my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 'Tomahawk' tomorrow: London.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Tomahawk' tomorrow: London.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted July 17, 2003 09:21     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of Mike Patton's myriad bands.

Anyway, I'm to see them tomorrow - has anyone her seen them - most likely in the US? - what can I expect?

I've never seen any of Patton's bands - would you believe - so I'm very intrigued.

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 17, 2003 10:07     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Bumeggs - I'll be there! I'm the one with short brown hair wearing a grey EOLB Tshirt and holding the Guinness. Come say hello.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 17, 2003 10:10     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, I would love to be there. Just too damn skint right now. Last time I saw the Melvins they rocked. Never seen Tomahawk, but I've seen Patton in both FNM and Fantomas, both of which we're excellent gigs. Have fun for me, will yer.

P.S. Nice choice of shirt Mr Helly-chopper!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 17, 2003 10:16     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, lets hope it doesn't shrink to Action Man size in the wash.
nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted July 17, 2003 10:52     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Melvins fucking rule. Don't forget to watch them!!

Tomahawk are good. Fantômas are better.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted July 17, 2003 11:04     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Hey Bumeggs - I'll be there! I'm the one with short brown hair wearing a grey EOLB Tshirt and holding the Guinness. Come say hello.

Excellent!

I'm very short-haired, skinny, tall and will be wearing a 'Melt-Banana' tshirt.
I'll be with two others, my gf. and my mate from work.
Brown drink of choice will be decided upon whimsically.

Shame you couldn't make it h.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted July 17, 2003 11:06     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nell:
Melvins fucking rule. Don't forget to watch them!!

Tomahawk are good. Fantômas are better.

A mate of mine is a huge fan of the Melvins,
he's made me copies of stuff, but I've been really lazy about listening...

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 17, 2003 11:11     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
tall, skinny, melt banana. Right-o, but I'm not calling you bum eggs, especially not in front of a lady. whats yer name?
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted July 17, 2003 11:21     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
tall, skinny, melt banana. Right-o, but I'm not calling you bum eggs, especially not in front of a lady. whats yer name?

It's John.

Yours is Emlyn, i take it?

As for offending my girlfriend... she can swear for a full twenty minutes without repeating herself...

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 17, 2003 11:27     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
emlyn/mike/emlyn/cunt/whatever.

Where is the gig anyway?

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted July 17, 2003 12:00     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
emlyn/mike/emlyn/cunt/whatever.

Where is the gig anyway?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?X=528910&Y=185333&arrow=Y&zoom=1

at the forum...
(bear in mind though, that I am a total map-idiot, so please double check this single-sourced info.)

Tomorrow one of us can header a post "a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.", or summat.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 17, 2003 12:09     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a piece of piss to find. Just go out of Kentish Town tube station and turn right. It's on the other side of the road about 2 mins up. Cool venue too. Seen some good gigs there, but I'm gonna miss this one.. Waaaaaaahhh....
piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted July 17, 2003 17:15     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
how f*&^ing weird!! is that I just bought both tomahawk cds the other ( even since I ve never heard them before) and I can t stop listening to them I love it!!! so I thought I would come on here and reconmend it to you guys, but what ya know a tomahawk thread! shit .... nothing gets past you guys & gals, anyway for all that havent heard them its the closest thing faith no more out there, the difference is nobody's telling patton to stop being weird, which is GREAT!! anyways 5 stars from me, if that means anything...
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 17, 2003 22:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tomahawk rules. I'm totally fucking jealous.

I have a wicked boot of a Tomahawk show from last year and their first CD. I almost bought Mit Gas last week, but cash was on short supply and (just like everything else on Ipecac) it was outrageously expensive. Gonna have to wait until payday.

We want a full show report with setlists! That means keeping a CLEAR HEAD which means NO DRINKING. Serves ya right for me and h not getting to see 'em

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 21, 2003 03:28     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the fuck was all that glass throwing about?
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted July 21, 2003 04:01     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
What the fuck was all that glass throwing about?

Are you saying that things got out of control at a Patton-related show?

NAWWW!!

So are you gonna share this tale or what?

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted July 21, 2003 04:35     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...Out here in space, I'm looking down on you...

A strange venue, I'd not been there before.
it's obviously an old theatre with very steep balconies and as such we were lookingright down on the bands. I got a birds eye view of all the slamming and glass throwing.

It seemed more out of fun than aggression - but it's hard to throw a plastic glass and make it's parabola look "angry" I suppose - too lightweight... Unlike "The Melvins".
Fucking 'ell - what a noise for a three piece. Great stuff, and I'll be looking for studio stuff now.

I couldn't quite get my head round Tomahawk.
I've not heard them before - and it all sounded like epic starts and stops, with those huge, sudden thrashes - Mike Patton raging about. It was all too much to take in and not very 'catchy'.
I should have hunted out some studio stuff first.

EKH, I kept a look out for you. They separated out us upstairs from you downstairs folks though. It was a capacity crowd too, looking at it.

PS: ever wondered what people in the reserved seats do? They sit there texting on their expensive phones and chatting - they barely glanced at the bands.
Tossers.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 21, 2003 05:04     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ah, I did have a look around for you, John, but seeing as you were in the cheep seats...

Heres a short impartial review (as I'm new to both bands)

There were four bands playing at the Forum (shitty old theatre sweatbox in a horrible, horrible part of Northern Central London), but we missed the first act.

The second band, Kaara (?) came on as we got to the bar, initially playing a mad rush of noise (like Cardiacs or Zappa) then going into a showman version of 'Morphine', only with a Hammond organ instead of a sax. Great 3-peice action!

One track was a DAT playing the song, complete with vocals, which the singer/keyboard player gestured into the mic with his lips tightly shut. An excellent new band who I'd definatly try and see again.

Towards the end of thier set a bunch of meatheaded townies started chucking empty plastic pint glasses at the singer, until the big angry bouncer came out and looked at them.

Half an hour later, on came the melvins in dresses. Top stuff, athough I'm not familier with their back catalogue. Apparently they played most of their stuff in medley form which suited it. I had a good old mosh until suddenly the meatheads joined in and it got very New York c.1985. Way to violent, some cunt with a braclet tore the skin off my back!

So I retired to the bar, from where I watche Tomahawk. Or rather, from where I watched the first half of their set. We left then, because they were shit.

Apart from that, it was just meatheads chucking plastic pint things at Mike Patton over and over again. Why the fuck did these people pay £15 to get in if they were just going to try and fuck it up?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan