my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » St Anger Video (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: St Anger Video
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted May 29, 2003 07:53       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just saw the video on MTV.It's also posted on Blabbermouth.net for anyone who wants to see it.
I'm interested in hearing what people think of the song & the video.
I have a problem with it being filmed in San Quentin or any prison.Most of the people in there have done something seriously wrong and are being punished.They don't deserve a free concert.They already get free room,board,education,cable,computer,etc.
As for the St.Anger song i really don't care for it.The chorus is cool but the song overall is terrible and sounds nothing like metallica.I think i'll pass on this cd.

IP: Logged
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted May 29, 2003 07:56     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I second that .
 |  IP: Logged
tomsawyer
VoivodFan
Member # 306

posted May 29, 2003 08:34     Profile for tomsawyer   Email tomsawyer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
R.I.P.

METALLICA

1984-1989

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 29, 2003 09:23     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't cared about Metallica since 1989, I guess. Once I heard 'Sandman' and thought, "nahhh", it was pretty much over for me. No angry feelings like 'they sold out!' or 'fuck them, they suck!'; I just moved on and listened to new stuff. I have to admit that I was kinda hoping the new album would be good, since I'd like to hear the Metallica I knew and loved back in the day.

Having said that, I can't stand this song. It almost seems like 'forced aggression'. The drum sound is without question the worst I've heard - it's like Lars is banging on tin cans. The snare is way too present. The guitars are buried - it's difficult to pick out the notes in the 'melody'. There's an odd keyboard sound lurking behind the chorus that sounds pretty shitty. Hetfield's vocals are just odd. Way out of place. Too up front.

To me, it seems like they heard the voices of disgruntled fans complaining that they weren't 'metal' enough anymore, so they had a band meeting and said 'let's make this one really heavy and aggro and a return to our roots' - but then they forgot to include the riffs, the lyrics, the vocals, the guitar breaks, the multi-dimensionality, and instead made it 'modern' by incorporating some of the latest gimmicks like samples and de-tuned muddy guitars.

I'd actually rather listen to 'Memory Remains' or 'Fuel' anyday over this.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 29, 2003 09:47     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My hatred for Metallica is legendary.

However, I thought that new tune wasnt that bad! The video is obviously an edit, cuz i heard the song on the radio last night and it was around 7 minutes, as opposed to 4.

Anyways, the vocals still suck, and the production is muddy as hell (arent they supposed to be huge rock stars? Who fucking records a snare drum like that?) but i'm not as horrified or disgusted about their new stuff as i thought i would be. Is that a good thing? I dunno. hehe.

I agree about the "forced aggression" deal. It's kinda ironic that Jason had to leave for them to go "aggro", which is probably what he wanted all along.

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted May 29, 2003 10:08     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard the beginning of the song (the 7 minute version) and about halfway through the download I stopped it...

I don't hate them but I don't like 'em either... The song just bored me. I won't be buying this cd anytime soon.

VF

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted May 29, 2003 10:51     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kane, how can you say that?

The snare is killer! Its tuned a bit differently, but it sounds fucking tight.

I think Metallica deserve some credit for making real Thrash metal.

They seem to be showing some Slayer and Testament influences there.

Perhaps its just for the single, but the bass playing seems non-existent.

If its not too much money, I'll buy it.

I haven't bought a Metallica album since the
'black' one which I proudly destroyed. (Grr)

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 29, 2003 12:00     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The production sounds like shit, the song itself seems to suck ass! I will definitly NOT buy this record, but am curious to hear the whole thing anyway.

My already overwhelming hatred for producer Bob Rock has just increased ten-fold! What an idiot on all fronts! The bass sounds 'average' at best (they should have let Trujillo re-record the bass tracks), and his production job sounds worse than most local band demos I've heard! If they were going for a garage style recording they should have hired Steve Albini or Jack Endino... This single/title track is a joke!

And we were complaining about the vocals being too up-front on Voivod's latest! Imagine how McTallica fans feel! LOL!

The video istelf... well, Lars' facial expressions are good for a laugh.

I'm no Met-hater, but I have to say my honest opinion of this band is that they do indeed suck, and have sucked since the end of the 80s. File under "has-been". Next...

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted May 29, 2003 12:50     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Am i the only one or somebody too noticed a '' SystemOfADown-ish '' attitude in the video and the song ? Posers ...
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 29, 2003 13:45     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As you say, it's forced 'aggro', which sounds about as agressive as a WI meeting. Terrible, unspeakably bad production, can't sing, or write a coherent song, or even a riff anymore...

And, like everything they've released post 'Justice', it's just plain boring, no excitement, nothing memorable...

I've said it all before many times. I'll probably buy it (just to see if it *really is* that bad), I'm all out of coffee coasters.

Kerrang! loved it, of course.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 29, 2003 14:10     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yadda yadda yadda...

From Blabbermouth:

METALLICA's 'St. Anger' To Ship 'Well Over' A Million Copies - May 29, 2003

METALLICA's "St. Anger" will ship "well over" a million units ahead of its June 10 street date, according to Elektra Entertainment Group Exec. VP/GM Greg Thompson. "This release is a true event, and shows a tremendous amount of evolution and drama," he said in an official statement. "Those lucky enough to have heard it are blown away. It adds up to an exciting time for the quintessential rock band in the world to return to the marketplace with an epic record…I mean an Elektra record."

Elektra Chairman/CEO Sylvia Rhone added: "The members of METALLICA, individually and collectively, rank with the best musicians in the business. After 11 albums and 20 years, the anticipation for their new studio album has exceeded all our expectations. Whether you're talking catalog sales, radio, video or simply word of mouth, the demand has been unprecedented. It's been a textbook marketing plan, and even better, with all of the exposure, we've been able to secure the songs from online piracy...knock on wood. The fan who buys the new METALLICA record will own one of the best albums they've made in their 20-year history."

"St. Anger" marks the group's first studio album since 1997's "Reload". The band's 1999 disc, "S&M", recorded live with a symphony orchestra, has sold 2.5 million in the U.S.

Elektra VP Marketing Dana Brandwein said the band's fan base was targeted first, but the label intends to expand the promotional/marketing campaign from there: "While METALLICA fans are the most important thing to the band, they're just as committed to making new ones."

Added Thompson: "Every testosterone-charged male and a lot of women will be in record stores celebrating St. Anger's Day with 74 minutes of new songs and a [bonus] live DVD that will rock their balls off. Did I really say that?"

:::

It will Rock your Balls off!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 29, 2003 14:14     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
"Every testosterone-charged male... will be in record stores celebrating St. Anger's Day..."

Bugger, now I finally know it, I must be gay.

Excuse me while I go book tickets for Busted. They're, just, like, sooooooooo dreamy...

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 29, 2003 14:29     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All the above reviews are brilliant and precise. You guys are better writers than most rock critics!!

I would only add that no other guitarist in metal history aged so bad as Hammet. The guy can't simply play his thing anymore. It all started in the "black album" where he didn't deliver any decent guitar solo (only the boring wah-wah fillers)
Lars has always been a very limited musician and should drop his drumming profession to embrace law. He did suceed in the Napster case, didn't he?

As far as bass playing, I have to admit that it was inexistent even in the Newsted days.
Jasonic seems to be cool and he's surely kickin' butt now, but I never managed to figure out a single bass note in the Metallica sound from '88 on. Cliff Burton was THE man, sorry.

The 3 first records are classics, "...And Justice..." is just okay and the rest of their discography sucks big time. I wouldn't waste my time with their new attempt to rock. They're history...they're gone.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted May 29, 2003 14:49     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh come on, its not half as bad as that last crappy Slayer record.

Besides, you should be nice to old-timers!

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted May 29, 2003 15:06     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
I would only add that no other guitarist in metal history aged so bad as Hammet.

David Gilmour (ok, it's not metal, but he's a guitar player as well)

Then <-- click

Now <-- click

That man was a GOD -- according to a few heterosexual males, back then (in the 60's & 70's), he sure would have made some of them question their own sexuality!!

But now?!? Sheesh, talk about letting yourself go!!!

But yes, Hammett sure has aged bad as well!!

VF

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted May 29, 2003 16:15       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That number of records sale is a crock of shit.Thats what record stores ordered and hope to sell.For all we know every one of those cd's could sit on the shelves and rot for the next fifty years and even if they didnt sell anything you would never know it because radio stations & MTV will be kissing there asses anyway.There so big now they don't need to make good music,they just need to be good bullshitters-which they are.Thats how so many actors are still popular after making so many shitty movies.
IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 29, 2003 16:21     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
I would only add that no other guitarist in metal history aged so bad as Hammet.

True indeed! He looks a bit like Santana did in the 80's, but more orange.

And yeah, the quality of his playing seems to have receded as much as his hairline.

Good call on David Gilmour VF! I've always thought that he aged pretty badly too! This would be a good thread actually... "musicians who have aged horribly"... LOL!

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 29, 2003 17:38     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorf:
Besides, you should be nice to old-timers!

Sorry, I show no mercy to bullshitters like them.

Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 29, 2003 17:53     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok back to this VIDEO! I just downloaded it from metallica.com, and well, uh, here's my smack on it: Is Lars really playing a snare drum or is it just a modified cowbell? What's with the hats? Are these guys on the way to what I call "Scorpions" syndrome? I sure can't wait to download their entire new album for free sometime soon. LOL! But I didn't like the way the new Voivod sounded through my computer, so I'll wait until I can hear the new stuff properly before making final judgement.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 29, 2003 20:34     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I caught the last part of the MTV Tribute to them that was on reruns the other day. It made me so sick that I cannot stomach ANY Metallica now. Not even the Cliff albums. They're as annoying(and useless)as the Osbournes now. So I could give a shit what the new stuff sounds like.
tomsawyer
VoivodFan
Member # 306

posted May 30, 2003 11:16     Profile for tomsawyer   Email tomsawyer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gorf:
[QB]Oh come on, its not half as bad as that last crappy Slayer record.

WHAT?!!

TRUE, IT WASN'T SLAYER'S BEST ALBUM BUT AT LEAST THEY STAYED TRUE TO THE KIND OF MUSIC THEY PLAY NOT LIKE THOSE LAME ASS FUCKS IN METALLICA, ASSWIPE!

BLACK/LOAD/RELOAD ARE WORST PIECES OF SHIT EVER! YOU DONT HEAR SLAYER SAYING "THIS NEXT RECORD WILL BE LIKE IT WAS WHEN WE STARTED OUT". THEY DONT HAVE TO. THEY AREN'T THE ONES WHO HAVE AVRIL SINGING "REIGN IN BLOOD" WHILE THEY SIT IN THE AUDIENCE SAYING HOW GREAT HER VERISION OF THE SONG WAS!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 30, 2003 11:30     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh no.

Dont get Gorf started on that Slayer topic again please. lol!
He hates them.
Yet he likes Yanni better.

What a ....Gorf he is.

SLAYER RULEZ...PERIOD! So there!
Slayer can kick Metallica's ass any day.

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted May 30, 2003 12:20     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope it would be the most downloaded album of all time !
troyvod
VoivodFan
Member # 112

posted May 31, 2003 20:40     Profile for troyvod   Email troyvod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just a 2 word review
Mid-life Crisis!!!!!!!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 31, 2003 22:39     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Living Evil: dont you think that maybe being a captive audience at a metallica show qualifies as "cruel and unusual punishment", rather than a "reward", hehe.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan