin' your own sister I guess

10. Tomorrow I sit my 3D jam wanks (cockney rhyming slang, geography exam [3D/holography/geography] + [jam/exam] + [wanks/wanker/david blaine/ take it again/ re-sit]

There.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 08, 2003 08:11     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
11. He had a jam rag stuck up his arse.
12. Jammy bastard!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 08, 2003 08:46     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Sikorsky:
10. Tomorrow I sit my 3D jam wanks (cockney rhyming slang, geography exam [3D/holography/geography] + [jam/exam] + [wanks/wanker/david blaine/ take it again/ re-sit]

I just happened to have a cockney rhyming slang lesson recently, in the "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" DVD. That's some language!

And what do you make of:
KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 08, 2003 11:27     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Maldoror.
Yes, I also think they should stop all this jamming... ... Oh, sorry the word just slipped out of my "fingers" and down on the laptop!

Cheers!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 08, 2003 14:20     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Annki, I was actually refering to the MC5 songs Kick Out the Jams.

I'm still wondering what it means exactly...

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 08, 2003 19:20     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that info Jams ! gonna check this out.

thx

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 09, 2003 13:22     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now the neighbours are jamming on their drums with jar's of jam. ....

I'm gonna stop this jammed jam know.

And all this jamming just because nuage fractal!

Cheers!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 09, 2003 15:29     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And I'm pretty sure, by the way, that the lyrics of "Freedoom" were inspired by the Boris Vian novel "The Red Grass" (at least its title). I know I brought this up before, but I'd really like to know.

I guess only Snake (or the unknown) knows. And that most of you don't give a shit!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted September 10, 2003 03:12     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would you like some jam with your jello?
Flotjam and Jetjam were cool.
I jammed my finger on the door jam, now I can't jam on the drums. Now I'm in a real jam.

OK enough of that! Back to the topic, I guess. Voivod have always had scientific undertones in most of their stuff. "Inner Combustion" is about transforming into pure neon? "Time Warp" is about time travel? "Twin Dummy" is about a lonely freak?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted September 10, 2003 03:17     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:I guess only Snake (or the unknown) knows. And that most of you don't give a shit!

I know who knows: That "someone" who changed the formula. Another love was unchained, therefore creating an aura which comes towards you whenever you stand in the knee-high red grass. Clearly nirvana! I have asked the aura, but all it did was ask for a light. Damn pot-smoking auras...I left before it asked for a ride to the donut shop. The cops would have been very suspicious I'm sure, hanging out with an aura with red eyes and craving donut holes.

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 10, 2003 07:00     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gotta not tell "nuclear" he is colourblind, 'cause I saw that cloud and it was definitely green.

The lyrics in Freedom is also (I think) inspired of the Theory of Chaos, the theory also has to do with a certain "value" as, pi = 3,14 there is to be another code or value that determine the whole nature, the whole universe, The Nature of Things. It's both amazing and scary to read about the theory 'cause if it's true everything is pre-destined. Well, this is what I can think of as an explanation to a part of the lyrics.

Cheers!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted September 10, 2003 07:15     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The lyrics in Freedom is also (I think) inspired of the Theory of Chaos, the theory also has to do with a certain "value" as, pi = 3,14 there is to be another code or value that determine the whole nature, the whole universe, The Nature of Things.

you surely mean Freedoom...

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 10, 2003 07:18     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
you surely mean Freedoom...

(me feeling Supid)
Yeah, of course I mean freedoom.

Thank's and Cheers!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted September 10, 2003 07:53     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
(me feeling Supid)
Yeah, of course I mean freedoom.

Thank's and Cheers!

there's no need, really...
it took me about 2-3 years to realize that it actually was "freedoom" and not "freedom"...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 10, 2003 07:59     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
there's no need, really...
it took me about 2-3 years to realize that it actually was "freedoom" and not "freedom"...

Me too, mostly because it is mispelled on a number of place (actually, I think that the only place where it was spelled right was on the lyrics sheet).

Nice bit, Mr. Infusion. Could it be donut black holes? That's scary...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan