my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The curse of the drummer

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The curse of the drummer
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 12, 2003 15:02     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, after seeing Nia's joke at Kula's expense in the Killing Joke thread, I guess I need some enlightenment. Does EVERY band suffer with the curse of the drummer who can't keep time at one point or another??? Back in the mid-90's, I was in a band, and we went through 3 or 4 drummers over the course of our lifespan. In each case, we'd get rid of them because they just couldn't keep a consistant rhythm. Speeding up, slowing down, speeding up, slowing down. It's SO AGGRAVATING to be in the middle of a song, playing in front of an audience, and have to compensate for the rollercoaster ride going on behind you. Sheesh!

I eventually started recording demos with my buddy, the RhythmTrak 123. Very reliable!

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 12, 2003 15:14     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well drummers are human beings after all, except for your friend, haha. I'm not a drummer, but I've done percussion live on stage (hand drumming) and I sometimes found it hard to stay constant with adrenalin which makes you want to speed up. Plus there's some purely physical/physiological traits that make people want to speed up or slow down. Going from a position where the arms are crossed to an open position gives you the sensation that you are slowing down and it's easy to speed up to make a perceived compensation. But as long as the timing changes aren't too radical I find a human preferable to a machine.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 12, 2003 15:43     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMG!!!

NoItAll really DOES know it all!
hahahaha!

She said everything that i was gonna say...except better than i could.

I know that it may sound somewhat lame, but those reasons are the truth.
Also remember that us Drummers are drunk or stonned 90% of the time,
so that can affect performance as well.

Except in my case of course.
King Kula has mastered the art of keeping a steady beat while being stonned drunk too.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted May 13, 2003 01:26     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are many theories afoot to aid in the explanation of why drummers are so, well to be honest, spastic. Whether their tempos are affected by the tides, irregular heartbeat, Circadian Rhythm, or whatever, the fact remains that they are usually just plain weird.

In the three bands I've been in over the past 13 years, we've had 2 singers, 2 guitar players, 3 bass players, and 9 drummers (and that's just the ones we could stand to tolerate for more than a day).

True story...My guitar player and I were out to see Fu Manchu one night here in New Orleans. After the show, we're standing outside with Scott Hill and this nasty looking chick walks up and says, "Hey guys, it's me." What? It was our fucking drummer in drag. No, not "ha ha joking" or "gong show" drag, but full-blown "favorite pastime" drag.

We grappled with that horrible image for a few months before we parted ways for a multitude of other reasons.

In addition, auditioning drummers is sheer torture. It makes you want to give up music. Call me what you want, but when a drummer shows up with the obligatory drum stick necklace, I head for the door.

Besides the player piano, it's the only musician that mankind has focused its energy and technology on to effectively replace, with a machine.

Nuff said.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 13, 2003 01:42     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the best thing about being a drummer is that you get to sit on the job!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 13, 2003 07:43     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HEY NOW!

Its a lot of hard work back here on the Drums!
It takes skill to grap a quick swig of Beer while playing the Drum Solo to
'Inna gadda da vida!'

I gotta do a lot of muscle work back here while the rest of the band Poses at the front of the stage
with theyre new Axes and whipping hair!
How much skill does it take to have synchronised hair whipping???

I tried to whip my hair around once too...
only to get my drumstick caught in it!
Boy! That was weird!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 13, 2003 08:23     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Our old drummer insisted that his hopelessley out of time drumming was the result of physics. The sound from the bass drum, being of a lower frequency, took much longer to get to the microphone/ear than the hi-hat, for example.

At the time we took this to be the last straw before we kicked him out for being utterly shit, but now I gather there is a grain of truth in this.

But he was really shit.

Randolph Mantooth
VoivodFan
Member # 168

posted May 13, 2003 13:57     Profile for Randolph Mantooth   Email Randolph Mantooth     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get Phil Rudd as your drummer and you'll be all set!
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted May 14, 2003 08:32     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Our old drummer insisted that his hopelessley out of time drumming was the result of physics. The sound from the bass drum, being of a lower frequency, took much longer to get to the microphone/ear than the hi-hat, for example.

I've heard all of this before as well. Frequency differences, ambient temperature & humidity, acoustics, blah blah blah.

"My low E string tones take longer to go through my coily cord than the notes from my G string. It's a conspiracy against bass players. Waa."

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 14, 2003 09:58     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahahaha!

Bass Players..."Rhythm Section"...Bahahahahaaa!!!

I would like to see a Bass player OR a Guitarist keep time WITHOUT a Drummer!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 15, 2003 03:01     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
nothingface, that drummer in drag story was the best thing i've read here in a while. more please.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 15, 2003 07:45     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, Nothingface. Please elaborate.
I have been thinking of exploring that "Wild Side" of myself too.
lol!

~Looks for his Lou Reed CD~

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 15, 2003 08:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula:
I have been thinking of exploring that "Wild Side" of myself too.

AAAAAAaaaarrrrrrggghhh....... That's it. I'm off to find emlyn!

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted May 15, 2003 08:57     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Drummer in Drag, part 2:

High heels. Black panty-hose. Tight-fitting black coctail dress. Fingernail polish. Full makeup and '80 David Coverdale hair. It was not what I wanted to see that night.

It was shocking to say the least. We'd been through a gay drummer and a drummer who had a fetish for being pissed on, but this one took the cake.

My longtime friend and guitar player kept stopping me all night, saying "That was our fucking drummer! Doesn't that bother you?" Honestly, it did, but drummers are tough to come by, so I'd already started blocking it out. I replied, "But he said he'd never show up to practice or a show like that. He said he just like to do that when he goes out." In retrospect, I can't believe I went along with it as long as I did, but I tried.

The next morning, I get a call from our singer. He says, "I got a call from Phil early this morning. I asked him about the show last night and he said 'Nothing in my worst nightmare could have prepared me for the freakshow I saw last night'. He told me about Rick. Man, that guy's more fucked up than we thought. Now, will you let us get rid of him?"

After that, things were kinda weird. We kept expecting him to pop up onstage like that. Our fears mounted, but fortunately, fate intervened. During the recording of our album, he began to complicate things (as most drummer do) by wanting to spend too much time building some hybrid acoustic/electric kit to record with. Time "dragged" and the rift grew. By the end, no one in the band spoke to him and rehearsals consisted of three guys on one end of the room and the stinky drummer (whole other story) on the other. We finally realized that we weren't ever gonna be happy with the smelly, cross-dressing drummer who wasted 3 months of recording time and would back out of shows to DJ at a local FM station (yet another story).

Eventually, we'd had enough and I was given the task of cutting him loose. He couldn't understand why.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 15, 2003 09:56     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool story, Nothingface!

Ok ok...i will skip the whole "Walk on the wild side" idea.

Dont want to get BCoD all excited & stuff. lol!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan