my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Space Odyssey

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Space Odyssey
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 18, 2003 12:37     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a must see for either the fans of the movie or fans of the book (or both). Check it out, it takes sometime, but it's totally worthy!

Kubrick 2001

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 18, 2003 16:56     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhh...

The original Cosmic Drama

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted August 18, 2003 17:06     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pretty cool link. When I saw it the first time as a kid I didn't understand much of it. Where did the stone come from, what's up with the baby, etc?

Pretty striking was the fact that there was almost no sound throughout the entire movie, except for some dialogue and the soundtrack. No major studio would even invest in such a movie nowadays.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 18, 2003 18:15     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guidon:
Pretty cool link. When I saw it the first time as a kid I didn't understand much of it. Where did the stone come from, what's up with the baby, etc?

I think the key to this movie is in the intro for that website.
It explains how you are free to interpret the meanings and metaphors of this film on your own terms.
Any truly great work of art should fit that same description.
I am sure there are countless websites where this can be discussed, and where people can share what the film means to them.

But the bottom line is what the film means to you.

quote:
Originally posted by guidon:

Pretty striking was the fact that there was almost no sound throughout the entire movie, except for some dialogue and the soundtrack. No major studio would even invest in such a movie nowadays.

That may also have to do with the fact that there are very few filmmakers of Kubrick's caliber around these days.

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted August 18, 2003 20:18     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe alot of them don't want to play the game and so pursue other interests..? I enjoyed checking out that website though I must admit that I still haven't fully comprehended the ending of the film. Perhaps its all about hope and faith that there really is a next stage in our journey which begins with our death..? The extraterrestrial is God? Its like trying to comprehend outer space itself which apparently has no beginning and no end. You can go forever in any direction. Also, something which also blows my mind is given this space or nothingness which exists out there, how the heck did matter come into being!?! How can matter spring from nothingness!?! And I'm not referring to black holes here. Doesn't make sense!
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted August 19, 2003 13:51     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still, when you look at it, it's pretty hard to believe this movie was made in 1968. It was way ahead of it's time.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 21, 2003 05:13     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the ending of the film to me seemed more like the natural evolution of a solar system in the galaxy and how life is created. i also picked up alot of religious ties or conflicts in the movie but in a way that kubrick fits them hand in hand pretty well. the baby i took as a symbol for life/creation and the stone i took as well the stone, it just appears at sometime, maybe the stone thats carried through life or a burden of a question ?

i love that movie. A.I. was pretty good also, dedicated to kubrick.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 21, 2003 10:35     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
i love that movie. A.I. was pretty good also, dedicated to kubrick.

A.I., to me, looked like Pinnochio for the new millenium, or something. Well done, but a tribute to Kubrick still needs to be done.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan