my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Nothingface talking smack about Voivod?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nothingface talking smack about Voivod?
Twindummy
VoivodFan
Member # 15

posted August 13, 2003 07:54     Profile for Twindummy   Email Twindummy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is a thread going on www.wnymusic.com with everyones reviews for Ozzfest which played here in Buffalo on Monday 8/11. One of the people says he interviewed the band Nothingface and they went off on Voivod. Here's the link. It is the 13th post on this page. http://www.wnymusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=23617&forum=1&12
Link

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 13, 2003 08:04     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey TD - see if you can get him to elaborate. What exactly does he mean by 'going off'?
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted August 13, 2003 12:19     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Viovod, was okay, but after hearing all the earlier bands they sounded very outdated."

That's a plus in my book given the trash they have to tour with.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 13, 2003 13:10     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know you're dealing w/dumbasses when you're reading this...

quote:
Voivod was pretty stupid, but I've always been a Jason Newsted fan so I had to check it out. The singer is what ruined them.

Then, the same guy goes on to post this:

quote:
Disturbed kicked ass, I was pumped about getting to see them. David's vocals are just so powerful, and he really knows how to dominate a stage. He's one of the few singers out there now that has a truly unique vocal style.

Baaaaa! And Snake isn't original then? What an idiot. Ozzfest was a mistake!

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted August 13, 2003 15:09     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i knew ozzfest wouldnt be right for voivod
Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 13, 2003 18:05     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i cant believe i just read the opinions of five people who think Disturbed is a good band. youll pay for this, twin dummy...hehe
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 13, 2003 19:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm curious to hear what the guys in NOTHINGFACE had to say considering I know Tom Maxwell used to idolize VOIVOD, hence the name Nothingface. It's nice to see a Nothingface stick it out for all those years and finally get some attention. Even though there were some other Baltimore bands that I thought were better, and sorry that they still aren't around, it's cool these guys stuck to their guns.

I will loose respect for them if they start dissing the band that originally inspired them and still make better music then they do.

Twindummy
VoivodFan
Member # 15

posted August 13, 2003 21:44     Profile for Twindummy   Email Twindummy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
i cant believe i just read the opinions of five people who think Disturbed is a good band. youll pay for this, twin dummy...hehe

Sorry man! I did, however ask the guy to elaborate on what they said about Voivod from h's request. So hopefully we can find out. Let me also clarify - I do not know of those people posting on that board.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 14, 2003 10:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think O$$fest was a good thing for Voivod to play. Nothing wrong with a little exposure. Maybe it will turn a few people on to the best underground Metal band of all time. Maybe getting into Voivod will be that stepping stone some of these kids need to get into REAL Metal instead of this mallcore shite.
Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted August 14, 2003 15:06     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
I think O$$fest was a good thing for Voivod to play. Nothing wrong with a little exposure. Maybe it will turn a few people on to the best underground Metal band of all time. Maybe getting into Voivod will be that stepping stone some of these kids need to get into REAL Metal instead of this mallcore shite.

Amem, brotha. My very first rock concert was the 1988 Monsters of Rock. I thought is the most amazing thing that Metallica was on that, in the midst of all those forumula-rock 80's bands. I think Voivod's "chance" presence on Ozzfest is a similar situation. Their music stands out against what one might consider to be the "mainstream formula rock" of today. I don't think it will blow the doors wide open for them to the extent Monsters did for Metallica, but the exposure will be good enough, and it will turn some of those mallrats around. ***Who knows? Voivod's next major tour just might be area-sized with a giant (LOL) Korgar statue crumbling to the ground or something....now THERE'S $75 well spent.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 14, 2003 18:53     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Before the Ozz tour, the record has sold 10,000 (roughly) in the US. Now as the tour is winding down, it's reported as being 15,000 units sold. You do the math.

Sure the Ozzfest exposure was a great thing (even fuckin' 1Wrestling.com has a Voivod mention last week, of all places), but it doesnt seem to reflect that well on the sales. Considering the average intelligence of ozzfest concert goers, i'm not surprised. How would that be possible for them to recognize genuine talent when they're so amazed by that dude from Disturbed? Y'know.

I really wished the record wouldve just fucking EXPLODED! But it didnt happen yet. I'm bummed about it, really. I'm still very proud of the band. If anything, they got momentum going from touring so the next record might be bigger.

I hope so.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 14, 2003 19:05     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and the guy responded to TwinDummy on that other forum. Here's what he said:

quote:
Basically I asked him (Matt) if they got their name from the Voivod album of the same name and he adamantly denied that and proceeded to say in no certain terms that he and his band don't like Voivod's music and wouldn't of chosen the name if they knew of the Voivod album but they do respect them as a band and for doing their own thing. Wow -- all that in one sentence.

Ok look, this is ridiculous. Like they "totally made up" the name Nothingface.

Sure.

Sir, you are a cunt.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 15, 2003 07:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If NOTHINGFACE is actually denying that they got the name from VOIVOD then their either fuckin liars or did so many drugs that they don't remember their past. Fuck, they created the band after the album was released and all the good metal bands in the Baltimore area were influenced by the album. You can hear it in their early recordings and live performances. Wrathchild America (Souls At Zero), Chemikill (Click.), Museum Of Fear (Apollo Ra), and lots of other local acts were definitley influenced by VOIVOD...they wouldn't deny this. If you were in a metal band at that time and this album didn't have any effect on you...then you were close minded.

It's sad to think Tom Maxwell has forgotten what inspired him to play and stay in music. He was in a few bands before creating Nothingface, and he's always been a damn fine guitar player. One of his first bands, HAVE MERCY was great and Tom has always been a sought after guitar player, but maybe he thinks it's bad press to talk about those days, or his ego doesn't allow it.
I have some early Nothingface tapes and you can tell they certainly knew who the fuck VOIVOD was.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan