my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Bilinguilism...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bilinguilism...
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 30, 2003 23:53     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi folks, I thought I would start this thread about how alot of you people are obviously quite well versed in languages other than your native "tongue". What O wonder about is your experiences in trying to understand (Read, write, speak, etc.) another language and what type of tips you can say to others in regards to how to more effectively do so. I must admit right now that I, for the most part, am largely ignorant of most languges out there. Of the various so-called European languages, I must admit that for the most part am quite ignorant of all of them except for english which I am fairly knowledgable of or, at least, I think I am. Sure, I'll be the first to admit that when it comes down to it, I doubt if anyone out there has a complete and comprehensive understanding of the various nuances of ones own mother tongue (I hope that Noitall isn't reading this - I said "mother") - I'm referring to grammar, spelling, etc. here. Oh, oh, I think that i am starting to lose my train of thought! WHERE THE HELL IS THAT GODDAMNED BEER!?! Beleive it or not but I do understand a little bit of the other european languages such as french, spanish, dutch, german... Of them all, I seem to understand german more so than the ohers mainly because english and german are more related to each other than the so-called castillian languages such as french and spanish which have alot more in common with each other than they do with english. At least I think so. So where the heck am I going to from here!?! Where's my beer again? Oh yes, can anyone give me some interesting tips in regards to better understanding french and spansish or any other language for that matter? A good friend of mine who happens to know at least 7 different languages once said to me that quite often that it is only a matter of the pitch of ones voice which gives meaning to various words (We're talking chinese here I think!) but... Please just post anything about your efforts to understand a foreign language and some insghts which you have learned. Perhaps you have found out something which is profound or crazy or funny or stupid or... Also, as you probably have noticed in regards to what I have just typed, my spelling and grammar and who knows wjhat else is pathetic. how does the fact that no one is perfect especially in regards to speaking and writing their own language has hekped and/or hindered you in your progress. As an english teacher once said to me many years ago in regards to the so-called writing process, all first drafts are rough draft. Only after careful revision (2-many times) does one create a more better work. This brings up antoher crazy peeve of mine in regards to popular culture entertainment due to the fact that if all of our t.v. and radio shows are presented in a refined draft form (Scripts...), how natural can this be? I don't know about you but I definatly think and speak in a rough draft form!!! What do I mean? Where the hell is my beer!?!
 |  IP: Logged
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 31, 2003 00:04     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gosh, after I drink more than 7 or 8 beers, I type as bad as I shpeak!!!
Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted May 31, 2003 00:59     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmm, well, I don't reallyunderstand what you want to know. I was taught English in school, but read a lot of books, too. It helps a lot, at least in the understanding part. I understand nearly everything, but can't use the language myself very well. Practicing is the key, I would say.
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted May 31, 2003 04:32     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dutch of course, and apart from that english, french and german. And I understand some italian too.

Most people get 3 extra languages in school so that's an advantage already.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 31, 2003 10:31     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Few portuguese tips:

CERVEJA = BEER
CADÊ A MALDITA CERVEJA??? = WHERE'S THE GODDAMN BEER???
MINHA CERVEJA ACABOU!!! = I'M OUT OF BEER!!!
ESTOU BÊBADO = I'M DRUNK

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted May 31, 2003 12:15     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My parents are both french Canadian (oops.. Quebecquers). My dad`s mother was half British & half French Canadian. I went to french school all my life, but mostly hung around english people... go figure. What am I? I'm French CANADIAN and I'm proud to be my family's black sheep.

I do understand some Spanish & Italian when it's spoken clearly, and I know pretty much all of the swear words in Polish

VF

VoivodFan
Member # 319

posted May 31, 2003 12:49     Profile for 666   Email 666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The British are of mixed race anyway.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 01, 2003 04:46     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Umm, uhh, what happens if I want to learn a different language when I'm like 36 years old? Is there any hope!?! Should I just say, "Fuck it!" and go back to my beer drinking? Heck, my beer logic got me this far in life, I suppose it can get me the rest of the way... I guess that all I really need to know is some hand signals which any one can understand and/or interpret. When I start holding my one hand close to my mouth and make interesting "mmming" and slurping noises and use my other hand to rub my chest, I'm sure most cultures will understand this as meaning I need another beer. If I can communicate this to people from other cultures, what more do I really need to know? Yup, I think the the universal beer drinking language is the only one I really need to know!
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted June 01, 2003 06:03     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember hearing somewhere that communication is 20% of what you say and 80% tone of voice. I personally think body language is better understood than trying to understand what a poor foreigner is trying to convey. And don't you love it when some people are saying shit about you in another language because they think you can't understand, and you turn around and say something back (chinga te!) in that language? Priceless!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 01, 2003 13:46     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I find that the more you learn of a language the more you find out you don't know in terms of culture. You can become proficient at conversing but then try and play a game like Trivial Pursuit in another language. That kind of thing is brutal because each education system tends to focus on literature, etc., of the main language being taught and you can really feel the cultural divide. Science and logic is international so it's easier to integrate those kind of aspects into your thoughts/speech.

Basically Indio, if you want to learn another language just for fun, having someone to talk to on a daily basis makes a big difference and it's much more interesting than what you learn in school. And drinking beer while practising is a good way to get over the fear of making a fool of yourself since you're already a drunken fool so what have you got to lose?

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted June 01, 2003 14:08     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Noitall:
[QB]I find that the more you learn of a language the more you find out you don't know in terms of culture. You can become proficient at conversing but then try and play a game like Trivial Pursuit in another language. That kind of thing is brutal because each education system tends to focus on literature, etc., of the main language being taught and you can really feel the cultural divide. Science and logic is international so it's easier to integrate those kind of aspects into your speech.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I've never thought about that before. I took a year of German in college. This thread makes me want to break out the old textbook. Just for the record, here's some Southern terminology:
hind catcher: a catcher in baseball
ink pen: a writing utensil
dip: Skoal, Copenhagen
grits n' toast: my breakfast most every day

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 01, 2003 18:17     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For some reason I have this distinct feeling that Noitall has just slighted me...
Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 01, 2003 19:02     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
living in Texas plus 3 years of spanish classes make me slightly less than formidable when conversing w/ my hispanic brothers, but able to find bathrooms and beer easily in mexico. isnt that what its all about?
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 01, 2003 19:07     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wasn't trying to do that Indio, lol. I just meant that speaking another language can be intimidating, at least I find it to be so, so a beer or two helps one over the hurdle of self-consciousness. Plus I know I lose about a thousand points on the witty banter scale when I don't speak in English because when I try to tell jokes people look at me like I'm slightly retarded. This ceases to be something I care about when drunk. hahahaaa
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted June 01, 2003 22:33     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, I know like 3 Languages German, Chinese, and English.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 02, 2003 08:51     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's funny, people look at me as being slightly retarded even when I speak my own language!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 02, 2003 08:57     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Medias are a good way to learn another language, weither it's TV, radio or music. I learned english when I was a kid by watching cartoons in english. When you hear another language on a regular basis, it really helps. Records and lyrics sheets are a good way too.

As for the cultural differences, I agree with Nia. Just look at Canada: two languages, two different cultures. And it doesn't mean that those two cultures can't get along!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 02, 2003 10:00     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldoror:
Records and lyrics sheets are a good way too.

fully agreed! I have learnt quite as much from Maiden/Metallica/Slayer/... lyrics sheets as in all english courses at school... reading along the music and finding the meaning of each and every unknown word was of really great help.
that was not really possible with german though...

Indio, I suggest that you find out some of finest french music out there and do the same... I'll suggest anything by TRUST, VULCAIN, ADX and MISANTHROPE.

any Jean-Jacques Goldman or Celine Dion would do too...

...or the *legendary* Star Academy, I'm sure their lyrics are waaaaay deeper and interesting (j/k)...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 02, 2003 10:22     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, nia hit the target, which is not unusual at all. For me, this very Forum has been very helpful. Reading to you guys posting here is just like going to school.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 02, 2003 14:23     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right Slaytanic! And judging by the "other language than english" threads, it's becoming a nice Tower of Babble.. uh, I mean Babel.

And let's not forget the strange language of the drunk people, right Mezcalhead?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 02, 2003 14:27     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh and here's what I've found in a dictionary:

babble : Circuit noise due to the aggregate crosstalk from a number of disturbing sources.
Undesired and unintelligible signals inadvertently imposed on a desired audio signal.
The aggregate crosstalk from a number of disturbing sources.

He he, I like the term "disturbing sources".

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 02, 2003 19:18     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, this is just like what happened when I was seriously studying how to play the guitar: the more I practiced, the worse I became! Maybe I should join a punk band, eh?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan