my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Stupid Link of the Day : Can Con

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid Link of the Day : Can Con
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 29, 2003 14:51     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, for you foreigners (that'd be you non-Canadians) there's a little thing we have here called 'can-con'. The CRTC (Canadian Radio-Televison and Telecommunications Commission) describes it as "Simply put, it's about Canadian artists and Canadian stories having access to Canadian airwaves." The way most of us here look at it is that it means when we turn on the radio we have to listen to drivel like Nickleback or Bryan Adams because the government has mandated that tv and radio must have a certain percentage of Canadian "talent" - and I use that term loosely - represented in their programming.

So ladies and gentlemen, I now present to you
The Can Con Hall of Shame

quote:
Nelly Furtado

Every once in a while, Canada produces someone who somehow manages to suck internationally thereby bypassing the need of CanCon to further their career. Whoa Nelly - with your shrill voice that's you.

|  IP: Logged
VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted August 29, 2003 14:58     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So I take it I'm not the only who dislikes Nickleback!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 29, 2003 15:07     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And while we're on the topic of Canada, here's the PLAN for Canadian World Domination

Some of you may appreciate Communications point #6:

"Kill the VJs and crew of MTV and feed their corpses to the VJs and crew of MuchMusic."

**Americans - don't forget to read The Gun Thing

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted August 29, 2003 15:08     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nickleback are in the list they deserve. Bad thing is that they even sprouted clone-bands like that Theory of a Dead Man. Didn't know Alan Thicke was canadian, let alone a crappy musician.
GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted August 29, 2003 15:13     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unfortunately yes, Alan Thicke is Canadian, however most of us lie about that if asked.
I gotta say I love The Pursuit of Happiness, though eh. Classic.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 29, 2003 15:25     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha! that's awesome Nia!
"Luba: Orca the Killer whale" had be bursting in laughter.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 29, 2003 15:39     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GarbageDay:
I gotta say I love The Pursuit of Happiness, though eh. Classic.

Hey me too! I thought I was the only one in the world knowing about that band. And I like Tragically Hip, somehow. It's got that Canadian sound.

By the way, I really like the cow farting a maple leaf. And the cool Rush pic.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 29, 2003 15:53     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lol. Canadian World Domination. Hilarious stuff.
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted August 29, 2003 18:13     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Weird how Canadian names are a lot like American names, but still very different. For instance, there's not a lot of Americans named Gordon...

And let's hear it for quality Canadian music: Nomeansno, SNFU, Gorguts, Cryptopsy...there's that other one too...

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted August 30, 2003 22:21     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
they have Rush on that list
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 30, 2003 23:44     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VodFan:
So I take it I'm not the only who dislikes Nickleback!

My thoughts on Picklecrack reside somewhere on this page

...and I was going easy on them.

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted August 31, 2003 00:26     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
My thoughts on Picklecrack reside somewhere on this page

...and I was going easy on them.

Oh yeah I've read that one already. My sentiments exactly

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 31, 2003 11:17     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh! Tangento's world famous Shitlist!

By the way, there's one canadian band that doesn't apear on those lists... guess which one... come on, think about it, it's easy... It starts with a V...

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted August 31, 2003 16:23       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod
Exciter
to of the best bands ever even if they are from Canada.
Also keep up the good work with the hot woman.Like Nia & Shania! Hot stuff!!!

IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 31, 2003 21:28     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
man, canada HAS exported some junk, havent they?

altho, Bryan Adams tuned my guitar for me when i was 15. so hes ok in my book...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan