my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » electroclash and retro-futurism

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: electroclash and retro-futurism
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 23, 2003 22:27     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Every now and then I'm sick of guitars and I turn to guilty electronic pleasures. (What can I say, I'm a child of the 80's) Since Autechre and driving music came up here that got me thinking about electronic music and one of my all time favourite CDs for driving - Solvent's "Solvently One Listens"

I also recently caught Adult and Magas live who are both definitely more crash than Solvent. I have to say I enjoy listening to them at home a billion times more than seeing them live. People on stage with laptops are pretty boring for the most part. However, Magas is very entertaining when he strips off his jean jacket and dances to his own samples, sweat running down his hairy chest...

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 24, 2003 02:54     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How would you define 'Crash'?

You are beginning to sound like a potential 'Clifford', Nia.
(a Clifford = a fan of Severed Heads)

Let's see if maybe you are...

Severed Heads - Spastic Crunch MP3
From 1985's 'City Slab Horror'

To me, this is the ultimate mindfuck music.
Although it would take at least 10 examples of this dude Tom Ellard's music
(SH spans 20+ years)
...to really give you an idea, this is a pretty good one to start with.

Apologies if you are already familiar with S.H.
I am gonna go check yours out.

Amalthea
VoivodFan
Member # 301

posted May 24, 2003 03:22     Profile for Amalthea   Email Amalthea     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
he strips off his jean jacket and dances to his own samples, sweat running down his hairy chest...

Hmmm...sounds intriguing; I will ckeck this out.

When I'm looking for non-guitar elecro mood music, Air (the two French guys) never lets me down.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 24, 2003 12:24     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, T, I do know the SH. The ultimate mindfuck for me would be To Live and Shave in L.A., often pure noise with a bit of screaming layered in - listening to it is kind of like being stuck in a psych ward. (I have used this often in the battle of the neighbours). Anyway, the 'crash' comment was meant to be sardonic, but I think Solvent is a little more bubbly (that's such a musical term, haha). I guess the 'crash' term came about in order to differentiate between older electro stuff that is pretty clean, using analog synths, in comparison to sounds that are more distorted and the use of samples, etc. Since KT was my first vv record I'm thinking this is a very ironic topic.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 24, 2003 15:15     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did I mention that I too wear a spandex unitard and a cape when I listen to electroclash? Well now you know.
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted May 25, 2003 13:29     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have an extra good one. Its so tight my ball sack hangs out.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 25, 2003 22:45     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Now there is a sight i would prefer not to see.

Anyone here like 'Future Sounds of London' or 'Orb' ?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 26, 2003 02:32     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shit, I fucked up the file extension on that Severed Heads track.
It works now, if you want to grab it.

Severed Heads - Spastic Crunch MP3

Gooood shit, man.

Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted May 26, 2003 04:09     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
:Anyone here like 'Future Sounds of London' or 'Orb' ?

I've got Dead cities. Orb i do not know, but I like everything from Orbital, especially the album In Sides. If you can listen to it somewhere, do it, it's worth a try!

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted May 26, 2003 12:37     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Severed Head is freaky I'm gonna look out for To Live and Shave in L.A. its always usefull to have some noize to get the people out. So there to all the elcectro freak out there a got a question. Since I known about nothing about electro music I want to known the names of some electro bands that sound like old sci-fi movies like The day that the eartg stood still. Are anything over the top psychedelic or mind fucking. I need some education thanks.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 26, 2003 21:03     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow Noitall, yet another near miss! I almost went to see that Adult show but instead, I umm, uhh... Went camping! Yes, that's it! Was this a mistake on my part? What was your impressions of the show?

"Yes Indio, it was a mistake! Not meeting up with Noitall!?! Are you nuts!?!"

Voivod
VoivodFan
Member # 222

posted May 27, 2003 01:33     Profile for Voivod   Email Voivod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I posted on the "hi, I'm a n00b" thread, I've been a techno DJ for about six years now. I often encorporate electro (not electroclash) into my sets. Some suggestions:

Anything by Drexciya - Innovative, complicated, political and futuristic. Sadly, James Stinson died last fall, but he was really prolific for the year or so before his death, and they're still releasing his work. Check out Abstract Thought - Hypothetical Situations if you can find it.

I-F Fucking Consumer: Uneven, but very worthwhile release. "Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass" is a classic.

Dopplereffekt - distantly related to Drexciya, more harsh and abrasive, and not as complex, but still excellent tru-school electro.

Bankok Impact Traveller: Silly, over-the-top retro 80s fun. More accessible than the abovementioned acts, too. They do a frightening cover of "Like A Virgin".

It's more mellow and West Coast, but Darwin Chamber's Ghetto Electro Chronicles is essential stoner electro.

That's brief roster, but there's also Ectomorph, Dexter, Fastgraph, Aux 88, and so many others...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 27, 2003 10:03     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not as sophisticated as you guys, so, I stay with my Front 242. Tyranny For You always works when I'm in a no-guitar mood. Plus, I only have Front By Front on vinyl, and my vinyl player is, let's say, broken. So, no Headhunter for me.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan