my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metal's greatest bassist? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Metal's greatest bassist?
Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted July 03, 2003 10:32     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Les Claypool - Primus etc... Anyone who turns up for a Metallica audition and starts banging out Isley Brother's covers is good by me.

Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Stu Hamm

Now are we talking Vocals as well?
Gotta be Tom Ariya - 'nuff said

|  IP: Logged
minimalist
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 765

posted March 07, 2006 20:40     Profile for minimalist   Email minimalist     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.metalbass.com ( pure metal )
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 08, 2006 05:14     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blacky

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted March 09, 2006 02:30     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Steve Harris and Geezer Butler for sure!
Joe DiBiase from Fates Warning had some cool bass lines. Roger Patterson and Tony Benjamins of Forced Entry also gets a vote. haha I always liked his approach to not double the guitar all the time. That's the absolute beauty in Blacky's playing is that he added his own voice while making the band sound complete.
Joey Vera's a workhorse too. He's the kind of guy that seems like he likes switching roles to stay fresh as a player. I dunno.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted March 09, 2006 05:21     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Geddy Lee, Steve Harris and Doug Wimbish in non-random order

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 09, 2006 10:44     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2 1/2 years later, I still insist on Lemmy.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted March 09, 2006 10:51     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lemmy you mean GOD!

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 09, 2006 13:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who dug this thread up out of the cellar? I had to laugh at my original post. Especially the 'Brann Dailor being the best drummer'part. Now that Mastodon is popular its not cool for me to say that so I'll have to think of somebody else.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 09, 2006 14:33     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gene $immon$

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted March 09, 2006 23:16     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cliff, Geezer, Steve Harris, Sir Noir-y as far as metal goes.
others: Les Claypool, Jamerson, Wimbish, Wooten, Bootsie, dude from Dream Theater, Family Man Barrett

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 10, 2006 13:35     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Me.

Everyone else = talentless hacks.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 10, 2006 19:39     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of bad ass bass players:
Happy Barfday to Steve Harris!
the big 49...

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 11, 2006 09:07     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Who dug this thread up out of the cellar? I had to laugh at my original post. Especially the 'Brann Dailor being the best drummer'part. Now that Mastodon is popular its not cool for me to say that so I'll have to think of somebody else.

haha, i really laughed out loud...

im going to a metalcore show tonight in Summerville. ill find your new favorite drummer, whoever he is, haha.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted March 11, 2006 15:09     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First of all, a toast to all the bass players in the world (except the one in the White Stripes).
Bass is the mother of all instruments.

- Tony Choy
- Roger Patterson
- Sean Malone (Cynic)
- Stephan Fimmers (Necrophagist)
- Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)
- Steve DiGiorgio
- Clayton Ingerson (Dysrhythmia)
- Blacky

Mez, have you switched to bass yet ?

Cheers

--------------------

What the...?

pendar
VoivodFan
Member # 409

posted March 11, 2006 17:44     Profile for pendar   Email pendar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about Jeroen Paul Thessiling from Pestilence?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 12, 2006 14:13     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon6:
First of all, a toast to all the bass players in the world (except the one in the White Stripes).
Bass is the mother of all instruments.

- Tony Choy
- Roger Patterson
- Sean Malone (Cynic)
- Stephan Fimmers (Necrophagist)
- Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)
- Steve DiGiorgio
- Clayton Ingerson (Dysrhythmia)
- Blacky

Mez, have you switched to bass yet ?

Cheers

Simon, where's your myspace page yet????? I want to hear you jam.......

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 12, 2006 22:56     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syl Disjonk:
Lemmy you mean GOD!

Hell yeah.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

pendar
VoivodFan
Member # 409

posted March 15, 2006 23:19     Profile for pendar   Email pendar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, Jean Jacqes Moreac from MISANTHROPE seems to know what's up
thrashingdutchman
VoivodFan
Member # 506

posted March 23, 2006 16:28     Profile for thrashingdutchman   Email thrashingdutchman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nobody has mentioned the charismatic Peter Steele of Type O Negative ...?

--------------------

V.O.I.V.O.D.:
Versatile Organism Intended for Violence and Online Destruction

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 24, 2006 01:22     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schmier?

haha

--------------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted March 25, 2006 18:44     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Being a rather aggressive bassist myself, the GREATEST influences on my playing have (always) been Blacky and John Gallagher from RAVEN. Though John's somewhat restrained on their albums, check him out live, including their live releases... His chops will rip your face off and feed it to you. The man's playing is godly, and sings like a motherfucker to boot.

The last time I got to see Blacky play was for the Hatross tour, they played a small hardcore club in CT called The Anthrax. I was in front of Blacky for the first part of the show and I thought I'd go deaf. Pure aural destruction. The Voivod DVD has been viewed nearly constantly since its release, especially the Nothingface stuff.

All the best, PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan