my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » So I turned into a couch potato on friday night and ended up watching the Power Hour.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So I turned into a couch potato on friday night and ended up watching the Power Hour.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted August 24, 2003 02:37     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And holy jesus, talk about a blast from the past, they played a video by Kickaxe - "Rock the World"! Man, I haven't seen these dudes in years! I remember waaay back in the eighties I was associated with this local hard rock outfit called Maurader and they ended up playing a gig at umm, err, if I remember correctly it was Dicks on Dicks (Or was it the Club Soda which was later known as The Starfish room before eventually being demolished?) and they opened for Kickaxe. Sure, when you compare Kickaxe to Voivod that... O.K., there is really no comparison. Well at least they did go on tour once with Judas Priest and Quiet Riot. They did have a few songs which I liked though I must admit that I was more fond of Toronto metaloids Anvil! "Metal on Metal" is an anthem I believe! So the point I was going to make is that... Oh jesus, I forgot! Oh yeah, the Power Hour. For the most part they basically still play alot of shitty videos - much as they did back in the eighties - by the likes of Warrant, Faster Pussycat, Stryper, Bon Jovi, and (YEEECH!!!) Cinderella! Which brings me back to Kickaxe. Sure they were kind of glammy but at least some of their songs were listenable. Compared to these other bands they ruled which is not really saying much but at least something...

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 24, 2003 04:20     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking on the 'anonymity' of a band, does anyone else remember:

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted August 24, 2003 18:17     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Kick Axe open for Priest on DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH and was impressed enough by their performance to buy their album VICES (possibly the debut). I couldn't believe how good it "sounded". Every time I listened to it, another sound seemed to pop out of it, a must headphone experience.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 24, 2003 22:41     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kick Axe were fuckin great! I love the Vices album. They never played the Winnipeg show on Priest's DOTF tour. We got Great White instead. Blah!

I sampled the drums off the intro for Alive And Kickin' and wrote some killer heavy/groovy riffs to go along with it. I just finished recording some bass for it. I'll post a link to it once it's all mixed and shit. Gimme a couple of weeks - I got a few other things on the go.

Here's a link for y'all:
http://web.quick.cz/mdb/kickaxe/index.htm

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted August 24, 2003 22:41     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LEGION:
Speaking on the 'anonymity' of a band, does anyone else remember:

YES, The mighty RAIL!!! Former MTV "battle of the bands" winner. I saw them at their reunion show in 2001 w/T.K.O. Good fun.

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted August 25, 2003 02:21     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, cool link!!! I checked out their biography and noticed that they played a date at Club Soda in 1990 but the concert I was referring to is not listed. I must admit that I was a heavy drinker and pot and blow smoker and local physilocyban mushroom eater back then and my memory of most events is at best very hazy but the show had to have happened sometime between late 1986 and March or April of 1987. This was when I was living in the Hell House right on East First Avenue (half a block due east from First and Victoria) in East Vancougar with various members of Maurader and Nigel who resided in the basement with his extensive collection of heavy metal and hard rock albums. (This is starting to bring back alot of scary memories for me! Especially the time when I, while stoned out of my mind on Blue Mandela acid, witnessed a love triangle develop between Nigel, his almost ex-girlfriend Lauren, and a another nutcase from duh Island nicknamed Puddy who was in a band called Dog Eat Dog which later turned into Dog Eat Dogma followed by Dogzilla due to another band from somewhere or another having the same name and getting mad about it...) I vaguely remember listening to Kickaxe's first two albums quite a bit and for some reason was really getting into the following song during this time period. Like I said, it was a drug and alcohol fueled time period for me and this song seemed to make sense:

Welcome To The Club

Writer: Kick Axe
Courtesy: The Pasha Music Company (ASCAP)

Now When He Was Young And A Crazy Reckless Boy
He Was Out To Get His Kicks, He Was Out To Enjoy
If It Gave Him Pleasure, If It Got Him High
If It Makes Him Cool It Was Worth A Try
But Now He's Getting Older And Wiser Than Before
He Guards His Pleasures Behind Closed Doors
Now The Things He Needs To Get Him Through The Day
Are Costing Him A Price He'll Have To Pay

(chorus)
If The Habit's Hard To Break
Welcome To The Club
If The Pressure's Hard To Take
Welcome To The Club
If You've Had Your Share Of Heartaches
Welcome To The Club

Now You Say You Can't Live With It
But You Can't Do Without
The Mirror Looks Back You're Filled With Doubt
So You Take The Blows While You're Takin' All You Can
Join Us At The Club, We Understand

(chorus)

Also, later on in Kickaxe's biography you will come across another band called Fury. I won't say much about them except that an album of theirs was apparently released in England and that I knew some of them and even went to school with their lead singer Chris Comely. Actually I must admit that though I have always liked Chris - he's a cool dude - , I have always hated most if not all incarnations of this band especially when they used to refer to themselves as Young Gun and - it gets much worse - The Pretty Boys! All of us more hard rock/metal dudes used to take lots of pleasure in heaping scorn on them! Still do actually...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan