my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » I come bearing gifts!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I come bearing gifts!
Catharsis
VoivodFan
Member # 283

posted May 12, 2003 16:57     Profile for Catharsis   Email Catharsis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What can I say? I'm a lurker!

I wanted to post on this forum, sure, but I'm a shy kinda guy, and just couldn't gatecrash empty-handed.

I've been wading through my old stuff and I found some fun things to scan, which I've emailed to warcorpse. There's an The Outer Limits photo and interview from Kerrang, which I know isn't very 80s, but in the picture there's a good shot of Gilles Brisevois, the guy who did bass for the recording and tours. The interview's good, too. I like this bit: "An enigma that has ploughed a furrow as one of the most creative but best kept secrets in Metaldom." Nice. Well, a bit of a mixed metaphor, but what else can you expect from music journalists?

Anyways, enough of excuses. I also sent through three scans from an old Mega Metal Kerrang (anyone remember that?). Photos and an interview promoting RRROOOAAARRR. The pic of Blacky is great - all snarly spikes jagged bass Korgull shirted thrashiness!

Hope you get to see some of this stuff soon.

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 12, 2003 17:08     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard Catharsis! No need to be shy around here. Some of the freaks let it all hang out! Since you've been lurking I guess you know about the awesome downloads section of the site, eh? Not to be nit picky, but it was actually Pierre St Jean who played bass on The Outer Limits. I was going to scan the latest interview from BW & BK for Warcorpse, but I kept forgetting. Perhaps I will tonight and email it off.
Catharsis
VoivodFan
Member # 283

posted May 12, 2003 17:29     Profile for Catharsis   Email Catharsis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pierre St Jean? That's what I get for being too lazy to check the CD notes.

Monsieur Brisevois certainly looks like the guy I saw with them on the tour (the Marquee, London), but maybe I'm wrong. You've seen one black-haired bassist, you've seen em all! Except for THE black-haired bassist, obviously...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 13, 2003 06:35     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Catharsis. I was at that marquee show all those years ago. What a killer show too, eh? By the way, I think it was Gilles Brisevois who played the London show with them. We've discussed this elsewhere on this board so have a look around if you wanna be 100% sure, but it definately wasn't Pierre St Jean. I think he just did the recording and the US tour. Anyway, like I say the exact info is on this site somewhere, but you're pretty close anyway. Cheers and welcome to vvf.com.
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 13, 2003 07:17     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pierre St-Jean did play the bass lines on "Outer Limits"...
matter of fact, he filled in for a few dates in 1992 and played on the record... he also was to be seen on the US leg of the Outer Limits tour but he didn't make it to Europe!

Gilles Brisebois played all '93 european dates with Voivod, the tour kicked off about 15th june in Germany and went on until late July.

Pierre then played with Voivod again from august '93 until late january '94.

and btw., welcome aboard Catharsis, I certainly look forward to checking the offerings you bring with!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 13, 2003 07:39     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There you go! I knew someone would remember exactly how it was. Cheers!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 13, 2003 08:32     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Catharsis!

I was at that Marquee gig in '93 too. You might have seen me and h, we were in the foyer having a row about the Death of Thrash.

He was right, but I think my arguement held water.

Catharsis
VoivodFan
Member # 283

posted May 13, 2003 09:00     Profile for Catharsis   Email Catharsis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Marquee gig...

I remember some fun things.

The support band (Scat Opera, wasn't it?) had a hard time. The singer wasn't pleased; he said something like, "Sorry for being anyone except your favourite band." Heh.

The guys used the start of Jack Luminous as an intro tape, remember? I was kinda disappointed they didn't treat us to the whole thing, but there you go.

Songs like Fix My Heart and The Prow sounded surprisingly intense live. Tribal Convictions and Astronomy Domine. Definite high points. And Piggy with his crazy toy lazer gun bottle neck thang!

One thing I do remember was being down the front at the end. The guys were just about to begin playing Voivod, and the fella next to me started shouting "This is ITTTT! This is ITTTT!" in a SCARY way!

That crazy man wasn't any of you, was it?!

Catharsis
VoivodFan
Member # 283

posted May 13, 2003 09:55     Profile for Catharsis   Email Catharsis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you got them scans. Now I can hold my head up!

I also like all things Voivod, which is surely a sign of varied taste. Even when they do something rock-orientated, they do it in their own way, know what I mean?

The guitarist in the band I'm doing bass duties for is a big fan of Rush and Pink Floyd, and remember's hearing Voivod back in the War and Pain days (he never wanted to hear them again!). Since then, he's heard nothing of their stuff.

I told him about the Rush tour, the covers, Terry Brown, etc. And he couldn't believe it. We're practicing tonight and I said I'd bring him a CD. I thought Nothingface, but what do you think?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 13, 2003 17:07     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice choice! Its the one that sealed my fate as a Voivodfan, although to be fair it was the first one I heard.

I think they would have become my instant favourite whichever of the big 3 I heard first.

Where abouts in the UK are you, matey?

Catharsis
VoivodFan
Member # 283

posted May 14, 2003 17:11     Profile for Catharsis   Email Catharsis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The North East. Shiver.

Hey, at least it has that post-apocalyptic charm!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan