my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Halford is back in Priest (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Halford is back in Priest
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 18, 2003 13:22     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BumËggs:
Priest without Halford was just embarrasing.

Really? Not as much embarassing as Black Sabbath in the 80s! BS had so much different line-ups that anyone can say now they have been in Sabbath!

Look here: http://www.black-sabbath.com/personnel/timeline.html

Scroll down and look at that story about Jeff Fenholt. THAT'S embarassing. There is even a story about a guy they picked up on the street to be the bass player in a video! THAT is VERY embarassing. And they don't even know the guy's name!

Oh, and I was in Black Sabbath. I left because the band wasn't going nowhere.

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted July 18, 2003 14:09     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I may be in a minority here, but I thought Sabbath's Born Again album with Gillan was great. Zero the Hero, Disturbing the Priest, Hotline, Born Again, Trashed, Digital Bitch - all very cool songs with the bonus of being sung by Ian Gillan. The production on it was utter kack but I still love those tunes. If, by '80's Sabbath' you're referring to the stuff AFTER Born Again, then I'm right there with ya.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 18, 2003 14:32     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally agree with you Kane. I've got all the Sabbath albums until Born Again, nothing after that is of interest, at least for me. Also, I've got that Reunion album, but I don't really care for it that much. Live At Last is so much better...

Plus, the new songs on Reunion are annoying.

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted July 18, 2003 15:25     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agreed and I'll go one step further by saying that THE ETERNAL IDOL & HEADLESS CROSS were good also. That's not to mention DEHUMANIZER ('92, though).
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 18, 2003 15:37     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not judging the music, of course. Just the fact that so many changes in the line-up makes me ask that question: is it still Black Sabbath? The embarassment comes from there.

As for Priest, they changed singer but kept 4 previous members (three of them are original members) and didn't went for 56 line-up changes in a ten year span.

Poor Tony Iommi!

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted July 18, 2003 20:55     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorf:
Lets have a new tour- Clash of the Dinosaurs! Can you spell P-A-S-S-E ?

>>>SEE IRON MAIDEN, DIO, MOTORHEAD ON TOUR NOW. Plus, I heard about some Canadien Concert coming up with Rolling Stones, AC/DC, RUSH, The Guess Who. Now, you know the definition of "old" when AC/DC opens for The Stones. Would love to see it though, but I got all my $$$ wrapped up in Hall n' Oates tickets. LOL

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 19, 2003 06:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BORN AGAIN is incredible!!! I even liked Eternal Idol & Seventh Star although they remind me more of a Rainbow album than Sabbath, but still worth listening to. The 'waste of plastic' releases for me include: Tyr, Forbidden, Headless Cross, Cross Purposes, ans most of Technial Ecstacy...although I have all of these cds I rarely play them...if ever...but I gotta have them to complete the catalog.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted July 19, 2003 15:30     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For a brief time period there two albums were on heavy rotation at Nige's place : Black Sabbath's "Born Again" and Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers". Of course I must admit right here that it was myself who forced the others to play that particular Deep Purple album. Nigel said he liked it and didn't mind listening to it but was (early 80's) all Black Sabbathed and Deep Purpled and Led Zepplined out and could hardly bear to listen to them any more! Doesn't being young suck sometimes? At that time, I was the new dick on the block and was still trying to absorb shit that they had already come across. Anyways, in my books, Ian Gillan is one of the all time GREAT rock 'n roll vocalists and his vocals on Born Again just blew my mind. I just loved (and still do) Zero the Hero when I first heard it. It was this song that got me going on that album and I must admit that I still listen to it now and then. It reminds me of how amazing Black Sabbath and that album were at that particular point in time and also just how intense and heavy their show was. Checkout the Zero the Hero video or Trashed to see what I mean. I just loved that whole stage setup what with smoke machines, lights situated close to the drum kit and that gigantic inverted cross. I have yet to come across any current band who could pull off something like a Born Again and just be so over the top - intense, powerful, and good! What also strikes me as being amazing is what I refer to as the maturity of the band at that time. These were grown men we were listening to who had gotten through alot of shit (Or in Tony Iommi's case, a whole lot of Quaaludes!)and it comes out in the way they presented themselves and also the songs. Wow! I still listen to Perfect Strangers as well now and then. What can I say, it is a very good album; every song on it is good! After these two albums, the rest which were made by either band I never really got into. Reminds me of how disappointed I was after coming across that album featuring Jake E. Lee (Badlands?) after he left Ozzy. I was expecting/drooling for something that would blow my mind. Instead all that seems to have happend is that I blew some money for something I regretted buying... I hope that this doesn't happen with the new Judas Priest C.D.! Hold on there Indio! What you have just said amounts to sacrilige!!! Woops, sorry man, sorry!
Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted July 19, 2003 15:34     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see your point Maldoror regarding the personnel changes and all. What Skynyrd is doing now comes to mind when you think about how Tony Iommi stuck with the Black Sabbath name for so long. I can even see to a point why they held the name during the Dio era, but after that maybe the entity should have been renamed if nothing more than calling it Tony Iommi. The time elapsed between NEVER SAY DIE & HEAVEN AND HELL was only a couple years and I thought Sabbath were headed for much more in 1980 than they wound up getting. I know there are purists that will say Sabbath could be no more without Ozzy and I would agree generally...if it wasn't RJD filling that vacancy back then. He seemed so perfect at the time, having been with Rainbow and releasing some great albums with them.

Schroeder, I'm surprised you would call THE HEADLESS CROSS or CROSS PURPOSES "wastes of plastic", given your good taste. I guess when you have so many albums, you have a commitment to excellence.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan