my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The new MARS VOLTA record

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The new MARS VOLTA record
farside
VoivodFan
Member # 193

posted July 14, 2003 19:22     Profile for farside   Email farside     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fucking incredible. People on the board know good music, and have an open mind. The new Mars Volta is INSANE. Way better than At The Drive In and Sparta.

check em out

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 14, 2003 20:17     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool, I'll have to check them out. I like Sparta alot. Thanks for the tip!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 14, 2003 20:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FARSIDE - I Couldn't have said it better...very innovative music. I hear some King Crimson and Led Zep amongst many other influnces that bleed thru in Mars Volta's music, all blended into a totally original sound. If you are adventurous when it comes to music, this is for you.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 14, 2003 20:57     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i need to check this out, whats a good song to d/l? keep in mind i own almost every ATDI and am a BIG fan of that band....
farside
VoivodFan
Member # 193

posted July 14, 2003 22:54     Profile for farside   Email farside     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
all pretty much good. The album is super cheap from Universal ...one of those "developing artists" prices. I paid $9 for mine
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 15, 2003 13:14     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This album is absolutely genius! The more I listen to it, the more I like it. This will surely end up in my Top Ten Best Albums from 2003.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 21, 2003 13:44     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
An interview with Omar Rodriquez-Lopez in the National Post:

In their own little world
The Mars Volta offer a 'completely narcissistic' debut

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 21, 2003 22:11     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent album. Mentioned this thread to Metal Moser and he brought the CD in later that day for me to check out. Love it. Gonna buy it.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 28, 2003 04:47     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Finally picked this up. Didn't think I was gonna like it. I saw them live a while ago and didn't think much of it, but this is a damn fine record man. Cheers for the tip!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 28, 2003 09:25     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am in agreement with Mr. Armstrong, it is indeed a fine recording.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 29, 2003 01:11     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess I'll be the first to go against the grain on this one.

Many people out there are calling this 'the new progressive' and it just sickens me.

I have also heard rumblings about how this is so fresh,
because Mars Volta has created a progressive sound without
being 'dragged down' by any old-school prog influences.

I may just have to get violent.

What they hear is music which benefits from a lack
of "stumbling blocks" and brings in "fresh angles".

What I hear is music which "lacks direction" and "stagnates".

I actually think that the very thing this album lacks
is a more traditional progressive influence.
Glaringly missing is the cornerstone of all great prog rock:
The profound and imaginative melodic creations and complex arrangements thereof.
Without that element, self-indulgent music like this is at a complete standstill.

To these critics:
Step back for a moment, you portentous bandwagon jumpers
& ignorant brown-nosers, and imagine how much this band
would have benefitted from the proper absorption of some
Magnus-era Steve Hackett, or even a good dose of early 80's Rush.
How about just ONE SPIN of Pre-ignition!?

I can see why fans of music like Santana might enjoy this
crap for the endlessly rambling and totally pointless 'jams',
and likewise I could see why younger, less experienced
listeners would enjoy this album because it is so differs
from 99% of the mainstream crap, but I am surprised to see
that so many seasoned prog veterans are falling for this
...monstrously 'lousy' album.

P.S. I do not understand how ANYONE can stand that
so-called 'vocalist' for more than the flick of an eyelash.
AAARRRGGGHH!!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 29, 2003 04:51     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I put the record on. I liked it. I haven't even considered whether or not it's 'the new progressive'. Mainly because it isn't. But it is a good record.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 29, 2003 05:07     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I should clarify that these outsider's need to tag this
album with 'new this' or 'new that' is ultimately irrelevant to me.

I think it sucks ass regardless.

GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted August 29, 2003 13:30     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

P.S. I do not understand how ANYONE can stand that
so-called 'vocalist' for more than the flick of an eyelash.
AAARRRGGGHH!!

Agreed- the guy sound like Jerry Lewis or something, this is why I don't get into these guys. I can see why they are so overrated but, compared with the rest of the big rock coming out, like qotsa or foo fighter, this shit is like good.
good, solid, radio rocker.

A modern-day TOTO I think.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 29, 2003 14:01     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TOTO! lol!!!

'Hold the line
Love isn't always on time
Oh oh oh'

hahahaaaa! Hey Kula, do you have any Toto records? Or just ELO?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 29, 2003 14:25     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GarbageDay:
Agreed- the guy sound like Jerry Lewis or something...

LOL!!

Hard at work in...
~The Comatorium~

GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted August 29, 2003 14:51     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just peed on my computer that's funny picture!!!!!!!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 29, 2003 14:57     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
TOTO! lol!!!

'Hold the line
Love isn't always on time
Oh oh oh'

hahahaaaa! Hey Kula, do you have any Toto records? Or just ELO?

TOTO! Yeaaahhhhh! Wooooooooo!

Toto totally Rock! Cool band indeed, Nia!
Theyre song 'Rosanna' was written by the Keyboardist
for the Actress Rosanna Arquette.

Little TOTO trivia for you.

OH!...and in those lyrics you posted...its not "Oh oh oh..."
its..."Whoa whoa whoa..."

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 29, 2003 15:33     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Toto, now that's a band name. Toto.

Toto trivia #2: they did the soundtrack to David Lynch's "Dune".

Toto. Like Toto the Clown, or Toto the Dog.

Toto.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted August 29, 2003 16:48     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who would've thought. Some closet Toto-fans in here...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan