my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 1st Thrash Metal Song

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1st Thrash Metal Song
Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 29, 2003 01:29     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I recently read an interview/questionare with Wolf Hoffman from Accept (Fame) on metal-sludge.com. He suggested that the ACCEPT song "Fast As a Shark" was possibly the first Thrash/Speed metal song ever recorded. Just wonder'in if y'all agreed or had somethin' else in mind.
 |  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 29, 2003 01:49     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's a tough one.
A few that come to mind are:

Judas Priest's 'Dissident Aggressor' (1977)
Maiden's 'Wrathchild' (1981)
even some early Sabbath stuff got pretty fast at times.
A humorous answer would be the ending of 'War Pigs'. (Released September 18, 1970)

Surely there are dozens more that could be mentioned.
It's tough to say, and it's all subject to opinion.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 29, 2003 03:49     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're forgetting the b-side to the 1959 single 'Foot Tapper' by The Shadows - a short song called 'Neck Snapper'. It had double-kick all the way through, ultra-fast triple-stop chugging and, in place of high pitched vocals, Hank Marvins tasteful twangy guitar.

And in place of drainpipe jeans and white Hi-tops, matching single-breasted suits.

tomsawyer
VoivodFan
Member # 306

posted May 29, 2003 14:37     Profile for tomsawyer   Email tomsawyer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All I know is that it was the first thrash songs I ever heard. However I think Venom came out first.
Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 29, 2003 15:33     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Indeed, most points go to Venom. BTW I just got the lastest issue of Terroizer with the "Retro-Thrash Special" and it is well worth the $7-8 price.
VoivodFan
Member # 319

posted May 30, 2003 00:31     Profile for 666   Email 666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Thrash metal" is a moronic term.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 30, 2003 01:02     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Maiden's 'Wrathchild' (1981)

Wrathchild?

Maybe "Purgatory", but definitely not Wrathchild.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 30, 2003 09:59     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shit, yeah, Purgatory! That song would sound great covered by Voivod! The intro riff reminds me of Piggy.

And I want to hear that song from the Shadows! It sounds interesting...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 30, 2003 10:02     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First thrash? As thrash is heavy rock + punk, history's first thrash band has to be Motörhead.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 30, 2003 10:50     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd have to say Judas Priest's Call For The Priest/Let Us Prey (from 1977's Sin After Sin). It has the double bass thing going like crazy. It's definetly the first speed/power metal song, although maybe not thrash. Helloween and the like wouldn't even exist if tracks like this and Exciter hadn't been written.
I guess the thrash prize would probably go to some early Motorhead.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 31, 2003 00:07     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, well I haven't listened to fucking Maiden in like 15 years,
what the hell do I know.

Ever heard 'Hammerhead' (1978 - 'Heat in the Street') by The Pat Travers Band?
That was certainly a predecessor to modern 'speed metal',
or whatever the fuck you want to call it.

Hey 666, are you by chance related to that insufferable fucknut Prozac?

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 31, 2003 11:40     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 666:
"Thrash metal" is a moronic term.

I've always had a problem with that term, myself, and what it implies. Thrash means different things to different people. You say thrash, some will think, for instance, Testament - Practice What You Preach (yuck) and some will say Cryptic Slaughter - Money Talks. It's a little broad for such a subdivision.

First thrash song ever? That's almost impossible to get people to agree since, like i said, thrash doesnt mean the same to every individual.

I have a better idea. What was the first blast beat ever recorded? Probably on the first D.R.I. release (Dirty Rotten EP) in 1983. "Milk" by S.O.D. also comes to mind.

Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 31, 2003 15:23     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

I have a better idea. What was the first blast beat ever recorded? Probably on the first D.R.I. release (Dirty Rotten EP) in 1983. "Milk" by S.O.D. also comes to mind.[/QB]

Check this out if you haven't already. www.metal-sludge.com/20QuestionsLilker.htm

He mentions both the 1st Blast beat from DRI and the song 'Milk.'

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 31, 2003 15:53     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hah! that's cool!
Danny knows his shit too.

VoivodFan
Member # 319

posted June 01, 2003 20:25     Profile for 666   Email 666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Historically speaking, thrash started with DRI.

The rest is just wanking subjectivism, which is crap because we all know that EVERY opinion does not matter

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 01, 2003 23:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 666:
Historically speaking, thrash started with DRI.

The rest is just wanking subjectivism, which is crap because we all know that EVERY opinion does not matter

Evidence for the '666 is Prozac' allegation:

1. he uses (the OH so threatening) '666' as his username, a known Pro-sack fave
2. he ignores questions posed directly to him
3. he speaks as though his word is LAW

Evidence against the '666 is Prozac' allegation:

1. he used a smiley (possible deterrent tactic)
2. he has not brought in the subject of necessary Judeo-Christian genocide
as the 'final solution' to the question "1st Thrash Metal Song"
3. he is not (yet) a long-winded nincompoop
4. no Anus.com reference

let's see how things go from here

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan