my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Favourite Riff Ever

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favourite Riff Ever
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 05, 2003 12:36     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why not eh? C'mon. Favourite riff of all time.

I have two... there's *that* riff just after the intro of Raining Blood. The double-kick triplet bit.

And there's *the other* riff, also in Raining Blood. The chugchugchugchug DA NA NAAA chug chug chug DA NA NEE NAAA *kick drums* DANANANANANANANA DAH! DAH! one.

MAN I love that. Your turn. Riffs that make you feel all gooey!

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 05, 2003 12:48     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Zero' - Smashing Pumpkins

'Working Man' - Rush

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted June 05, 2003 13:01     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Criminally Insane by Slayer the riff in the middle of the song with the slow drum beat always do it for me.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 05, 2003 13:10     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Simple but effective: Welcome to hell by Venom...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 05, 2003 13:13     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THE LOST MACHINE!! I mean, why does it sound that way, what is it, where, who, when, what is the meaning of life, WTF, etc... This riff comes from outer space. I don't understand it and I love it.
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 05, 2003 13:53     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted June 05, 2003 14:06     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Riff(s)

Coroner-Serpent Moves

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted June 05, 2003 14:15     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Slayer - Angel of Death

The ultimate riff!!! At 1:38 from the begining...

This is the mother of all riffs

And I second warcorpse with March Of The S.O.D.

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted June 05, 2003 14:19     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and here's a french band that has insane riffs:

Hertz and Silence...

Go download "Parasite", crank up the volume and be blown away

Hertz and Silence - Parasite

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 05, 2003 14:27     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Slayer - Angel of Death
The ultimate riff!!! At 1:38 from the begining...

Uh, how could i forget. You're extremely right about that one Ynys T

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 05, 2003 17:46     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Angel Of Death riff you guys are talking about. Also March of the S.O.D. (sounds even better on the live album, BTW).
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 05, 2003 17:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IRON MAN
SMOKE ON THE WATER

That's impossible to answer.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted June 05, 2003 18:15     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Prong - Face Value
Anthrax - Imitation of Life
Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 05, 2003 18:17     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna go out on a limb here:

Ravenous fucking Medicine

...has got to be in my all time top 3, as is Sabbath's 'Symptom' and
the first portion of Napalm Death's 'Next of Kin to Chaos'.

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted June 06, 2003 01:58     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't pick just one. Every bloody riff played by Tony Iommi from 1970-75 is fabulous!!! IMO, this guy is the best riff-maker ever!

One can't wrong with guitar riffs such as "Sympthon of the Universe", "Sweet Leaf", "Paranoid", "Sabbra Cadabra", "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath", "Into the Void", "Hole in the Sky", and the list goes on and on.

And let's make some justice to Piggy: the new 'Vod album is a collection of killer riffs too!! What about "Gasmask Revival", "Facing Up" and "We Carry On"?? The more I listen to this record, the more I get into it...

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 06, 2003 03:30     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One Step Too Far - The Beyond
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 06, 2003 04:41     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grab the vinyl version of Dimension Hatross, randomly drop the needle on it anywhere, and whatever you hear is one of my all time favourites. Riffmaster Piggy!
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 06, 2003 05:26     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Grab the vinyl version of Dimension Hatross, randomly drop the needle on it anywhere, and whatever you hear is one of my all time favourites. Riffmaster Piggy!

LOL h, I couldn't have said it better!

there's that particlar riff in Psychic Vacuum (verse) that's been haunting me ever since I heard it - heck, like 15 yrs ago! and I still can't figure it out...

the riff in Nuclear War, kinda basic but it works... and that 2nd Raining Blood riff that Lycanthropy mentionned.

ah, and the riff from Phantom of the Opera... - the origins of speed?

KC-04
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 329

posted June 13, 2003 14:48     Profile for KC-04   Email KC-04     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Master of puppets the spider riff.
the raining blood riff.
the divine intervition riff before the clean guitars.
cowboys from hell.
but my all time favorite
IRON MAN

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 13, 2003 15:02     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello and welcome aboard KC!

What does KC stands for? King Crimson or KC and the Sunshine Band?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 14, 2003 14:09     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My top riff is about halfway through Beck's Novacane....that one always crushes me. Its a mixture of instruments all synthesized to shoot directly into your soul and burst into one brilliant display of colors.........

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan