my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Total Lunar Eclipse (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Total Lunar Eclipse
VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted May 15, 2003 17:11     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For anyone interested in this type of stuff and depending on where you live, you might just spot a total lunar eclipse tonight

From USA Today
Moon takes stage in a ballet with Earth's shadow tonight

Clouds permitting, sky watchers in the Americas, Western Europe and Africa will enjoy a total lunar eclipse tonight, one of nature's most compelling special effects. The partial lunar eclipse will start at 10:03 p.m. ET as the Earth blocks sunlight from the moon, gradually sliding into full eclipse at 11:14 p.m. ET. African and Euro-pean viewers will see the eclipse before or at dawn Friday.

In the USA, viewing will be best in the western and central states, but storm clouds and rain threaten elsewhere.

In Europe, skies should be clear over Spain, southern France and Italy, but clouds may impede viewing in the United Kingdom and from northern France to Germany. Mostly clear viewing is forecast for northern and southern Africa, but clouds and thunderstorms could block the view in central Africa.

The moon technically begins the eclipse about an hour before the partial eclipse phase, as the moon begins to pass into a region of half-shadow on the Earth's dark side called the penumbra.

During the total eclipse, the moon will pass entirely into the full shadow of the Earth, a region called the umbra, from the Latin word for shadow. It leaves it an hour later at 12:06 a.m. ET.

''You'll actually see the hard-edged shadow of the Earth as the total eclipse begins,'' says astronomer Fred Espenak of NASA (news - web sites)'s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. The partial eclipse ends at 1:17 a.m. ET. And the moon finally exits the penumbra about an hour later.

A faint red or gray glow will cover the moon during the total eclipse, making it still faintly visible. The glow comes from sunlight scattered off the edges of the Earth, which is bathed in light from the setting and rising sun, even as it places the moon in shadow.

Partial lunar eclipses occur when the moon passes only partway through the umbra region. The amount of dust in the Earth's atmosphere affects the size of the umbra and can throw off eclipse time predictions by a few moments, a measurement of some interest to atmospheric scientists.

Though lunar eclipses offer little scientific value to astronomers, Espenak says they are a powerful reminder of our place in the solar system. He maintains a Web site on eclipses at http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/eclipse.html.

The last total lunar eclipse took place in 2001; typically there are up to three every year.

Anyone who misses out on the event has a second chance this year. On Nov. 8, a total lunar eclipse is expected to be viewable from North and South America.

Two more should take place in 2004.

VF

|  IP: Logged
Catharsis
VoivodFan
Member # 283

posted May 15, 2003 18:21     Profile for Catharsis   Email Catharsis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lunar eclipses are cool.

If you get the chance to use binoculars or a telescope, go for it. That shadow and red light make the surface look, well, different.

Imagine being there on the surface when the whole place is bathed in red light. That would be a sight to see.

Did we really walk on the moon? Anyone fancy a thread on that?

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted May 15, 2003 23:21     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the heads up, i hope i can see something through the smog... i'm going to work earlier anyway (public transports on strike)
Will it look like Phobos or like an invisible planet...?
NP: Phobos

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 16, 2003 01:21     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw the eclipse and I must say it was a great sight. I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and there was not a single cloud in the sky here tonight, thus anyone could spot the eclipse.
I happened to use binocculars and it was a trip to see the moon getting red and dark!
It's funny how this subject is so Voivodesque...

Catharsis
VoivodFan
Member # 283

posted May 16, 2003 10:27     Profile for Catharsis   Email Catharsis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, the moon became all Anark.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 16, 2003 10:46     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great, another Brasilian in the Forum!!!

Here are some nice pics from what we saw here last night.

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted May 16, 2003 10:54     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was such a cool thing to see. I'd never actually stayed up to see one of those before. I don't really know much about astronomy (I'm more of a forensic science admirer), but it was nice to finally see what it was all about!
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted May 16, 2003 11:03     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't see anything, it was already daylight - too much doobie music I guess

thanks for the pics Slaytanic
Hi Mr Eddy!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 16, 2003 11:16     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As usual I didn't know anything about it until after the event. Bugger.
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted May 16, 2003 13:37     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Slept right through it... Wonder why.
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 16, 2003 19:39     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Slaytanic and Neutrino! I didn't know that there was another Brazilian around here... Actually, only recently I joined the 'Vod Forum thus I haven't posted many messages yet.

Anyway, I started to listen to Voivod in 1986 and since then I've been following their career and buying everything they put out. Wonder if one day I'll have the chance to see them live...
Well, who knows Jasonic and Andreas don't work something out during the US tour?...

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 16, 2003 20:02     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
shit, i stayed up all night waiting for the clouds break clear. i could see the glow behind the clouds and then the glow go dim during the event.

Thanks for the pictures, least you guys had a real clear shot of it.

Astronomy is cool as hell man, love that kinda philosophy.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 17, 2003 00:24     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
Hi Slaytanic and Neutrino! I didn't know that there was another Brazilian around here...

Falae, Eddy!!! O Neutrino é francês, eu moro em Mogi das Cruzes, pertinho de Sampa! Também curto Voivod faz tempo, e este site é o que tem de melhor sobre Voivod. Os caras que postam aqui são gente finíssima, você vai gostar.

Além do mais, o Blacky "aparece" por aqui e no chat de vez em quando.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 17, 2003 00:26     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Revenge on you, french speakers!!!
Iron Noggin
VoivodFan
Member # 310

posted May 17, 2003 02:45     Profile for Iron Noggin   Email Iron Noggin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i watched the whole thing clear as a bell in Houston last night, it was very cool, but the angle at which the shadow came from was different than those pics posted earlier, from my point of view, the shadow encroached from what was the lower side slightly to the right and the shadow rose upwards...weird
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 17, 2003 03:57     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Noggin!!

I was in Houston too , and the sky was clear. The shadow wasn't very pronounced though, it could well have been mistaken as a "black cloud", lol.

My dumbass thought it was the day before and that I missed it, but then when I saw it on TV I ran outside to catch it halfway through. I still think solar eclipses are crazier .

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted May 17, 2003 11:02     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
er..
'O que eu fiz para merecer isso?'

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 17, 2003 12:04     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw a good portion of it, but it was a bit chilly on the patio and since they were showing it live on tv, i figured it was warmer inside. Plus i was in the middle of drinkin' beer. Nothing, including a lunar eclipse, will take that beer away from me!

Oh and i'd like to send a warm welcome to Mr.Eddy, as well.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 17, 2003 13:24     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:
er..
'O que eu fiz para merecer isso?'

LOL!!!

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 19, 2003 13:18     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fala aê, Slaytanic! Que mundo pequeno, hein? Se bem que tem brasileiro em tudo o que é lugar... E aí, já ouviu o último disco dos caras? O que achou?

Eu baixei em MP3 e queimei um CD-R. Quando sobrar uma grana vou ver se compro. Eu achei bem legal, apesar que tá um pouco "reto" demais (preferia que ele tivessem mantido um pouco das "viagens" do "Outer Limits" ou do "Nothingface"). Mesmo assim, tá bacana, especialmente pq tem o Snake no vocal!!!

Eu li a entrevista com o Blacky aqui no site e achei legal. Aliás, li uma com o Away no site Metal Update e ele diz que nunca entra aqui no VoivodFan porque o pessoal é muito negativo, sí fala dos anos 80, etc. Sei lá, ele tem suas razões, mas o site é legal. Também gosto do voivod.net do Yuri.

Bom, é isso aí. Se tiver mais brazucas na área vamos abrir um thread em português!!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 20, 2003 09:26     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Só tem nós dois de brasileiros mesmo, Eddy!

Ouvi alguns sons do CD novo. Eu tenho um promo com três músicas (Gasmask, Rebel Robot e We Carry On) q o pessoal da Chophouse andou distribuindo pra alguns fãs, inclusive o pessoal daqui, e eu fui um dos felizardos!

Fora isso, uma ou outra música no Backstage, mas também não comprei o CD ainda. Sessenta paus na galeria, vou deixar abaixar um pouco o preço! De qualquer forma, eu achei bem legal, lembra muito o Outer Limits, q é uma fase bem legal do Voivod, eu acho.

Olha, quanto ao pessoal daqui, eu sou um pouco suspeito, peguei o site desde o começo, faz pouco mais de um ano. De qualquer jeito, eu acho q o Away exagerou no comentário, o pessoal daqui é bem legal. Mas mesmo o maior fã da banda tem o direito de gostar ou não, ninguém é obrigado a puxar o saco de ninguém. Eu sou fã de Metallica mas não gostei do Load e do Reload, só pra ilustrar.

Do mesmo jeito, algumas pessoas não gostaram das músicas do CD promo (aquelas três), mas adoraram o CD inteiro. Tem também um rolo com o antigo webmaster do Voivod.com (agora Voivod.net), mas a história é muito grande, qualquer dia eu te conto. O negócio não é tão simples assim.

Quanto a só falar de anos oitenta, é só dar uma olhada nos threads de resenha de shows pra ver que o que o Away falou não tem muito a ver.

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 20, 2003 20:15     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fala aí, Slaytanic! Só tem nós 2 do Brasil aqui? Que engraçado, hein? Minoria total! Se bem que eu acho que vai começar a aparecer uns brazucas aqui em breve.

Você conhece a revista Rock Press? Não sei se chega aí em Mogi das Cruzes, porque a distribuição é mais concentrada em SP e RJ, mas é uma revista muito boa. Enfim, me convidaram para escrever pra eles recentemente (na verdade, eu já tinha sido colaborador dos caras por volta de 1996) e minha primeira matéria será sobre o Voïvod!
No final do texto, indiquei os melhores sites (o oficial, o do Yuri e esse aqui) e acho que vai fazer a galera começar a visitar. Aliás, acho que se escreve e se fala muito pouco do Voïvod no Brasil. Quem sabe a matéria não ajude a molecada a começar a ir atrás dos CDs??

Sobre o lance do Away, de repente ele exagerou mesmo. Pelo que vc disse tem mais coisa por trás disso, se bem que ele falou que acha bem legal alguém se dedicar a fazer um site sobre a banda, etc. Agora sobre o negócio dos anos 80, acho que ele estava se referindo à apresentação do site, que diz "80's Fan Site". O conteúdo não é tão fechado assim.

Well, acho que é isso. Vamos mantendo contato. Voïvod rules!!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 21, 2003 10:09     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Conheço sim, Eddy, a Rock Press é bem legal. Legal saber que vai ter Voivod nela, revistas como a Brigade, a Roadie Crew e a Valhalla nem se dignaram a fazer uma resenha que seja do CD novo. Tomara que sua matéria ajude a divulgar um pouco o Voivod por aqui, é uma banda que parece que a "imprensa especializada" daqui faz questão de ignorar. "Eu não gosto, então não sai na revista". Ridículo, no mínimo.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 21, 2003 10:14     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Soft Machine:
Ola

e so para vos dizer que a um outro aqui que fala a mesma lingua!!!

Legal, a máfia começa a aumentar...

De onde você é?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 21, 2003 10:29     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy Hell!

I'm being surrounded by Soccer...er...oops...FOOTBALL Fans!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan