my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 29, 2003 11:29     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sum hope
By INQUIRER staff: Tuesday 29 July 2003, 10:31
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10733

READER MICHAELA STEPHENS says that if the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is right and that 60 million US folk are file sharing, it's going to take the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) a mighty long time to get round to them all.
She said: "I pulled out my calculator to see just how long it would take the RIAA to sue all 60 million P2P music file traders at a rate of 75 a day. 60,000,000/75 = 800,000 days to subpoena each person or 800,000 days/365 days in a year = 2191.78 years to subpoena each person".

Michaela points out that it's unrealistic to suppose that the RIAA will have any money left in 2191 years, and she even wonders whether the trade association will exist then.

Plus, she points out, given the rate of tech advancement, it's likely that we'll have moved on to many different types of music media in even a hundred years.

She continues: " So let us consider more realistic numbers. The RIAA plans to sue thousands of file sharers. Working in increments of 5000: 5,000 people/75 subpoenas a day = 66 days How are they going to keep track of all these lawsuits going on? 10,000 people/75 subpoenas a day = 133 days or about 2/3 of a year.

"Keep in mind suing 10,000 people is still only going to impact only one six thousandth (1/6000) of the file traders out there. And who is getting rich off of this? The lawyers. Betcha not a single musician will see a cent of this money.

"15,000 people/75 subpoenas a day = 200 days (1 out of every 4000 affected) 20,000 people/75 subpoenas a day = 266.6 days (1 out of every 3000 affected)

"When might this actually start affecting us? When 1 out of every 10 is affected? That would mean they'd have to sue six million people. That would take,...(6,000,000/75 = 80,000)... 80,000 days.. or 219 years! They'd have to sue our great grand children!"

:::

They gonna sue my Grandbabies?

|  IP: Logged
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted July 29, 2003 19:13     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHEW! I'm safe on that one since I'm NOT having any babies!!

Besides, technically, wouldn't they have to sue my organization since the computer I download with is theirs?? Whatever, that was interesting.......oh shit!

I just realized what a grave mistake I could be making - that I will not be passing on the "voivodfan" gene? Maybe I have to rethink that one. Or better yet, king kula, it's up to you - you MUST take on multiple wives and make multiple voivodfan babies for the good of the planet and the human race! Hurry!!

Doh, I just realized what a grave mistake I just made in encouraging you to make BABY KING KULA'S!!! Stop, KKS, stop for the good of the planet and the human race!!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 30, 2003 12:40     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
More Liberal Democrat Kula babies!!??

Yes! That IS a good idea indeed!

Ok...Who wants to be first for impregnation...Hypergrrl? You?

(Dont worry, it will only take a minute. lol!)

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 30, 2003 13:42     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy shit, an entire race of Angel Rat worshippers.
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted July 30, 2003 16:06     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
Who wants to be first for impregnation...Hypergrrl? You?

(Dont worry, it will only take a minute. lol!)

Are you kidding?? I don't even think New Mexicans and Texans are supposed to like each other, are they?!? But I guess I could continue to like you since you do like Voivod and Angel Rat, as I do.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 30, 2003 16:16     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes. AngelRat is the single greatest CD of the 1990's.

You are NEW Mexican and not OLD Mexican or Tex-Mexican so...you are ok.

(Note to self: Stop eating Bean and Beef Burrito's for lunch.)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 30, 2003 17:41     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
AngelRat is the single greatest CD of the 1990's.

First I read that Lick It Up is better than Creatures, now this???

That's too much for one day at work. Screw you guys, I'm going home.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 10, 2003 14:33     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://theregister.com/content/6/32717.html

also:

From The Register:
RIAA KEEPS 12-YEAR-OLD QUIET WITH $2,000 BILL
By Ashlee Vance in Chicago
Posted: 10/09/2003 at 00:28 GMT
The RIAA took quick steps to blunt a public relations atrocity by agreeing to settle out of court with a 12-year-old girl accused of trading copyrighted songs.

It took all of twenty-four hours for young Biggie Brianna to be hit with a lawsuit and then pay up for her alleged crimes. The youngster's mother has agreed to shell out $2,000 to get the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) off her family's back. This marks the first settlement to come as a result of the 261 lawsuits the RIAA filed this week.

Earlier in the day, Brianna complained of stomach pains and emotional suffering as a result of the RIAA's actions. After signing the soothing settlement, however, she expressed regret at having harmed the precious artists.

It's okay, Brianna, don't worry. Fox manufactures new artists every few months. The new ones won't know that you committed the naughty act of trying to listen to their music.

The pigopolists no doubt prepared a contingency plan should any toddlers, pre-teens or bedridden seniors get caught in their web of lawsuits. Alarm bells must have sounded in the swine cave when word of Biggie Brianna got out. A number of news outlets rushed to tell the story of the honors student gone wrong.

Brianna thought the $29.99 fee her mother paid for the Kazaa music trading service entitled her to download songs at will. Nothing like a lawsuit seeking $150,000 per song to correct that misconception. This is what some refer to as a growing pain.

This settlement has taught us a few valuable lessons about the RIAA's methodology. Apparently, young teens hit the copyright infringement scale at the $2,000 mark. College students, by contrast, must cough up between $12,000 and $17,000 for their violations, as we saw earlier this year. So any parents out there with children under 12 can expect their precious tots' crimes to cost around $1,000. That's comforting.

It's also clear that the RIAA has no leniency for the less well off in society. Brianna happened to live in a New York Housing Authority apartment, which provides safe, affordable housing to low- and moderate-income families. The music label executives are struggling to pay the rent on their penthouse apartments because of file-trading, so why cut the lower class some slack? We all have needs.

The RIAA's actions, however, aren't going unnoticed by the government. During a Senate Judiciary Hearing Tuesday, the RIAA president Cary Sherman faced some tough questions.

"Are you headed to junior high schools to round up the usual suspects?" Sen. Dick Durbin asked, according to the AP.

"Yes, there are going to be some kids caught in this, but you'd be surprised at how many adults are engaged in this activity," Sherman said.

Don't let your emotions get the best of you, Cary. Come on, stay tough.

The RIAA is sure to have some PR gaffes as their legal crusade goes along. But a few miscues are certainly worth it when we are all being taught such a valuable lesson.

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted September 10, 2003 21:03     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FUCK THE RIAA, FUCK THEM UP THEIR STUPID CLOWN ASSES!!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan