my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Melt Banana (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Melt Banana
Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 07, 2003 16:16     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey Mez, THIS is who were going to see next month in Atlanta. maybe i can find some mp3s online for you later...
 |  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 07, 2003 16:58     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this guy has some mp3s and links here . altho dont listen if youve never heard them, hehe.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 07, 2003 17:00     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, Sean could I bring a special guest with me? She's a fellow georgian. But we'll have to haul her cage in through the back door.

Man, that asian chick is hot. If she goes up to the bar after the show you know what I'm gonna have to do........

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 07, 2003 18:08     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Melt Banana is fuckin' cool.

They are not for everyone, but they bring a pretty technical and imaginative
approach to their 'weird-core' music.

From what I have heard, their new CD, 'Cell-Scape' is the best yet.
(I am listening now... think Shonen Knife cross-bred with King Crimson, Locust and Nomeansno)

BTW, this band opened for Mr. Bungle a few years back, and were very well-recieved.

Oh yeah, and another website:
http://www.parkcity.ne.jp/~mltbanan/

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted June 08, 2003 13:48     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah Melt-Banana is very cool indeed.
I've been a fan since '97 or so now.
I'm planning on seeing them on the 16th here in Seattle. I just read this funny-assed description of MB:

Okay...imagine this...you work in a great record store that has 5 CD players running all the time. You put a cd of Fantomas, Ruins, some toy sound effects, some Boredoms, and a track of nothing but static and listen to it all at the same time...CHAOTIC, right?

Okay, also at this killer store, is this super sexy coworker you've been eyeing up for awhile. One day she finally makes the move, rips your shirt off, and begins going at you like a wild animal. You love your job.

Suddenly your girlfriend drops in and witnesses this torrid little fiasco. She freaks out. And did I mention your girlfriend is Japanese? And a ninja? And she drinks espresso for a living? She explodes!! Within two minutes, the entire store is laid to waste,...she stops to scream at you for a second...then she takes every CD off the rack and throws them against the wall...at lightning speed...then stops to yell at you again for a couple seconds. Then she punches you in the mouth. you are just stunned...but think it's kinda funny...pissed off Japanese ninja girlfriends are great to watch.

....That's the first song. The next one's a little different.

The first time I saw Melt Banana was in '97 with Mr. Bungle. I was completely fucked on mushrooms and out comes this Japanese band with this crazy chick singer who just RULED cause you can't understand a word she's saying at a super-high pitch....and the band actually jumps like 5 feet in the air..I think they ARE ninjas.

Melt Banana makes more noise than you can stand...and I love them for that.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 08, 2003 14:11     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, ive been a half-ass fan for a couple of years (mostly d/l'ed mp3s) but that website Tangento linked to was great, thanks man! if that video ob there was for one of the new songs, theyve got a little more focused and it sounds great...altho i love the unfocused shit, too. this is gonna rule. ill report back about how Mez strikes out with their singer
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 08, 2003 18:20     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was a great description St. Mike. Sure as hell hope the VVF bus(that's me driving and Cthon in the back drinking)will make this show. Being a huge fan of Fantomas and now Naked City(Thank you General XD)I'm really looking forward to this show.

Give me a case of rolling rock and let's see what happens Cthon with the Ninja babe......

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 08, 2003 21:28     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by St. Michael:
You put a cd of Fantomas, Ruins, some toy sound effects, some Boredoms, and a track of nothing but static and listen to it all at the same time...CHAOTIC, right?

Wow, how did I miss out on MB??? I really dig the Boredoms too. Thanks for posting those links everyone.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 09, 2003 10:52     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That female bass-player looks like a kind of She-Blacky! She's a killer!
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted June 09, 2003 12:05     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've seen 'em.

They played at 'All tommorrow's parties', an
amazazing festival - always. Well worth the effort to get there.

Also there was 'Zeni Geva', another cool Jap metal band.
Anyhoo,
We were watching 'Low', I'm sure, and I was conscious of a cute Japanese girl stood on the chair next to me. Mainly because even perched on a chair she didn't meet my eyeline. Her friend approached and asked to borrow my lighter, we chatted about Low for a bit before they wandered off into the crowd.

I've got a fair bit of Melt Banana stuff but didn't recognise who I'd been talking to until they came on stage later.

Fucking brilliant, would sum it up.

Technically they're nothing short of astonishing. The bassist might be tiny and almost entirely hidden behind her instrument but she thrashes and like a mad thing.
The smoker was the guitarist.
Any guitarist here must check out this guy - he barely made the same noise twice. Really imaginative playing.
To be honest though, they're one of the few bands I've seen that you don't know where to look without feeling like you might be missing something.

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted June 11, 2003 22:35     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah man, the guitarist 'Agata' is something else indeed. Here is a guy who follows no trends. He is in his own universe. Who could make so much fucked up mayhem & noise and do it just like he did before...note for note live. Yeah, he is the man. Sounds like nothing I have heard before. I dig it.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 11, 2003 23:12     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll remember to bring a lighter to the show.....
Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 11, 2003 23:13     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i bought the new one today, ive listened to it 4 times already....sick, totally sick.....this show is gonna be an ass of fun....
Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 11, 2003 23:17     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im assuming you all know that Dave Witte is playing drums on this tour.....oh man...
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted June 12, 2003 04:48     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dave Witte...

Who he?

PS: Those links seem to be down.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 12, 2003 18:35     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dave Witte is the drummer for Burnt by The Sun and Discordance Axis, among others that i cant recall right now. but hes a technical bad-ass, the new melt-banana album is all drum samples i heard....and hes recreating it on stage, awesome....
St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted June 12, 2003 21:46     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man, it will be weird to see them without 'Oshima' on drums... Well Monday night I'll see how it goes. Can't wait.

-St. Michael

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 12, 2003 22:11     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, nice to see you post again, St.Mike.... i thought you had dropped off the face of the earth or got lost in the Pandemonium or whatever. hehe. Nice to have you back, bro.
St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted June 13, 2003 00:14     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
heheheh... I'm always here.
...or at least I try to be as much as I can.

Good to see you bro!

St.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 06, 2003 17:38     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, they fucking RUINED Atlanta last night. relentlessly rad. im covered in bruises from a most br00tal pit, also. and if anyone sees the DVD they filmed of last nights show, ill be the guy in the front row with the "Pussy Rules" shirt. word.
neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted July 06, 2003 19:36     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Melt Banana syndrome continues....They played here in Houston back on June 28th and totally killed!!! I had to get the new CD(now one of my favorites-heard it 4 times).I'm also doing a review of it for a local newsweekly.They're not like any other band that's out! Is anyone out there recording shows from the current tour? Let me know so we can trade Melt Banana gigs.I have about 6-8 local Houston shows...serious inquiries only!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 07, 2003 19:23     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
well, they fucking RUINED Atlanta last night. relentlessly rad. im covered in bruises from a most br00tal pit, also. and if anyone sees the DVD they filmed of last nights show, ill be the guy in the front row with the "Pussy Rules" shirt. word.

Is this what you call a show review bitch? I'd kind of like to know what happened seeing as how my ass was passed out in the car at the time. Fucking guiness!!!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 07, 2003 19:38     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You passed out in the car??? I don't want to call you a loser. I mean I don't want to call you a loser...
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 07, 2003 21:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahahahah.....yeah. Thanks for reminding me.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 08, 2003 20:40     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear Nia,
I bought you a M~B shirt. As soon as i can get it past Ass-Croft's goons at the post office on saturday, it'll be in the mail. NEVER call me a "fucker" on the phone again, please.
Love,
Cthon.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan