my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New Member/Old Member Voivodfan meet and greet! (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: New Member/Old Member Voivodfan meet and greet!
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 26, 2003 20:11     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, does this mean that there is actually ONE person out there in the multiverse who - UNDERSTANDS!?! MY GOD!!! I'm beginning to view Cthon somewhat as a comrade in arms! We probably have alot in common experience wise at least if nothing else. I'm actually quite painfully shy about my "chosen" profession. At parties I usually either gloss over the truth or make vague references or even go into my too drunk to talk coherently routine! But my man Cthon I can tell straight out about what's happening and he'll understand! Hopefully be even a tad sympathetic and/or compassionate like a person who has been there! God-damn, that's rare indeed! So Cthon, may I ask which company you now work for? Is it the evil empire - Quebecor? Do you guys make labels? Do you have a perfect binder? As far as the screwy wages business is concerned, I understand exactly what you have experienced. Just as I was about to get my next apprenticeship related raise, instead, I experienced a major pay cut and was booted back downstairs to the bindery! Sure did wonders for my self-esteem! Talk about feeling wanted, eh? Bastards! Twice prior to that - once in the press room and once in the pre-press - I had my pay cut back to starvation levels because I was "the new guy" who had to serve a probation period just to prove myself! I proved myself alright! But I came damn close to catching scurvy not to forget almost being reduced to eating dogfood just to survive!
 |  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 26, 2003 20:55     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
as for your questions: ive worked for family run business (about 40 employess last job, altho we were a vendor for Quebecor-along w/2000 other companies worldwide ) we did a lot of big manufacturing jobs, like 5 million food stamp runs for LA County, haha. my new company is half that size and does smaller, more local, but high quality, high paying jobs. stuff like brochures for art gallery exhibitions and rule books for golf clubs. we dont have a perfect binder, and we print on labels but dont manufacture them. very funny about never wanting to tell anyone you are a "stripper", its almost impossible to describe to the layman. i always told everyone i was a "pressman" even tho i never ran a press, haha. another funny thing is the old adage that everyone in printing is either "a jesus freak or alcoholic" (nice stroy about the bar, btw ) even funnier is that one of my buddies ive known for years from the ALL messsage board (he works in Atlanta for some major, cant remember who), was in pre-press but now is in bindery, haha, honest. i almost thought he was a lost twin, he even has the same name as me, haha. january will be 10 years of printing for me, its not a bad racket, i guess, but damn, you have to wait til someone dies around here before you can get a pre-press job. oops, did i say that?
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 26, 2003 21:37     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You probably have better odds at getting struck by lightening twice. In my case, things have degenerated to the point where I have better odds at getting hit three times! I've seen flyboys reach retirement age before they get a chance at being a third pressman! Nowadays to even get a chance in the pre-press is to accomplish the impossible! Something which we both have done once! Here's to the next time! Actually working in a bindery is not all that bad! In my case I get to come to work dressed like a slob and get paid for it! On my resume I can say that I have alot of experience working with people with special needs - most of my coworkers are drooling vegetables! People ask me quite often about why I seem to constantly be in a very good mood. I reply that I have spent too much time in a bindery - now I'm always laughing! And if I happen to especially feel bad one day, I can always merely glance over at the temporary labourers who frequent the place - and see people with REAL PROBLEMS! The other day I had to work next to a black guy who was an extremly heavy tobbacco smoker who also never washed very often. When I first got a whiff of him, I damn near puked! He smelled so friggin horrible I had to set up a fan between us so his stench could get blown away from me and towards another unfortuante coworker who couldn't easily escape. You should have seen the look on her face! Priceless!
Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 26, 2003 22:04     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Indio, the funny thing about me and pre-press was that i started out as a shipping clerk. but i got all my shipping done half-way thru the day, so i laid up in my office drawing pictures all the rest of the day. when an opening came up in pre-press, my boss was like "hey, do you want a job where can you put all that pent up artistic frustration to use?" it actually sounded more like "you draw pictures purty good there, boy, come work in the comp room,yee-haw!" thus began over 8 years of compositional joy, haha.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 26, 2003 23:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let's see, what's the order of this thing:

Name: Lee

Origins: Scot-Irish mainly. I really don't care about the other side of my ancestry as the Scots were far more entertaining. It also makes good conversation to mention my Great-great Uncle who was the first man to sign South Carolina's secession from the United States back in 1861.

Location: Georgia, yeah, you know where we've got that very peculiar flag.....

Interests: Collecting Ray Coniff memorialbilia(Ray, we shall never forget you),
CONIFF

Watching(while drinking)the movie

Grey Eagle
[The thrilling story of a frontiersman's search for his kidnapped daughter in Montana in the 1840's, and yeah, the damn Injuns were to blame. I recommend this viewing experience to anyone in need of laughing till the choke and throwing up on their sofa.]

Bragging about how I'm on a diet and working out when I'm really doing neither.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 27, 2003 09:55     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

The United States are doomed!

DOOOOOOOOMED!!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 27, 2003 10:46     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahahahaha!!!!

That's right baby, molding our children into future neo-conservatives to keep America number one in the world. I'm gonna show them how its hip to be a Republican....

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 27, 2003 19:01     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Doom or be Doomed

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 27, 2003 19:34     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
another funny thing is the old adage that everyone in printing is either "a jesus freak or alcoholic"

Oh boy, it's funny that you said that 'cause here in Brazil people in printing are also seen as jesus freaks and alcoholics!!
What the f...! Is it an international stereotype or what?!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 27, 2003 20:50     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mr. Eddy~ i think it was hanging around all the jesus freaks that made me an alcoholic, actually. haha.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 29, 2003 21:45     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I certainly hope that Brazilian postal workers are held in high esteem! As far as religious freaks and alcoholics are concerned, our industry is probably one of the few which provides them with employment! Then again, it takes either a certain numbness; incompetance; mental deficiency; or inner fire to be able to handle the day to day madness... As for me, I'll tell you a mostly true quick story about how I first started in this business. Many years ago, word on the street had it that one had to be crazy in order to work at the Free Press. Well it just happened around then that I got out of the hospital having recovered somewhat from my latest breakdown. So I applied for a job there and was welcomed with open arms!
Floydian
VoivodFan
Member # 198

posted July 27, 2003 02:41     Profile for Floydian   Email Floydian     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry for topping this. Cool thread

Name: Rama

Country of birth: India

Place of residence: Charlottesville, VA

Favourite bands: Pink Floyd (pre-Dark Side), The Velvet Underground, Hawkwind, Blue Oyster Cult, King Crimson, Black Sabbath, Voivod, Maiden, The Who, Steely Dan, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Randy Newman, Jefferson Airplane, Can, Gong, Grateful Dead, Soft Machine, David Bowie, Jethro Tull etc...oldie hard rock, psychedelia, krautrock, blues rock, proto-punk in general.

Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Soccer, inner peace, collecting psych/ prog/ space rock/ hard rock albums, seeing as many 1930-50s movies as possible and this includes all the good stuff and the crappy obscure mysteries too...even Tod Slaughter stuff

Favourite Voivod albums: Nothingface, Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, War and Pain, Outer Limits

Five Desert island books:

1. Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
2. The Trial - Franz Kafka
3. V - Thomas Pynchon
4. Absalom, Absalom! - William Faulkner
5. Sometimes a great notion - Ken Kesey

Five desert island movies:

1. Cool hand luke
2. The Manchurian Candidate
3. The Caine Mutiny
4. Blow Up
5. Room Service (Groucho Marx is God! )

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 27, 2003 04:40     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well hey there Floydian! I'm actually glad you resurrected this topic.

Good to see someone else who likes Jefferson Airplane around here!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 27, 2003 13:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well met Floydian!

Actually we met awhile back on the now-defunct Maiden GC board. Back when it was fun. I haven't been posting on the Brotherhood board much. Guess I gotta get crackin' and my post count up so I can see the "hidden" boards,eh?

You still chat with any of the old GC folks?

Floydian
VoivodFan
Member # 198

posted July 28, 2003 17:16     Profile for Floydian   Email Floydian     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Well met Floydian!

Actually we met awhile back on the now-defunct Maiden GC board. Back when it was fun. I haven't been posting on the Brotherhood board much. Guess I gotta get crackin' and my post count up so I can see the "hidden" boards,eh?

You still chat with any of the old GC folks?

I haven't been posting there too. I started to find it boring and stopped. I haven't chatted with the GC folks either. This board seems much more interesting (although I guess I'll have to get used to the slower rate of posting here )

quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:
Well hey there Floydian! I'm actually glad you resurrected this topic.

Good to see someone else who likes Jefferson Airplane around here!

Thanks. Crown of creation, After bathing at baxters, Volunteers and Surrealistic Pillow are true classics. Also Bless its pointed little head is in my top 5 live albums of all time (and I think has the finest bass playing ever...love Jack Cassady's tone and loose, carefree playing). They also put out that superb Blows against the empire under Paul Kantner's name. Well after that, except for a few moments, they don't really do justice to their original golden age, don't they?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 28, 2003 18:48     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey I'm reading Tropic of Capricorn now. Cause Emlyn said it was better than Cancer. I'm loving it so far.

Have you ever seen the movie Henry & June? Good film. Probably one of the most erotic films I've ever seen. At the time I didn't know who Miller was nor cared.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 29, 2003 12:40     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Username: You know already.
First name: Angel
Surname: Rat
Nicknames: Chefren, AR, Syd Gates, Matthew Hopkins, Luigi DeFellatio, Ozzy
Place: southwest of lovely Holland (the Nether Wastedlands)
Occupation: laboratory assistent, sex slave, beer tester, certified drunk
Hobbies: music, other music, mental weightlifting, drinking, talking nonsense
Weird tendencies: visit me after 22.00, I'll show ya!
Reading: currently 'Are you morbid?' by T.G. Fischer
Fav movies: Donnie Darko, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Taxi Driver, all Monty Python movies
Famous Last Words: neeeeddd mmooorree ddrriinnkzz, wotzz diizzz ztuff wid de bluu laabbelll, loookkzzz kkkeeewwlll!

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted November 02, 2003 19:34     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Figured I'd give this one a *bbbuuummmmpppp* up top to let some of the newer residents learn about the grizzled vets here.
VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted November 02, 2003 20:15     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kane:
Figured I'd give this one a *bbbuuummmmpppp* up top to let some of the newer residents learn about the grizzled vets here.

Just read it all, this is a good thread. Need to read it more,can't remember everything I read.

Have to copy those questions, I'll be back posting very soon. Give me half an hour...

Cheers!

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted November 02, 2003 22:07     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aahhhh, yeah

Name: Annki Short for Ann-Kristin

Height: 163 cm

Weight: 60 kilograms

Jobs: 1:Began as a worker for General Foods, Gevalia here in town, heavy .
2: Cleaning up after other people.
3: Restaurant, making sandwishes.
4: Adult student, No more heavy work for me! some "injuries".
5: Administration, accountant, economy, In between job teacher Math, science, english
Rigt now disability pension, caused by Ulcerative Colitis (sh*t) and reumatic artrit.
6: "working", non-profit, against racism.

Interests: Music, Litterature, Nature,
I like wolfs! the swedes should stop killing this beautiful animal here we have .. ...!
Soccer is a sport! Hockey is fav'. Did in fact play some soccer for the gils team at General Foods!.....Skating, since I can remember. I almost drove my 2 year old brother crazy because I insited on playing hockey with him and his pals..... ..

Beer, I like Guiness, cannot drink so much due to medication.... ...Just a few times a year.

MUSIC: THIN LIZZY, VOIVOD,........ Rainbow UFO, Deep Purple, Prince, Sparks, UB40, Daniel Lemma, Paul Young, ORFF, Alice Cooper, Lanerhorn, Recently "discovered" Death&Taxes, 10cc, Beatles, The Commitments , Gasolin, ELO (early),Johnny Clegg, Ivan Rebroff, Metallica, King Crimson

I did play aucustic guitar. My parents bought one for me when I was 11 yrs. No nylon strings, A "Bjärton", signed. I was the only one who grew up to be a music freak, just like my dad. Been singin' just for the plesure of it. My kids are all involved in music, one way or the other.

I'm now a slow "writer", takes some time to "hit" the keyboard. Many years of work using typewriters and keyboards, and that dangerous little "mouse" ha ha, that thing made me have a sugery .....ahhhh be patience.....

VOIVOD; Jasonic kind of brought me here. Have a special relation to the album AngelRat. Found it here in town, second hand, fractalcs and the butterfly effect.....that is something for me, The Theory of Chaos!

THIN LIZZY; -76 became a huge fan, found their album Vagabonds of The western World.
Live concert 1983, I was in heaven.

Have I forgotten something.....?

I'm very sleepy, sometimes pain keeps me awake....Think I might need Painkiller.... ....... Think I'll use some Voivod instead. Just got "Phobos" from Amazon!

did I forget something? yeah, Uriah Heep. got their album "Fallen Angel" on vinyl.

And Kula Shaker, remember "hush". King Kula made me remember. Thanks!

I like your "bar" warcorpse, thanks!

Just look at the half hour" I bragued about. Took me 2 hours.....

Cheers!

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted November 03, 2003 01:19     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2 hrs is acceptable for your life story, Annki! Mine's not quite so interesting.

Name: Megan (sometimes Meg or Meggie)
Hair: short
Eyes: four (when I actually wanna SEE)
Job: yes
Interests: few - music (duh!), reading (almost anything...I used to work in a bookstore), sports (baseball - good, hockey - better, bike racing - best), watching paint dry (highly underrated as entertainment)
Drink: currently blackberry tea from my "centenaire du tour de france" commemorative mug

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 03, 2003 03:54     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Meg, are you gonna hit the Accused show Nov. 8th?
Fuck, I wish I could be there.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted November 03, 2003 07:06     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here mine.......,

Name: Robert

nationality: dutch

living: Venlo Netherlands

length: 1,85meter

weigth: 80kilo's

musts: Voivod best of on vinyl to complete my vinylcollection!!

music: to much to write it down, but main music is 80s/beginning 90s metal like, Voivod, DBC, Iron Maiden, Death Angel, Metal Church, Celtic Frost, Faith no More etc etc and some other kinds of music like Manu Chao or Like Calexico, but old Y&T, old Kiss and Led Zeppelin too. At the other side, I hate rastamusic and so called R&B(what is a huge insult for the real meaning of the abbreviation)

other hobby's: traveling the globe like every year a big journey. I like Latin America the most, I really love it. Mexico(south) and Costa Rica are favorite. I read lot of books about old civilizations like the Aztecs, Mayas and Incas and their buildings. Want to visit every continent before I'm 40. I do South America next year and Oceania maybe the year after and then I have them all Other hobby is my marinetank, but only with, in marinetanks breeded fishes and corals. Then there is my hobbycar, a Lancia Delta HF Integrale. It's a real ralleycar what won 10 ralley worldchampionships. Do the most work on the car myself.

sports: I play league soccer, but not on a very high level I'm also play indoorsoccer and squash once a week. Squash is realy good to spit out my anger On TV I only watch Formula1 and WRC, sometimes soccer, but that is no must. Sometimes I go with some friends to Austria for whitewaterrafting and canyoning, but that are no sports for every week......

profession: I work at a German forwardingcompany as manager of the customsoffice. I'm surrounded by woman

I'm sure I did forget a lot of things, but nobody is perfect

Grtzzz, DBC

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted November 03, 2003 13:23     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Meg, are you gonna hit the Accused show Nov. 8th?
Fuck, I wish I could be there.

I didn't know they were playing...and I can't find reference to the show anywhere! Where are they playing!
Meg

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted November 03, 2003 13:31     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nevermind, found it...yes I'm gonna try to go! Thanks for mentioning it, otherwise I probably would have heard about it either 10 minutes before showtime...or 3 days after.
Meg

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan