my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » T-shirt at the show

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: T-shirt at the show
Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted June 13, 2003 12:29     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tomorrow I'm going to see the best band in the world. I read that the T-shirts are like 48$.
My question is:
How much do you think is actually going to
Voivod ?
I think 48$ is way to much, but if a big part of that money goes to voivod, I will buy one for sure !
Anyone knows more about that ???

Is there anybody going to Montreal show ?
I'll wear my red long sleeve voivod live shirt so, if you see me , say hello !

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 13, 2003 13:35     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Considering the Tshirts only cost between 2-5 Dollars each to produce (in bulk)....

Yes...$48.00 is WAY overboard.
The price of Tickets is WAY overboard too.
Plus, it will probably cost you $5.00 for a bottle of Water!

Personally...i refuse to pay that much to see anyone.
(Especially since i have heard Voivod dropped 'The Multiverse' from the setlist also.)

If Voivod want to make money...i keep saying it...

PUT SOME DAMN MERCHANDISE ON THE WEBSITE!!!
Its not Rocket Science...how hard could it be?

Hope you enjoy the show.
Give us a full report.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 13, 2003 13:49     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My guess is that the venue probably takes about 30-35% of all merchandise, as the headliner Ozzy would probably take a cut of the merch as well. The band could make about $10-15 per shirt (about 35% of the price) but if the band made a deal with the Chophouse before they recorded and got an advance it could be that their percentage is even smaller with the Chophouse taking a cut of all the merchandise profits as well. If the shirts weren't manufactured in Canada there is also the issue of paying duty when you bring merchandise across the border.

The band could probably make more money if they went out and bought a bunch of Haynes Beefy Ts and signed them with magic markers and sold them out of the back of the bus. The shirts are pretty cool though.

Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted June 13, 2003 14:04     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank for your advice guys.
I'm dissapointed too about the multiverse.
Also it's my girl friend favorite tune, and she's coming with me...
I'll do a review on monday, since I can only access the internet from work...
For the shirt I think I'll pass...
I'll keep my money for some flying cigars

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 13, 2003 14:07     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well as soon as the band starts taking King Kula seriously I'm sure the shirts will be available over the internet. hahahaaaa
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 13, 2003 14:56     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm just pretty disgusted with the band right now.
They say things that never happen...all the time.
Meanwhile...all these opportunities are passing them by.

The DVD, the Artbook, Tshirts, Caps, Rubber Duckies, Bongs, etc.

I know...it takes money to do all this and there are other things involved
that are out of the scope of my knowledge, but GET OFF YER ASSES, Voivod!
lol! (i know...i'm whining here, but damn!)

I swear they need me as a Band Advisor or something.

"No Jason, you cannot drop 'The Multiverse' from the setlist...no, Piggy...its too early to smoke that Joint...
no, Away, you cannot wear that Tshirt again untill you wash it..."

I can carry around a Criquet Bat to back up what i say too. lol! (damn i cant spell)

Ok....back to my Beer.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 13, 2003 20:44     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
48$?!?!?! you have got to be shitting me.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 13, 2003 21:04     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But that's a mere $36 in U.S. dollars.
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 14, 2003 05:03     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shirts at UK gigs are generally £18-20 (US $25-$28), so for once we aren't being 'ripped off'! But I do think that tour shirts are way overpriced and the bands get little out of it unless they are big enough to have control over it.
Psilobot
VoivodFan
Member # 330

posted June 14, 2003 07:09     Profile for Psilobot   Email Psilobot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As one of you pointed out, making shirts is pretty cheap as long as you make enough of them. The problem is, that as long as people are buying them at hilariously high prices, the bands/merch companies will keep on selling them at even higher prices.
One thing to keep in mind is that very often support bands are forced to sell their shirts at the same price the headlining band does so people won't buy the cheaper ones. In addition, some venues ask around 25% of sales. That definitely is the business side of music and I HATE IT! I'd never spend more than 10-15 bucks on a shirt. It's no surprise bootleggers are selling shirts at 7-10 bucks outside the venues and people are buying them. If bands want them stopped they should simply sell their stuff cheaper! I realize that bands have to make some profit to cover their expenses or even make a living and there's nothing wrong with that, but I said "some profit" and selling a shirt at a price that equals the average annual income of some eastern European countries' workers is... well... a little more than "some profit".
The same goes for ticket prices!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 14, 2003 15:46     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have not paid more than 10 dollars for a shirt this year.......and most of them have only been 5$.....jeez....
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 14, 2003 19:52     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I went to see Anthrax last Wednesday, and they were selling tour tees for a whopping 30 euros - I'm not that fanatic. Tickets were priced at a reasonable 25e which included a rather good Finnish warm-up band too. Anthrax were great, they played at least one song off every record including Bring the Noise, Madhouse and a song from the awful Fistful of Metal, can't remember which one it was, so I guess I got good value for my money. Shame about the merch prices.

Mind you, I'm starving for some live Voivod here so I guess I'd spend billions of euros without blinking an eye should they get lost and end up playing in Finland!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 14, 2003 20:20     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember seeing Mastadon a year ago at the Echo in ATL. Got in for 7 bucks and merch was SUPER fucking reasonable. Lifesblood was going for like 5 and the shirts were way cheaper than what you guys are talking about. Not to mention the fact that for seven bucks, that band ROCKED harder than anything other band out now. Oh, and guess who was headlining? Just a little band called High On Fire. Yeah, I know, it sucked.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 14, 2003 20:51     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The last show I was at (SYL) had CDs (only the newest one) for $20.00 and t-shirts were $30.00. I was tempted, but my desire for beer got the better of me...
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 16, 2003 05:21     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I work for a music merch company, and the problem is that bands usually just sell the rights to thier artwork to these companies and then have no control or idea what kind of quality or value for money thier fans are getting. In some ways I can see why they do this, as there's plenty of other important shit to concentrate on while touring (like RIFFS!) but there are some bands who keep an eye on it, but they are few and far between.
I have no idea what Voivod's deal is like, so I can't talk for them, but most bands don't even know what's going on, just that they're getting a cut at the end of it. It sucks. And they pay me shit. But then again, all I do is visit this site all day.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 16, 2003 07:16     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
most bands don't even know what's going on, just that they're getting a cut at the end of it.

Yep. That would probably be Voivod.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 16, 2003 08:51     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
I swear they need me as a Band Advisor or something.

"no, Away, you cannot wear that Tshirt again untill you wash it..."

Hey, Away said in the Voir Québec interview that they spent a week in Montréal to do their laundry!

He heard ya King Kula!

Here's the link: http://www.voir.ca/musique/musique.aspx?iIDArticle=26553 (thanx Nia)

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan