my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Who's your favorite Ozzy guitarist?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's your favorite Ozzy guitarist?
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 16, 2003 02:11     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Randy Rhoads

Jake E. Lee

Zak Wylde

or even

Brad Gillis

I'm sure Randy Rhoads will be the overwhelming favorite, but I like Jake E. Lee the best. He's so under-rated as a guitarist imho. Just listen to the first solo on the song "Bark At the Moon"...he fucking SHREDS on that last run with some fast-picking-arpeggios at the end of it..fucking awesome!!! And as far as I'm concerned, he also taught that prick Zak every fucking "SQUEAL" he's ever done and will do on the guitar!

Alright, I'll shut the fuck up now.

|  IP: Logged
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 16, 2003 02:32     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Randy. He could do it all. RIP
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 16, 2003 03:30     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In order:

1. Randy - Had talent, imagination and class. A rare combo indeed. R.I.P.
I was fortunate to have seen him play with Ozz on New Year's Eve 1981-2,
three months before he died.
That show was un-fucking BELIEVABLE, to say the least.
It was the 'Diary' tour and it was Ozzy's peak as a solo artist.

2. Jake-E - I agree 100% that this guy could fully amaze.
I would also have brought up that same solo.

3. Zakk - The guy is pretty damn good from what I've heard,
but I have pretty much lost interest in Ozzy's music since 'Bark'.
I liked 'Ozzmosis' just a bit, but that Black Label shit just ain't my style.

1001. Gillis - was an embarassment. Get him out of my face, please.
This clown will NEVER be forgiven for his BUTCHERING of Iommi's work on 'Speak of the Devil'.
(and just take a look at those fucking SHOES!)

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted August 16, 2003 04:07     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not to mention the shirt and pants...
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 16, 2003 13:11     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Randy was quite simply the best, but i like Zakk's stage presence the most. Incredible showman! Jake was no slouch either, but he was just kinda there. Brad Gillis was just a hired hand and boy did it ever show. As Targento mentionned, he absolutely BUTCHERED every single solo (basically he was doing his own solos on all the classic stuff). Not only Iommi's but Randy's as well (on the Speak of The Devil video).

You forgot Joe Holmes (played the Ozzmosis tour, even though Zakk's on the record). Again, talented player but zero stage presence.

Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted August 16, 2003 17:38     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Randy and Zakk can't do a choice!
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 16, 2003 20:23     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tony Iommi
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 16, 2003 21:46     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Tangento, Skulhed for the "butchering" sentiment on Brad Gillis' part...very much agreed!!! Not only his 'soloing', but the rhythms as well, for instance on "Symptom of the Universe"...FUCKING BUTCHERED!!!
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 16, 2003 21:53     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Jake was no slouch either.

Not to mention the obvious: He had some BIG shoes to fill after Randy...it had to have taken some serious GUTS on Jake's part, that's for sure!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 17, 2003 21:40     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BCoD:

Brad Gillis

OMFG! What a fuckwad!

My vote goes to Randy. He was an innovator on the axe and is missed. Imagine the cool shit he and Ozzy could have put out! Jake is cool too. I love his leads on Bark At The Moon. Zakk is good too. BLS is supposed to be pretty decent. I've heard 1 or 2 songs - not bad. Any song recommendations for a BLS newbie?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 18, 2003 05:30     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Brad Gillis belongs in Night Ranger and Night Ranger only.
I've heard that Ozzy actually asked him to join his band after the Speak tour, and the schmuck turned the spot down, saying he already was committed to his "own band". Well first off I'm fucking glad he turned it down, but then again what a moron to not take the opportunity. Fucking STUPID! I'm sure the real reason is because he knew he coudn't hang with Ozzy, too much degree of difficulty.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 18, 2003 16:16     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny, but I don't really care at all for any of Ozzy's solo career... at all. I own the Randy Rhoads albums, but don't really think much of even them.

However, Tony Iommi (and Sabbath w/Ozzy) is one of my favs!!! The man was a pioneer!

Not disrespecting any of Ozzy's guitarists, just never really thought much of any of them or the L.A. hair-metal influenced guitar style they played.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 19, 2003 08:52     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Funny, but I don't really care at all for any of Ozzy's solo career... at all. I own the Randy Rhoads albums, but don't really think much of even them.

However, Tony Iommi (and Sabbath w/Ozzy) is one of my favs!!! The man was a pioneer!

I'm with you, X-D. Tony Iommi rules, even tho he never played hyperspeed solos with taping and everything, he's the one who invented the whole thing.

Tony Iommi is a great bluesman, a riffmeister, the Slowhand of doom, the gentleman of metal guitar.

Nuff said.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 19, 2003 16:27     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think the intention here was to compare these guys to the Mighty Iommi.

And some gentleman!
He used to bully & beat up Ozzy in grade school!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 20, 2003 02:17     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I don't have a favorite, they are all overrated.

Everyone is overrated. Even me and you.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 20, 2003 02:23     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:

Randy has a solo album? Shit I didn't even know that.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted August 20, 2003 19:21     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also had the pleasure of seeing Rhoads live on the Diary tour in Jan.'82. Very stoned was I! He's still one of my faves and it's all his fault I still continue to lug my amp and guitars to slimy beer-stained bars!
One thing about that concert in '82...
I remember Hypergrrrrl being too scared of Ozzy so she stayed home!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 21, 2003 08:57     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
I don't think the intention here was to compare these guys to the Mighty Iommi.

And some gentleman!
He used to bully & beat up Ozzy in grade school!

And he once set Bill Ward on fire! He he, those were the days!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 22, 2003 00:29     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:
And he once set Bill Ward on fire! He he, those were the days!

For some reason though I can picture this as accidental, being that Bill Ward had flammable fumes exuding throughout his whole body back then I'm sure (not to mention the rest of Sabbath)! I'm surprised the whole room didn't blow up every time someone lit something haha.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 22, 2003 08:27     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:
Bill Ward had flammable fumes exuding throughout his whole body back then.

Ha ha, that probably explains the Inner-Combustion phenomena, you know those people burning in flames for no reason?

The rumor says that Zakk Wylde never washes either. It's a pattern. Iommi once said, also, that Ward used to travel with two suite-cases: one with dirty clothes and the other with dirtier clothes.

Not to mention the very flammable red tights that Bill was wearing on the "Sabotage" cover. Those were hot!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 22, 2003 18:19     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey don't be baggin on ol' Bill now guys.

He is a very cool cat and I know cuz he used to borrow my drummer's
keyboard all the time when he was working on his first solo LP.
He seemed to be pretty ragged in the overall sense, but there
was no stench and he was quite friendly to everyone.

And since LEGION hasn't fixed the pic of Jake-o, here:

Nice amps, crappy axe.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 22, 2003 19:29     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
And since LEGION hasn't fixed the pic of Jake-o

Those look like "vintage Marshalls", except for the "color-coding"...what's up with that?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 22, 2003 21:40     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LEGION:
Those look like "vintage Marshalls", except for the "color-coding"...what's up with that?

It's an '80s Thang'! Doncha get it?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 23, 2003 01:19     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Hey don't be baggin on ol' Bill now guys.

He is a very cool cat and I know cuz he used to borrow my drummer's
keyboard all the time when he was working on his first solo LP.
He seemed to be pretty ragged in the overall sense, but there
was no stench and he was quite friendly to everyone.

Bill Ward is the best drummer Black Sabbath ever had, that's for sure. Wasn't trying to bag the guy at all, never meant he stunk either! I love his sound on all the Sabbath stuff, pretty technical guy I would say. I was going on what is well known, that they were known to be smashed 99.9 % of the time and were therefor flammable, at least Ozzy and Bill for that matter. Nothing wrong with that, in fact sounds like loads of fun, except for the dreadful "DAY AFTER" lol.

VIG TEC
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 363

posted August 26, 2003 01:10     Profile for VIG TEC   Email VIG TEC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TONY THE GODFATHER OF THE RIFF!!!!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan