my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metal's greatest bassist? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Metal's greatest bassist?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 28, 2003 17:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After listening to the three Atheist albums in their entirety(Thanks Hex!) I was astounded to hear the complex runs and total breakass groove of their bass player, TONY CHOY. I've never heard anybody in metal come close to what this guy pulled off on these albums. Its like the drum playing of Brann Dailor, nobody can touch this guy.

So what'cha think? Am I missing somebody here. I'll already go ahead and tell ya your wrong, but....what the hell, I like this "who's the greatest" shit. Its quite amusing when you have the teens going, "its Newsted man, FUCKING NEWSTED!!!!!"

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 28, 2003 18:40     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's not Tony on Piece of Time, tho. That's their original bass player Roger Patterson, who died in a van accident. Tony was in Cynic, but bailed out before the making of Focus (he was playing with Atheist and Pestilence and a bunch of other bands during that time anyways). But you probably already knew all that. Atheist gives me a headache, anyways. Too math-metal, and i always hated math.

Alot of bass players are very cool, tho. My favorite is obviously Les Claypool but he never did much metal (except that brief stint in Blind Illusion), so i'll have to go with Geezer Butler. He's always had a great feel and a great groove to his playing. It's not about how many notes they can pull off in 3 seconds flat, it's about carrying the song and get you in the groove, d000d.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 28, 2003 19:43     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree sort of totally Mr skul. I would like to add Steve DiGiorgio and his performance on Death's Individual Thought Patterns, there's some cool bass sounds going on I think one certain Blackster did pretty well too

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 29, 2003 02:14     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JASONIC. Where's your 'fricken' loyalty people?
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 29, 2003 08:25     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Steve DiGiorgio.
Go listen to anything by Sadus, now!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted June 29, 2003 11:00     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Geezer Butler and Les Claypool \m/right on\m/
Cliff Burton
Steve Harris
Geddy Lee
Blacky
Stuart Hamm (im sure he was metal)

i dont play bass really...

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted June 29, 2003 13:02     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The bass player that impress me the most is Dominic Lapointe of Atheretic from Montréal. He is over the top !!! A must see live. The sad thing is that we can't ear him that much on the record : Adhesion, Aversion. It's a brutal technical death metal band by the way. I always go see their gig just for him, amazing.
Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted June 29, 2003 13:54     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah that guy in Atheretic rules!
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted June 29, 2003 23:05     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really don't know who's actually the Best, but I can think of a few that might be:

GZR Butler
Blacky
Geddy Lee
Paul Raven
Jason Newsted
David Vincent
Steve DiGiorgio
Steve Harris

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted June 30, 2003 00:12     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HANDS DOWN, It's gotta be Ron Royce of CORONER. Dude can play anything...
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 30, 2003 04:42     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For technical metal excellence I'd go for Tony Choy, but if we're looking at overall genius in style and content, then it's Sir Cliff Burton. The man ruled.
Then again, seeing as Piggy supposedly taught Blacky, then that technically makes him a bass player too. So I vote Piggy!

tomsawyer
VoivodFan
Member # 306

posted June 30, 2003 08:36     Profile for tomsawyer   Email tomsawyer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. Geezer Butler
2. Roger Glover
3. Les Claypool
4. Flea (ok the band sucks but hes good)
5. Blacky

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 30, 2003 11:18     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Definitely great choices there. I'd like to add a couple of my all-time faves:

Dan Lilker - his style and sound was a crucial part of Nuclear Assault. Very aggressive yet groovy!

Jasonic - IMO he is doing a great great job on "Voivod", and I'm really looking forward to hear what he's got reserved for us in the future. He is maybe a bit underrated because he really never got a chance to show his talent in Metallica, and when he was in Flotsam he hadn't yet matured to the full as a bass player.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 30, 2003 11:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the correction Skul. I'm new to Atheist and didn't know about that. Yeah, Digorgio is killer as well. The ONLY reason to listen to Sadus IMO.
Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted June 30, 2003 21:11     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if it's been posted before... WheresTonyChoyPage...
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 30, 2003 22:35     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DAMNNNNNNN, Area 305(and I thought AudioSlave was a dumb name for a band)stole that look from old Sister Exchange promos.
Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted July 01, 2003 00:21     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's rather sad.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 01, 2003 06:53     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, it beats framing houses......
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 01, 2003 09:28     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LEMMY, the one who invented metal bass playing as we know today.
Mastermind
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 341

posted July 01, 2003 20:29     Profile for Mastermind   Email Mastermind     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL!!!

DeMaio

Of course....are you people nuts?

farside
VoivodFan
Member # 193

posted July 01, 2003 23:32     Profile for farside   Email farside     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love Voivod, and I like Newstead, but he doesn't belong on this list.

1. Geezer Butler
2. Lemmy
3. Steve Harris
4. Cliff Burton

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted July 02, 2003 01:31     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PLEASE!!! CAN WE JUST END THIS ALREADY??? Is it not so OBVIOUS to us all that in our deepest, darkest realities that the one, and only true best bassist could and only will be the offspring of Gene Simmons and Michael Anthony? I mean, C'mon....
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 02, 2003 12:59     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's definitively Sid Vicious.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 02, 2003 21:24     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Steve Harris or Geezer Butler. either one, but only one of those two.
Hen Manilla
VoivodFan
Member # 82

posted July 03, 2003 10:02     Profile for Hen Manilla   Email Hen Manilla     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That John Paul Jones guy is pretty good as well.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan