my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » PHOBOS

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PHOBOS
disneysdreamdebased
VoivodFan
Member # 304

posted July 03, 2003 21:03     Profile for disneysdreamdebased   Email disneysdreamdebased     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, i'll try and keep this short- i'm probably typical of a few people here in that i committed the ultimate crime and stopped following Voivod around the time of "Negatron" ( i heard it at the time and couldn't get with it.)
Anyway being dragged back in with "Voivod" and now with the CD finding tool of Ebay at hand i decided to buy both "Negatron" and "Phobos" and listen again.
"Negatron" is better than i remember, i'm not saying it's amazing but once you accept the vocals the music/songs are OK although the drums sound a bit strange (not bad-just odd).
Anyway a few weeks later Phobos arrives- FUCK!
Did i miss out.
Let me make this absolutely clear THIS ALBUM IS EASILY AS GOOD AS ANY OTHER VOIVOD ALBUM- in many ways it's the true successor to NOTHINGFACE and in terms of ideas/intensity and overall feel i prefer it to (gasp) THE OUTER LIMITS.
I know all you who bought this on release don't need a johnny-come-lately telling you how good this record is- i'm talking to anyone who missed it.
Don't hesitate to get a copy first chance you get.
This is a VOIVOD fan circa "Dimension Hatross" era through to "Outer Limits" speaking and this record has blown me AWAY!
RISE/MERCURY/PHOBOS/BACTERIA/TEMPS MORT/FORLORN all rule and the other tracks are great also- my ONLY critisism would be that the tempo is a little one paced during the second half.
As for the vocals -they TOTALLY work- i promise you by the time the psychedelic heavyness of PHOBOS is washing over you you'll have forgotten all about the issue of who the singer is.
I read other comments on this record and assumed them the rantings of a fan who has lost all critical judgement- I was wrong- PHOBOS IS THAT GOOD!
I love the new album BUT now having heard PHOBOS ......

|  IP: Logged
disneysdreamdebased
VoivodFan
Member # 304

posted July 03, 2003 21:31     Profile for disneysdreamdebased   Email disneysdreamdebased     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok maybe not as good as "ANY" other Voivod release- but it's close!

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted July 03, 2003 23:23     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would say it's as good as the other albums. It's a damn good album, but this is from someone that can't stand The Outer Limits =/.
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted July 04, 2003 00:38     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think alot of us like Phobos : http://www.voivodfan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000875

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 04, 2003 05:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phobos rocks. I still think it'd sound better with Snake on vox - no offence to Eric, but I'm just stuck in my ways! There are some amazing riffs all through that record.
disneysdreamdebased
VoivodFan
Member # 304

posted July 04, 2003 15:14     Profile for disneysdreamdebased   Email disneysdreamdebased     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, i think KRONIK or VOIVOD LIVES will be my next piece of completing the voivod-puzzle.
Believe it or not- i have STILL never heard WAR AND PAIN or ROOOOOARR!
Killing Technology was as far back as i went- that record took me a while to get into but it is worth the effort TORNADO/FORGOTTEN IN SPACE/THIS IS NOT AN EXCERCISE/KILLING TECHNOLOGY..phew, i think i struggled because my vinyl copy was so "trebley" it was hard to listen to as the record progressed.
Thanks for the tip WC!

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted July 04, 2003 17:31     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still have not listend to Roar or Killing Tech yet, still I basically have the rest of the CD's.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 04, 2003 18:03     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You haven't listened to Killing yet????? WTFFFF man??? That's insane.

And to Disney, Lives is worth it just to hear them play Ravenous Medicine on stage. That is my favorite take of that song. It kills! The rest of the stuff on there is mostly Negatron which I don't care for. But get it, just for track #9. Hmmmm....I've just cranked it up and Insect is pretty fucking great too. Buy this album!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 05, 2003 08:28     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just listened to LIVES all the way through and I have to say that the entire album is fucking great!!! Even the Negatron stuff was good. Sure it would be nice to have some more of the oldies on there but the few that are they are incredible. I was really surprised how great it sounded.

About every 3 months I'll listen to all the VV albums in a week. Tomorrow its time to enter the Dimension......

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted July 06, 2003 00:54     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know I still gotta get it. But everyone selling it on Ebay is crazy =/
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted July 08, 2003 19:30     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Um, well....no.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan