my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Anyone remember MACE and/or Metal Church? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Anyone remember MACE and/or Metal Church?
H.M.A. Merch guy
VoivodFan
Member # 311

posted May 12, 2003 00:20     Profile for H.M.A. Merch guy   Email H.M.A. Merch guy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
.....ahhh,..jesus,...well,..anyone?? Any old Seattle cats?
 |  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 12, 2003 00:54     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The songs 'Beyond the Black' and 'Metal Church' are
among the finest one-two punches ever to open a thrash album.

Other favorite songs:

Method to Your Madness, The Dark, Ton of Bricks, etc.

I pretty much lost interest after vocalist David Wayne bailed.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted May 12, 2003 01:35     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw them open up for Anthrax in '87 on the Among the Living tour. MC was supporting The Dark.

That first record is a classic. The Dark was pretty good. Never heard much of the rest. Is the other stuff worth checking out?

Puzzled
VoivodFan
Member # 294

posted May 12, 2003 01:48     Profile for Puzzled   Email Puzzled     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento...That has got to be the craziest smiley I have ever seen in my life. I like that.

Speaking of Metal Church. Me and cthon were talking about this. Once upon a time in the early 90s...there was a song called Badlands...Now...I'm not talking about the band Badlands...I'm talking about the song and I would have bet a paycheck that it was Metal Church. Who in the hell did that song??? Its driving me crazy.

You know...I should probably try to look it up if its driving me that crazy...duh.

Puzzled
VoivodFan
Member # 294

posted May 12, 2003 02:02     Profile for Puzzled   Email Puzzled     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow...I was right. I SHOULD have bet a paycheck. Anyway...It was off Blessing in disguise...Its a good song. I still haven't found an mp3 for it.
Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted May 12, 2003 02:05     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Tangento I like those songs very much too.
About the band MACE (if it's the same...) I have a tape of "Process of Elimination" and a vinyl of "The Evil in good", I like very much that band but I can't find almost anything of them in the net, (not to mention in the music shops of my country...), have they made other albums?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 12, 2003 08:21     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
METAL CHURCH are great. Still listen to ALL their albums:
METAL CHURCH
THE DARK
BLESSING IN DISGUISE
HANGING IN THE BALANCE
THE HUMAN FACTOR
LIVE
MASTERPIECE

David Wayne's last solo cd was pretty good, and Reverend weren't bad either.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 12, 2003 08:51     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still like Blessing In Disguise the best.
tomsawyer
VoivodFan
Member # 306

posted May 12, 2003 09:26     Profile for tomsawyer   Email tomsawyer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I saw them w/Anthrax in 87 too. I also saw them at the Capital Theater in Passaic NJ with Metallica. Right after Jason joined them. I belive it was 86. (puppets tour)
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 12, 2003 10:18     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved Metal Church, especially the debut. Some of the stuff they did with Mike Howe was very good too, like Hanging In The Balance. Favorite? Probably the "LIVE" album.
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted May 12, 2003 10:27     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first album Metal Church is a true Classic. My favorite one!
I saw them, for the first time, in 1984 at the Banzai Festival in Montral alongside with Slayer, Exodus, Hallow's Eve and Armored Saint.
My second experience, they were opening with Sword for Metallica on their Master Of Pupper tour.
Since then, nothing!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 12, 2003 11:37     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
wow, Sword, thats a band I have not heard in a while. I think I had a tape called 'metalized' or something like that. Not very intersting though.

What a coincidence! See that vinyl record on top of my cabinet there? *points* Yup, It's Metalized! I blasted the thing yesterday while havin' a beer on the balcony in the sun. What a beautiful sunday afternoon experience!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 12, 2003 12:29     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
I loved Metal Church, especially the debut. Some of the stuff they did with Mike Howe was very good too, like Hanging In The Balance.

Same here! My favourite song on "Hanging..." is "Hypnotized", every time somebody talks about MC that song (or "Badlands" from Belching in Disguise) comes to my mind!

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted May 12, 2003 15:52     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Talking about Sword, their manager Pierre Paradis also managed Voivod during the other limit era.
Anyone know what's happened to him?

Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 12, 2003 16:16     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello useless knowledge! Hey, I'm a old Seattle cat! Metal Church came out of the blue-collar suburb of Kent in Seattle. Indeed they had a great debut and follow up album, but then kinda took a back seat as Bay Area and East Coast thrash bands exploded everywhere. In the early 90's their was a joke around here that their biggest claim to fame was when Metallica opened up for them once or twice sometime in '88 or '89 I think. But that is not as strange as when Alice in Chains opened for Crimson Glory here in Seattle in 1989. Let's see. Mike Howe used to sing for a band called Heretic before MC, but David Wayne has some solo thing going called "Wayne" or something in addition to Reverend. I lost interst in them after the "Human Factor" album as I was discovering HEAVIER stuff like Coroner, Kreator, and of course, Voivod.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 12, 2003 16:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
wow, Sword, thats a band I have not heard in a while. I think I had a tape called 'metalized' or something like that. Not very intersting though.

You must have been getting the same free promos I was around that time. I was working for Record World for 5 years during the 80's when I got that and lots of other cool promo shit. Concrete Marketing and Metal Blade always set me up with some cool stuff.

Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 12, 2003 16:26     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SWORD? I saw one very expensive looking video by them for a song called "Trouble Walkin" off the 'Sweet Dreams' album, very generic stuff.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 12, 2003 17:14     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulander7:
[QB] In the early 90's their was a joke around here that their biggest claim to fame was when Metallica opened up for them once or twice sometime in '88 or '89 I think.[QB]

Lol! I saw Metal Church open for Metallica on the Puppets tour. 2 weeks after Jason joined the band.

royvis
VoivodFan
Member # 102

posted May 12, 2003 17:20     Profile for royvis   Email royvis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Tom Sawyer. I was there too, Capitol Theatre Nov, 29, 1986. My second concert! (First was Roger Waters)

Cliff died on Sept. 27, 1986. I believe a few shows of the tour were cancelled, but not New Jersey. It may have been Jason's 3rd or 4th show with the band.

It's really weird looking through the Damage Inc. Tourbook. My how times have changed.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 12, 2003 17:33     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulander7:
SWORD? I saw one very expensive looking video by them for a song called "Trouble Walkin" off the 'Sweet Dreams' album, very generic stuff.

Yah, that was "The Trouble Is" (Trouble Walkin' would be an Ace Frehley record. heh)
Anyhoo, that tune sucked compared to the rest of the record. It wasnt that bad but Metalized blows it out of the water.

H.M.A. Merch guy
VoivodFan
Member # 311

posted May 12, 2003 18:10     Profile for H.M.A. Merch guy   Email H.M.A. Merch guy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metallica blows......uhhh,..he said blows..well,...any Discharge cats in the hizzay?
H.M.A. Merch guy
VoivodFan
Member # 311

posted May 12, 2003 18:25     Profile for H.M.A. Merch guy   Email H.M.A. Merch guy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's one for ya'....Years ago,...Slayer,..Metal Church and MACE did a show in Portland Or,...a guy named Metal Mike had beer waitin' for us,..I drank it all,..being the asshole I am,..proceeded to then pass out,..hours had gone by,..I woke up--came to,..with the cats from Slayer,Metal Church and MACE,...zinging beer-bottle caps at a stack of phone books they'd stacked on my drunk skull. Another day in the life..
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 12, 2003 20:20     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, many years ago I really got into Metal Church's first album. I even remember checking them out at the Coliseum in the mid eighties - they opened for Metallica who were on the Master of Puppets tour and still trying to recover from the Cliff Burton tragedy - and I must say that I had a most enjoyable time! I still dust off my old Metal Church cassette now and then and still get off on listening to them! Pretty sick, huh?
Incidentally, I witnessed an amazing event when Metallica were on stage and performing. Seems someone from the audience threw an empty beer bottle at James Hetfeil and succeeded in having it bounce off of his forehead! No shit! Needless to say that James was quite pertubed by this event and even went so far as send out a few curses in the direction of where this beerbottle originated. He said something to the effect that if it had been him standing in the audience and witnessed the person throw the beer bottle, he would seriously consider taking a few rounds out of the offending person. Could you blame him? On the other hand, I must admit that despite the terrible potential (broken glass getting into the retina and/or something else!),I did find it to be kind of amusing...

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 12, 2003 22:50     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Memories are flooding back...

I saw Metal Church at an outdoor show in Corona, CA
where they were playing with Testament and Anthrax.
That was fucking awesome.
Got really hammered there, and had a hell of a good time.

Did this show hit any of your towns, or was it just a one-off deal?
It had to be around '87 '88 or so.

THIS was also the show I have mentioned before where I met ::urp:: Kirk Hammett -
and looking back, I now wish I had crushed his effeminate little hand,
and stomped his twinkling Wah-Wah toes into oblivion.

Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 12, 2003 23:17     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But Where Are They Now???? Check out the 'news' section of www.metalchurch.com and see messages from the band talking smack about David Wayne and his solo career.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan