my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Show

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Show
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 03, 2003 11:49     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PART ONE

Last night I went to a show. Cthon had told me our friend Matt would be playing with his new band in Columbia a couple of weeks ago. So I was stoked as this was my first metal show in a while. Right as I was getting in my car to leave, 'thon called me and told me the show had been cancelled. But come up anyway, we'll hang out. Ok, cool, no prob. I get to Columbia around 6:30 and find that they will be having a practice session later. Alright, good, still I get to see some metal. We all grab something to eat which turns out to be one of my more profitable feasts. Its a chickenshack of some kind, I place my order and sit down. They bring my food. We leave. When we get back to Matt's apartment, I realize I never paid for anything. I appreciated the hospitality. After supper, Matt starts making some calls and it turns out that the show is on. WOW, now how could this be with the venue shut down? So we drive with Matt to where the band practices. Its a rental storage facility. He starts tuning his drums. Then a guitar player shows up. He starts tuning his guitars. I'm wondering, damn, shouldn't they start moving equipment into their van? They got a show soon. Anyway, Matt's girl, comes by, and she takes 'thon and me to get beer. I grab some Amber Bock, gum, cigs...ten dollars in all. We head back to the storage place. The scene has changed completely. As we get to the security gate, we see two young girls dressed in drab grey and black colors run toward our car. They yell with much exuberance, "WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE A DONATION TO THE BANDS??????" Matt's girl very smoothly says, "sure, we got to park though." We drive into a morass of pierced, tattoed teens crowded around the open door of a storage unit. Suddenly I realize, this is The Show. They're playing at a fucking rental storage facility. Now this is metal the way it is supposed to be.

PART TWO

Matt's band sets up and goes through a quick feeback drenched soundcheck. What happens for the next 15 minutes is worth the whole trip. These guys launch into a furious assault of sound. The crowd has assembled into the double unit pressing right against the band. Soon they are a part of the show moshing with the singer whose barely audible hardcore catcalls are buried in a sea of bodies falling back and forth in the small confines of space. It is a beautiful sight. 'thon and I watch from the outside with Matt's girl. I ask her about the kids here. She tells me that all the girls a year ago were part of the prep crowd and dressed as such. Their turnaround in fashion and music is a result of wanting boys. She tells me this with an air of disgust, but I have to think, isnt' this better than these girls chasing guys at a mall or some football game?

PART THREE

Matt's band is done and the second group comes on the name of which is something like, The Great Redneck Hope...They're from Colorado. Immediately they start unloading equipment from a van. Several members come up to us asking for beer or water. 'thon obliges them with his nasty piss Natural Ice. I hold off cause I want to see if their playing deserves a free beer. These guys look like actors in a early 80's b-movie. You know, those movies that are always played on Saturday afternoons when there isn't shit on to watch except golf. The bass player definitely would have been the lead actor in such a film. His jeans are rolled up a bit in an attempt I guess to show off his black leather shoes. Several of the members walk up to each other to grab each other's crotches which is followed by much giggling. A homoerotic inside joke perhaps? I'm not sure. Nobody seems to be paying attention to them. So they get started playing chanting in accapella the theme song to the PBS show, Rainbow Reader. They follow this immediately with a tremendous outburst of distortion shrieks from their instruments. I can see the singer crouched in a furious vocal attack but I hear no words emitting from his microphone. The PA is blown. Apparently he doesn't realize this. And the kids don't care either as what was a mosh pit before has now turned into a full-scale riot. They hang from the ceiling joists, run up against the walls, in total defiance of breaking a limb. The G.R. Hope love it too. With thirty second,(I would not call them songs), but rather cacophonous moments, they blow the walls out. There is a "modern" merit here in the dynamics, delivery and total disregard for conventional song structure. This is why I'm so happy that these trendkill teens are exposed to this. Sure they've conformed to this punk chic in fashion and style, but unlike a conformity to normal American society involving sitting on your ass watching college football and eating doritos, these children are exposed to a jagged endeavor of life which provokes them instead of sedating them as our sedentary television culture tends to do. The band obviously has a following cause after the show several of the kids are buying tapes out of the back of their van. Maybe they'll make enough for a motel room. Probably not.

So that was the show. 'thon was looking rough that night the result of a bender the night before. I sobered up well enough to make the drive home at 2 in the morning. A great night for ten bucks and a free meal.

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 03, 2003 14:15     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heart warming, Mez. Surely.

Alias, that reminds me: I haven't seen a metal show for a good while. Last one was a covers band ("Unholy Outlaw" was the name, if I'm not wrong), spanking Judas Priest songs and Dio-era Black Sabbath.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 03, 2003 14:48     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like a blast! I'm going to have to look around the net for something on these guys. MP3.com maybe? There's a few Metal shows coming up around here. Kataklysm, Into Eternity, SYL, Poison.

And no, I'm not going to see Poison.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 03, 2003 15:09     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
our friend matt's band is called Man At Arms. you can check them out here: mp3 . the last band that Mez didnt mention was the Abstinence Pistols, who besides having a kick-ass name, really arent worth mentioning. haha.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 03, 2003 15:18     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh yeah, and matt wants to share the fact that he doesnt play on that mp3 and that their sound has evolved into something much better. thanx~
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 03, 2003 17:26     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
PART ONE

Last night I went to a show. Cthon had told me our friend Matt would be playing with his new band in Columbia a couple of weeks ago. So I was stoked as this was my first metal show in a while. Right as I was getting in my car to leave, 'thon called me and told me the show had been cancelled. But come up anyway, we'll hang out. Ok, cool, no prob. I get to Columbia around 6:30 and find that they will be having a practice session later. Alright, good, still I get to see some metal. We all grab something to eat which turns out to be one of my more profitable feasts. Its a chickenshack of some kind, I place my order and sit down. They bring my food. We leave. When we get back to Matt's apartment, I realize I never paid for anything. I appreciated the hospitality. After supper, Matt starts making some calls and it turns out that the show is on. WOW, now how could this be with the venue shut down? So we drive with Matt to where the band practices. Its a rental storage facility. He starts tuning his drums. Then a guitar player shows up. He starts tuning his guitars. I'm wondering, damn, shouldn't they start moving equipment into their van? They got a show soon. Anyway, Matt's girl, comes by, and she takes 'thon and me to get beer. I grab some Amber Bock, gum, cigs...ten dollars in all. We head back to the storage place. The scene has changed completely. As we get to the security gate, we see two young girls dressed in drab grey and black colors run toward our car. They yell with much exuberance, "WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE A DONATION TO THE BANDS??????" Matt's girl very smoothly says, "sure, we got to park though." We drive into a morass of pierced, tattoed teens crowded around the open door of a storage unit. Suddenly I realize, this is The Show. They're playing at a fucking rental storage facility. Now this is metal the way it is supposed to be.

PART TWO

Matt's band sets up and goes through a quick feeback drenched soundcheck. What happens for the next 15 minutes is worth the whole trip. These guys launch into a furious assault of sound. The crowd has assembled into the double unit pressing right against the band. Soon they are a part of the show moshing with the singer whose barely audible hardcore catcalls are buried in a sea of bodies falling back and forth in the small confines of space. It is a beautiful sight. 'thon and I watch from the outside with Matt's girl. I ask her about the kids here. She tells me that all the girls a year ago were part of the prep crowd and dressed as such. Their turnaround in fashion and music is a result of wanting boys. She tells me this with an air of disgust, but I have to think, isnt' this better than these girls chasing guys at a mall or some football game?

PART THREE

Matt's band is done and the second group comes on the name of which is something like, The Great Redneck Hope...They're from Colorado. Immediately they start unloading equipment from a van. Several members come up to us asking for beer or water. 'thon obliges them with his nasty piss Natural Ice. I hold off cause I want to see if their playing deserves a free beer. These guys look like actors in a early 80's b-movie. You know, those movies that are always played on Saturday afternoons when there isn't shit on to watch except golf. The bass player definitely would have been the lead actor in such a film. His jeans are rolled up a bit in an attempt I guess to show off his black leather shoes. Several of the members walk up to each other to grab each other's crotches which is followed by much giggling. A homoerotic inside joke perhaps? I'm not sure. Nobody seems to be paying attention to them. So they get started playing chanting in accapella the theme song to the PBS show, Rainbow Reader. They follow this immediately with a tremendous outburst of distortion shrieks from their instruments. I can see the singer crouched in a furious vocal attack but I hear no words emitting from his microphone. The PA is blown. Apparently he doesn't realize this. And the kids don't care either as what was a mosh pit before has now turned into a full-scale riot. They hang from the ceiling joists, run up against the walls, in total defiance of breaking a limb. The G.R. Hope love it too. With thirty second,(I would not call them songs), but rather cacophonous moments, they blow the walls out. There is a "modern" merit here in the dynamics, delivery and total disregard for conventional song structure. This is why I'm so happy that these trendkill teens are exposed to this. Sure they've conformed to this punk chic in fashion and style, but unlike a conformity to normal American society involving sitting on your ass watching college football and eating doritos, these children are exposed to a jagged endeavor of life which provokes them instead of sedating them as our sedentary television culture tends to do. The band obviously has a following cause after the show several of the kids are buying tapes out of the back of their van. Maybe they'll make enough for a motel room. Probably not.

So that was the show. 'thon was looking rough that night the result of a bender the night before. I sobered up well enough to make the drive home at 2 in the morning. A great night for ten bucks and a free meal.

hehe-he hehe
he said "morass"...
hehe yeah, hehe

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 03, 2003 20:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, I thought I was gonna get away with that word.

Looking back on that, I must have been in a pretty serious mood this morning. Like, what's with all the social commentary????

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 03, 2003 20:34     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
no shit; social commentary is so...so...like, emo.

id also neglected to mention that Man At Arms played the best (and probably only) thrash metal version of "Midnight Nambla" in the world...RAWK~

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 03, 2003 20:47     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you want to read some funny shit:

TGRH band

Go to journal, scroll all the way to the bottom. Last paragraph...these guys are quick.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 03, 2003 21:47     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of those days, I GOTTA head down to Georgia and party with you fucks, and have all the fat hick chicks wet themselves over my accent.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 04, 2003 01:38     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fucking bad-ass story Mez.
BUT: You guys should have bought a bunch of cheap-ass beer and sold it for rediculous prices to the "teenies".

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 04, 2003 04:54     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's a cool story Mez. Me 'n' nell stumbled across a cool band last night too. We were hanging out in Hyde Park getting drunk and sunburnt, and just as the sun was going down we headed for the exit. It was right then that we heard some metal in the distance. We just figured it was some pot head with a portable stereo. As we got nearer we spotted 3 silhouettes. A guitarist and a bass player plugged into little busking amps, and a drummer with a tiny bass drum / snare / cymbol set up, and man - they were just jamming in a field as the sun went down. Fucking cool. We sat and watched for a long while, and they were still playing as we headed off for more beer.
Unbelievable to see that going on nowadays. It felt like we hit a time warp. Good days all round!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 04, 2003 08:00     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know it just occurred to me that when these "teens punks" are not going to shows their fat asses are all probably on the couch eating doritos and watching Big Brother 4.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan