my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » No more Formula 1 in Montreal

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No more Formula 1 in Montreal
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 11, 2003 19:53     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MONTREAL (AFP) - Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone confirmed that next year's Canadian Grand Prix had fallen victim to tough new anti-tobacco laws.

"I spoke to him (Ecclestone) on the telephone today and we're still missing from the 2004 calendar," race promoter Normand Legault told AFP.

Last Thursday Legault had received a letter from Ecclestone's office informing him that the race had been scrapped, but confusion arose when the GP boss subsequently announced he had still to decide on the matter.

The June event attracts crowds of 300,000 to Montreal which in turn generates around 40 million dollars for the city.

But a local government spokesman said last week the legislation banning tobacco advertising at sporting events would not be changed.

"We recognize that there will be an important impact on Montreal's economy but we also have an obligation to protect the health of Canadians," Farah Mohamed, a spokesman for Canadian health minister Anne McLellan said.

"We feel very strongly about our legislation."

However Legault still held out a little hope that the race could be rescued.

"I think there is still a small chance of getting the race back on the 2004 calendar.

"That would be if Bernie Ecclestone accepted that the cars would race without tobacco advertising in the race like they do in France and Great Britain.

"However without that advertising we would have to find 20million dollars in sponsorship from somewhere else."

News of Canada's demise came one week after the 2004 Belgium GP at Spa-Francorchamps was reinstated a year after it was stripped of its F1 status.

Spa was taken off the calendar after changes to tough laws on tobacco advertising similar to those in Canada were watered down to cater for sporting events like GPs.

The Montreal circuit, named after the late Ferrari ace, has been home to the event since 1977.

Legault has conceded the decision will prove a blow to the city's tourist trade, but he is hoping for the race's return in two years time.

"There's an important economic impact," he said. "There will be an important negative impact on Montreal's tourism.

"I'm not throwing in the towel right away. If there is not a race in 2004, maybe it'll be in 2005."

::::

This REALLY Sucks!
I love the Canadian GP!
Thanks a lot Canadian Health Ministry for screwing up a good thing!

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 11, 2003 20:19     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah yeah, boo-hoo, no car race. Where was the international press when all the arts groups lost funding from tobacco companies? Tobacco products are a good form of population control.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 11, 2003 21:02     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So are deadly car race crashes.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan