my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New respect for Jack Osbourne? (+Newsted stuff)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New respect for Jack Osbourne? (+Newsted stuff)
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 17, 2003 02:16     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ozzy pays Newsted the ultimate compliment, they may record a studio album together,
and look at the highlighted sentence!

========================

From MTV.com: (edited)

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California — Anyone who was feeling sorry for Jason Newsted after his split with Metallica can stop now.

Not only is he a full-time member of seminal thrash outfit Voivod, but he's also the new bassist for Ozzy Osbourne, replacing Robert Trujillo, who split to join Metallica. And on Monday Newsted received perhaps the greatest compliment possible from the Ozzman himself.

"Jason reminds me of a young Geezer Butler," Ozzy said shortly after playing a four-song rehearsal, his second with Newsted, for a select group of press.

Still sweaty from banging through "Believer," "No More Tears," "Crazy Train" and the seminal (and once again timely) Black Sabbath tune "War Pigs," Newsted was visibly beaming as Ozzy compared him to Sabbath's legendary bassist.

"There could not be a bigger compliment. [If someone said], 'Here's a million dollars' [or] 'Here's this compliment,' I'll take this! That's it. [Butler] is my #1 teacher in life. And only he," Newsted said, a wide smile stretching across his face as he pointed to his new frontman, "gets the right to say that. He's the only one!"

Jack Osbourne recommended Voivod for the second stage at Ozzfest, Ozzy explained, and a light bulb went off in Sharon Osbourne's head (see "Metal Musical Chairs: Ozzy May Hire Ex-Metallica Bassist".

Together with ex-Faith No More drummer Mike Bordin, who's been with Ozzy for eight years, and guitarist Zakk Wylde, Newsted said he honed his back catalog arsenal before Ozzy ever stepped in front of the mic. "I really wanted to be prepared for Oz, so when he walked in the room he could call out whatever song and I would be able to hit it."

What he didn’t realize was that on his first day with Ozzy he'd be under the watchful eye of his predecessor, who was on hand to rehearse for his final gig with the band. Before the day was over, Newsted found himself giving Trujillo tips on Metallica songs like "Battery" and "Damage, Inc."

Newsted — whose relationship with Trujillo stretches back a decade to when Suicidal Tendencies were friends and touring partners with Metallica — called Ozzy's outgoing bassist warmhearted and strong.

"I'm the happiest man in the world today," Ozzy proclaimed. "I'm a strong believer that it was destiny that I end up playing with Jason. I don't believe in tarot cards or crystal balls, but I believe that somebody, before you're born, maps out your life. And it was destiny that Metallica end up playing with Robert Trujillo. I'm not pissed off with anybody. ... It's so nice to end a relationship nicely for a change."

When Ozzy mentioned that he couldn't wait to make an album with Newsted, the bassist's eyes widened and he grabbed the metal legend by both shoulders.

"Dude, if he's telling me the truth right now, if he really wants to write ... songs, it's going to be f---ing crazy! I'm telling you right now, it's gonna be out of this world. If I get an opportunity to write bass behind his vocals? Working with Zakk? It's just going to be sick, man, that's all I can say."

For now, Newsted will join Ozzy on this summer's Ozzfest outing as well as several Canadian dates. He'll also perform with Voivod, who will play "something from each album," according to Newsted, while supporting Ozzy in Canada and co-headlining the Ozzfest's second stage.

"This is a huge opportunity for both [Metallica and Ozzy] to prove themselves again," Newsted said. "It can be a cool thing for the next era of both of the biggest metal bands America has seen. ... It's going to be an incredible summer."

—Ryan J. Downey

=========================

(I realize this is a couple of months old, but I had not heard this before;
apologies to those who have)

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 17, 2003 04:41     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah...but he's still a cock.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 17, 2003 11:36     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
New respect for Jack Osbourne? He must be back on drugs again! Newstud playing with Ozzy (soon?)? Maybe there still is a chance for Blacky yet! One can only hope...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 17, 2003 12:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think what Newsted is doing is GREAT. Anyone would kill for the oppotunities that he has been given, and he's deserved them all.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 17, 2003 15:09     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aye, Jasonic is fucking cool and a model of old school intergrity (?).

But jack osbourne is still a cock. Bear in mind he's also told his dad to put some ghastly ghastly bands on, and for his part in furthing the anti-cause of Nu-metal he should have his bollocks shaved.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 17, 2003 15:58     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Indeed. *nods sagely*
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 17, 2003 22:03     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I'll tell ya what:
don't expect me to go out of my way to defend the little moron...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan