my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » pieces of history...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pieces of history...
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 27, 2003 03:42     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it's exactly 9 years today, on 8/27/94 Eric Forrest made his live debut with Voivod...

it was for the UQAM-FM Outdoor Festival on Berri Square in Montreal, QC...

anyone here who attended the event?

|  IP: Logged
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 27, 2003 05:26     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nine years already...Time goes far too quickly. I remember watching VV perform 'Cosmic Conspiracy' at the Dynamo festival on MTV Headbanger's Ball in '96, and that seems like yesterday. I'm old...
Twindummy
VoivodFan
Member # 15

posted August 27, 2003 07:38     Profile for Twindummy   Email Twindummy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
anyone got that on tape?
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 27, 2003 07:47     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When Eric was in the band, we were Snake nostalgics. Now that Snake is back, it seems that some of us are Eric nostalgics!
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 27, 2003 07:57     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twindummy:
anyone got that on tape?

I'm sure someone from QC has this...

outdoor shows sometimes have lesser quality btw...

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 27, 2003 08:06     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:
When Eric was in the band, we were Snake nostalgics. Now that Snake is back, it seems that some of us are Eric nostalgics!

not so much Eric-nostalgia, even though he did some great shows with the band... I mean REALLY HEEE-VY...

more so because this is an obscure period in the history of the band, to me at least... hell I thought they'd broken up until I saw Negatron in the stores...

Grinning_Cheschire_Cat
VoivodFan
Member # 343

posted August 27, 2003 09:10     Profile for Grinning_Cheschire_Cat   Email Grinning_Cheschire_Cat     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:

we are BLACKY nostalgics...
well, me at least!

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted August 27, 2003 10:14     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Could you put up an Eric Boot next WC? Heh, I've been dying to hear another.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 27, 2003 10:47     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SoCxNe0rC:
Could you put up an Eric Boot next WC? Heh, I've been dying to hear another.

Yeah I think I saw Eric's boots on eBay. They weren't my size, tho, so I didn't bother.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 27, 2003 16:10     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man, there are some great Eric-era bootlegs around! Jeff, let me know if you want any as I have some good ones in the 'ol collection.

I had the same feeling about the band as you guys... I thought they broke up after The Outer Limits. Something about that album at the time spelled the end of Voivod to me. I was suprised when I saw Negatron in my local store in '95. I'm damn glad they kept going, even w/out Snake.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 27, 2003 16:49     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about the one from CBGB's NYC, 1996?
I have yet to hear that one... it,s apparently the unedited stuff that was later used for the LIVES album.

I'd like to hear that one, myself.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 27, 2003 17:26     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The CBGB's is a good quality soundboard recording. Ripped to cd by me from a tape I got from Neutronboy2000. Exactly as Skul describes... the entire unediteded show that the few tracks from "Lives" are sourced from. I actually prefer the raw recordings to some of the disasterous mixes on the album.

The 1996 Jaxx show is good too... a study in guitar, so to speak, as it ultra-loud in the mix while everything else is low.

A couple of other good ones:
-Phoenix Club, Chicoutimi, Quebec, September 3rd, 1994 (Eric's 2nd or 3rd show... all Snake-era tunes with an early version of Nanoman and a cool bass solo. audience recording/typical sound quality.)

-Oosterpoort: Groningen, Holland, October 2nd, 1997 (audience recording, features most of Phobos live which is unusual, but cool as fuck.)

-Klubben: Stockholm, Sweden, 10/14/1999 (Radio broadcast w/brief interview, excellent quality!)

Spudboy's Lee's Palace 2000 show is of course an excellent document as well.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 27, 2003 17:54     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
-Phoenix Club, Chicoutimi, Quebec, September 3rd, 1994 (Eric's 2nd or 3rd show... all Snake-era tunes with an early version of Nanoman and a cool bass solo. audience recording/typical sound quality.)

I have the video of that one (2nd gen.), though sayin' "video" is a rather broad statement, it's so dark you cant see anything!! At least the audio is good. The bass solo reminds me of Bassically... there's also a slew of covers like Electric Funeral (Sabbath) and The Chase is Better than the Catch (motorhead), and a bunch of rarely heard songs like Ripping Headaches. And yes, that's Eric's 2nd show. His vocals were more screamy than usual on there, too.

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted August 27, 2003 23:30     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Keep up the network of Voivod concerts floating around so we can all benefit....actually I have a copy of the first Eric show in QC given to me by someone who tried to take pictures of that radio fest but was hassled by securite! I would really like to get my hands on the June 13th,2003 show from Bell Centre plus any other shows from the OZZFEST 2nd stage area!
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 28, 2003 04:10     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I actually prefer the raw recordings to some of the disasterous mixes on the album.

yeah, me too
and I'd still like to find the whole show from 10/03/95 at Huxley's, Berlin, Germany... the live tracks on Kronik were recorded that night... so the full show must exist somewhere! Away?...

quote:
Oosterpoort: Groningen, Holland, October 2nd, 1997 (audience recording, features most of Phobos live which is unusual, but cool as fuck.)

there are quite a few "Phobos" shows that are cool:
Underground, Koln, Ger 9/20/97...very clear sound/digital noises throughout though...
and the canadian dates from 7/14/97 in Québec City and 7/18/97 in Montreal...

quote:
Klubben: Stockholm, Sweden, 10/14/1999 (Radio broadcast w/brief interview, excellent quality!)

there are still not many 1999 shows in circulation... Roseville, CA 12/11/99 is cool... and there is that show at le Medley in Montreal 4/09/99 when Snake joins Eric to sing Voivod as encore...

quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
And yes, that's Eric's 2nd show. His vocals were more screamy than usual on there, too.

I like those early shows with Eric because his voice was exactly like you said... more screamy... unfortunately those early Eric shows are rare and apart from the first 2 and one from Stuttgart in 1995 I don't know of any other.. but yes, the voice is rawer... heavier than on later recordings (especially from 1997 on)...

quote:
Originally posted by Warcorpse:
and I am hoping to get these shows soon:
August 6, 1993, Verdun Auditorium, Montreal, Quebec
August 27, 1994, Berri-UQAM Square, Montreal, Quebec

my version of Verdun is short and not that good... do you have the other one Warcorpse?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 28, 2003 04:36     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The 1996 Jaxx show is good too... a study in guitar, so to speak.

Cool! I wanna hear that one. It might teach me something!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 28, 2003 09:18     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
August 27, 1994, Berri-UQAM Square, Montreal, Quebec

11) Thrashing Headaches

damn!
my setlist is not exactly the same...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 28, 2003 09:23     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Was a free show that was part of a multi-day festival held in a park in downtown Montreal.

every day is a multi-day festival of some kind in montreal, haha!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 28, 2003 09:26     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm not sure if track 11 is Thrashing Rage or Ripping Headaches, yet.

Ripping Headaches, dear sir.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 28, 2003 09:29     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and I have to say that playing Fix my Heart right after Ripping Headaches is one hell of an audacious song combination...

I had always wondered how they could possibly play both *styles* during the same gig...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 28, 2003 10:04     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
[QB]August 27, 1994, Berri-UQAM Square, Montreal, Quebec

1) Voivod 2) Ravenous Medicine 3) The Lost Machine 4) Tribal Convictions 5)
The Unknown Knows 6) War And Pain 7) Panorama 8) Astronomy Domine
9) Nanoman 10) Nuclear War 11) Thrashing Headaches 12) Fix My Heart 13) Electric
Funeral
QB]

Great set! They should have come up with something like that for the present tour...

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 28, 2003 10:30     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
agreed!

some other band put out a great set of older songs and only 2 new...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan