my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod concert

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voivod concert
space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted June 07, 2003 03:02     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A windy and overcast day didn't stop a good metal show from tearing its way through Edmonton tonight.

Voivod should have played second on the bill instead of first. They started at 7:30 and played for about 35 minutes. Their setlist was : intro (California Dreams), Voivod, Rebel Robot, Gasmask Revival(sounded eerily slower than album version), Tribal Convictions, Blame Us (YEAH!! i wasn't sure if they'd play this one but i'm glad they did) and Astronomy Domine.

Snake took the crowd through some 'air violin', Piggy's laser gun made an appearance on Astronomy. fans of the band gotta hear Jasonic's throaty background vocals (growls) that helped add more intensity to some already brutal songs. "Voivoddd!!" sounded killer! Astronomy Domine still seems to be their most recognized song after all these years and got the best crowd response of the night. Snake further helped respose on that one by taking pictures of the crowd. I wish they played 2nd on the bill when more people were there and the set length could have been longer.

T-shirts were a hefty fine of $48!! I bought one anyways (black with grey logo of decal on their amps). The other design was black with red cover logo. I wanted to buy the blue shirt with white decal i saw from the Sepultura tour but they didn't have it. wtf!

I'm not a huge fan of OZZY but he put on a good show. For how old he is he still had alot of energy on stage and was belting out vocals like the madman he is. Black Sabbath tunes like The Wizard, Sweat Leaf, Iron Man, NIB (some kids ran on stage for this one and got chased off but Ozzy fought off security and kept one kid onstage for the rest of the song. COOL!) and Paranoid to close the night sounded heavy, energetic and rocking.

Everybody waiting to check out this Canadian tour should leave happy. Voivod setlist is TOO SHORT but other than that its a pretty damn good show!

|  IP: Logged
RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted June 08, 2003 17:57     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was indeed a great show! Way to short for such a mighty band to play. I didn't care too much for the slowed down Gasmask Revival at all but they sure hit the nail on the head with the ohters. Astronomy Domine sounded better than ever for such an overplayed song.The crowd ate that one too!Too bad that was it!

Less than 1/8 of the 16 thousand in the stadium where in attendance for Voivod which was too bad, so who knows how many new fans they'll get with this new Canadian Tour.The sound was on a sub system so it was really weak and made very apparent when Finger 11 followed with great separation and clarity.

A sweet treat was the next day I went to score some used discs and the first thing I see upon entering the store was a big FAT DADDY pic of VOIVOD on the front cover of the local entertainment newspaper!That pic is all Over Edmonton! SWEET!

-Oh yeah,,I don't know if this is Ozzy's sense of humour but he introduced the drummer as Bill Ward! Then came up with his real name.Woops! Judging by the way Zack Wylde went up to the drummer laughing, I don't think it was! Yeah Ozzy!

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted June 08, 2003 23:47     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't believe that the Voïvod set was that short! They're Canada's premier metal band...WTF!!!

How was like seeing Jasonic on stage twice the same night?? I wonder how his performance in the Ozzy set was.

Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted June 09, 2003 06:55     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blame us instead of We're not alone, cool...
I love this song !!!!!!!
Can't wait till saturday....

Highpriestess
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 328

posted June 09, 2003 18:44     Profile for Highpriestess   Email Highpriestess     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, i was at that concert. It was the best show i've ever seen, and i've been to a lot of fucking concerts. The ticket was $300.00, but to see Voivod; i would have gladly paid more. I met all the guys in the band, got pictures and aughtographs. They're by far the coolest guys in the world! I met Zakk Wylde and got pic's and he signed my stuff too. I was dissapointed that Voivod didn't play longer but i loved every second of the show. Voivod rule! And i can not wait 'till they come back to rip shit up in Edmonton.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 10, 2003 07:43     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard, Highpriestess!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan