my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » KISS

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KISS
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 26, 2003 06:51     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
KISS are, pardon me, patently shite. Why, then, are they so celebrated?

True, they look funny and I imagine they are very entertaining live, as is Marilyn Manson. But musically?

I'm not just saying this to piss deaf people off, I'd just really like to know.

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 26, 2003 07:12     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've found that listening to "Crazy Crazy Nights" shows just how shit Kiss can be. However, listening to "Double Platinum" uncovers the genius within. As for "Love Her All I Can"... that riff fucking rocks.
Well - it's better than turbo anyway!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 26, 2003 07:16     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So you are saying that KISS at their very best are marginally better than Priest at their (so called) worst?

I find even that hard to believe. Indeed, I choked on my pickled onion.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 26, 2003 07:20     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, I never liked Judas Priest. So I can't really say what thier worst is!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 26, 2003 07:24     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But...I....guh!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 26, 2003 07:51     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Turbo is cool. Yeah, I'd rather hear Turbo than Kiss. And Rob Halford rules.

And Emlyn, why did you drop the Helicopter? Did I miss something?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 26, 2003 08:20     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Em, coming from somebody that worships TURBO I had you pegged for someone who would like KISS...guess I was wrong!!!

They've certainly had their good moment and just plain shit moments (too many to mention) but you gotta respect their place in the history of rock n roll. They've spawned lots of kids to start their own bands, that many ended up being way better musicians than thier heros every were. They were just the coolest mo-fos of the 70's when I was a little bastard in elementary and Jr High!!! KISS was great when I was young but lost a lot of appeal to me when my musical tastes expanded into different styles of rock (metal, prog, experimental...)
I have almost all of their cds but usually only listen to them when I'm feeling nostalgic. It's funny because my favorite KISS album is THE ELDER which most real fans say is their worst.

Ya gotta give credit where credit is due and KISS has certainly earned it for writting some of the most simple songs that rocked the world and created millions of fans and gave birth to thousands of acts. And, lyrics aside, they wrote some cool riffs.

KISS is to hard rock, what the RAMONES are to Punk Pop.

oh yeah, Halford is by far a GOD when it comes to vocals, none of the KISS guys could match him. Although Rob and Paul would make a cute couple!!!

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted August 26, 2003 08:43     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"God of Thunder" is a great track to me, maybe one of the hardest/heaviest at the time... I'm not a fan, but I do respect what they did...
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 26, 2003 08:52     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wasn't a fan until I saw them play at Donnington. Don't remember the year, but it was the first time they put the make up back on. I laughed so hard it was painful. But I was laughing with them, not at them, so I was converted!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 26, 2003 09:00     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you, Schroeder - that is the kind of eloquent, considered and educated opinion I was expecting from a Voivodfan.

However, I am slightly disappointed that no one went 'WTF??? KISS RULES MOTHERFUCKER!!!!' and so on. I guess I shall have to go elsewhere.

Now, Pantera. ?.

oh, and Sikorsky invented the modern helicopter, thus the name. One should change one's name often, it is good for the soul if not for tax reasons.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 26, 2003 09:22     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pantera? Fuck off. Crap production, crap vocals, awful guitar noodlings, boring, sub-Black Album songs. Phil Anselmo should be taken out and shot, personally. The recent Terrorizer interview with him was funny.

"I want to FIX what the hell is wrong with music today!"

Says the man who toured consistently with crappy Nu-Metal bands, and has always dabbled with whatever was 'cool' at the time. How many bloody bands do you need!? Fuck you.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 26, 2003 09:50     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Sikorsky:
One should change one's name often, it is good for the soul if not for tax reasons.

Now may I suggest a new name for you: Emlyn K. Mussorgsky. Whadja think?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 26, 2003 09:55     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mussorgsy never made helicopters, to the best of my knowledge.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 26, 2003 10:09     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I side with Lyc on the Panterra issue. Not one of my favourite bands. I way prefer Kiss, if only for Gene Simmons quote when asked why they never sing about politics: "I'd rather be in a band that has it's own action figures".
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 26, 2003 10:31     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IMHO, Kiss is an OK band. OK at best. I agree partially with Schroeder, Kiss has inspired many US bands (including Pantera ), but that's not exactly much, see the amount of crap, i.e., hair bands, that followed.

But, comparing Kiss with JUDAS PRIEST, even the Turbo era? You guys can't be serious...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 26, 2003 10:50     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, i'm probably the biggest KISS fan around here. They were the first "rock" band i was ever exposed to, as early as 5 years old in 1979.

Obviously we all know about their stage show, but they're actually quite capable songwriters considering their musical shortcomings.

Anyways, I always had a soft spot for 'em, no matter how fruity they got in the 80's (except the Crazy Nights album, even i have my limits). I guess the peak of my appreciation of KISS was around 1992-1993, when they released the Revenge album, which was by all accounts one of their finest releases ever. I finally saw them live in august 1996 in Montreal during the first run of the reunion tour. There are very few words to describe that experience, how fucking cool it was. But in a sense, that show also marked an end. I more or less closed the book on KISS that night, as it "this wont get any better than it is now". I didnt care about anything that they've done since, and as far as i know, they shouldve quit right after that 96/97 reunion. Now they're on their what, 7th farewell tour? Urgh.

Some favorites?
Hotter Than Hell (1974): raw, crappy production, and heavy. Love it.

Alive! (1975): Whether it was actually live or completely re-recorded in a studio, we'll never know, but that it made you feel like you were there. Very few other live records did.

Rock N Roll Over (1976): Again, raw. Nothing wrong with this one.

Dynasty (1979): Disco KISS, somewhat. My first rock album ever. 24 years later i'm still not bored with it. It really stood out next to my Disney records. Hehe.

Music From The Elder (1981): Huge commercial failure, great record. Highly underrated also. It failed simply because they tried to be something they were not, but it's by no means a bad album. Possibly their most intelligent record.

Creatures of the Night (1982): One of the heaviest they've ever done, great songs on there.

Lick It Up (1983): Almost exactly the same record as Creatures, minus the makeup. I never quite understood why people tend to say Creatures is the heaviest, while this one has the same lineup, same producer, same studio, you name it. Lick it Up rocks harder, i think. Plus it features the heaviest KISS song ever, "Not For The Innocent".

Asylum (1985): Most of it is completely lame, but Stanley's songs are good. I like cheese, what can i say.

Revenge (1992): Their finest ever.

Carnival Of Souls (recorded in 95, released in 97 as an afterthought): The heaviest KISS album ever made.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 26, 2003 10:57     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Back in the 70's growing up, all of my friends were getting into this "rock sensation" called Kiss...I, on the other hand, grew up on the Beatles.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 26, 2003 11:02     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LEGION:
Back in the 70's growing up, all of my friends were getting into this "rock sensation" called Kiss...I, on the other hand, grew up on the Beatles.

I couldn't have said it better.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted August 26, 2003 11:23     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kiss put out 6 great heavy pop records between '74 and '77, along with the two live ones. Actually, I should call them "live", but that's another story.

Kiss is cheesy lyrics, catchy hooks, comic book imagery (which is what first sold nme at the age of 7) and sex (which went right over my head at the age of seven. I wondered why my Dad rolled his eyes as his little boy sang 'Love Gun' to his grandparents. ha ha

Kiss is the perfect antidote to 'serious' music. They can't read or write music - my kinda musicians!

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted August 26, 2003 12:30     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I not the biggest Kiss fan in the world. It's good party music, forget about everything let's rock kind of stuff. Good song writers too. I've been into them in the Hot in the Shade area so I was kind of late. My favorite song is Love Gun because when it comes to cheese it's hard to beat.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 26, 2003 13:59     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schroeder pretty much summed it up for me there. KISS was an essential part of my introductions to hard rock (along w/UFO) and was a 'gateway' band for me. I could have done without "80's KISS" or any of the tripe that's currently happening w/them. But that early stuff was a part of my musical development. Hell, acting like Gene Simmons as a 6-year old even got me permanantly kicked outta one of my friend's house who happened to have slightly religious parents.

Never got too into Judas Priest, whom I've always found to be rather boring... Although, for some reason I continue to buy JP records all the time!? Some part of me feels like they are essential and that I am missing something about the music. Keep waiting for that one to 'snap'.

Pantera. Hmmm... started to like for a little bit when it dawned on me how downright contrived and silly they were. I still have all their albums and find their first four (the glam albums, which I have on cdr) the be highly amusing!

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted August 26, 2003 16:13     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ALIVE started my journey into heavy rock back in '75 but by the time LOVE GUN came out (my 10th grade year), I was into different things. Nugent, UFO, Aerosmith (believe it or not, could do no wrong back then), BOC, Mahogany Rush, Priest, AC/DC are examples. I have heard excerpts from albums since LOVE GUN and I would say that LICK IT UP certainly had some good moments and I do own CARNIVAL OF SOULS but rarely play it. I saw KISS live on DESTROYER, ROCK N ROLL OVER, CREATURES OF THE NIGHT, LICK IT UP, ASYLUM, and the '96 reunion tour. The last four times just to watch em play live, which has always been cool.

Now, what happened to Aerosmith? After DONE WITH MIRRORS, they fell apart for me. I know they got more popular with their videos and all, but that hasn't detracted me before (sometimes a new fan base detracts, but face it, good songs are good songs). The songs from the late '80s and on just didn't rock like, say, "Rats in the Cellar" of "Lord of the Thighs". It pissed me off because of what they turned into. Like many fans have been put off by Metallica, Aerosmith was that band for me (& Metallica to an extent).

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 26, 2003 23:14     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember hearing about Kiss in elementary school. I saw the dolls, the trading cards, the comic book and I had no idea what the fuck they were.

Then I stayed the night at Grammas house one time. She had cable. Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Whatever was on TV. I thought it was awesome. The concert part that is. The rest was dumb.

I forgot all about Kiss until I started really getting into music around the age of 12. They were "cool", but I didn't own any of their albums.

To this day I have never bought a Kiss album. I have Hotter Than Hell, Destroyer, Lick It Up, Animalize and used to own Alive, Love Gun and the Gene Simmons solo thing. I got them all for free.

Once music became my primary obsession in life (age 13 until...well it still is), Kiss has been somewhat of a problem for me. I had a short period where I thought I liked them, but I was just saying I did coz...well, they were Kiss dammit! I soon disloged my head from my ass and began to make my own decisions regarding what music and stuff I enjoyed. After several years and a serious attempt to get into them...I just couldn't. They were not for me.

My final conclusion? I think they stink and that's all there is to it. I tried and THEY failed. All show and no go makes Kiss a dull band. BOOORIINNGGG. Overrated is an appropriate word.

If you like them, fine. I don't care. You probably don't like stuff I like, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. At least it's rock music and not hip hop or some shit. I'll give ya that.

Sorry for pissing all over Kiss if you're a fan...I'm in a bad mood.

Judas Priest is the greatest Heavy Metal band in the history of everything. Period.

Pantera put out 2 good albums, Vulgar Display Of Power and Far Beyond Driven. But they're posers so fuck 'em.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 27, 2003 05:34     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NUC wrote: Pantera put out 2 good albums, Vulgar Display Of Power and Far Beyond Driven. But they're posers so fuck 'em.

AMEN brother (and that's coming from an athiest!!!) I enjoyed Cowboys From Hell also...it was a good strating point (even though it wasn't how they really started) for them to evolve into Vular Display and Far Beyond...but after that...THEY HAVE SUCKED, and I'll blame it on Phil...I dispise the way he started singing after VDOA.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan