my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Quick question about clear vinyl...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick question about clear vinyl...
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 11, 2003 15:21     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just bought a clear vinyl Ramones "4 pinheads in Amsterdam" 7 inch record and, upon bringing it home, have noticed what appears to be some sort of ink or dirt or oil stain on it. Does anyone here know about the production of clear vinyl? I took a close look at the record with a 10X magnifying glass and the blemish almost appears to be part of the actual record. Is this possible? Or if indeed this stain is superficial, how in the heck can I clean it off without destroying any of the tracks!?! Forgive me for being retarded; I just like to drink beer and listen to music and am largely ignorant of how vinyl is made/pressed...
 |  IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted May 11, 2003 15:33     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It probably is part of the vinyl. With clears it is very easy for staining to occur because any impurities that get in during the forming process will show up. I have red vinyls with black stains in them and they are beneath the surface of the record, so don't worry about it. As long as you can't 'hear' the stain when the stylus tracks over this part of the vinyl it isn't a problem.

Good to see another vinyl addict, it's virtually all I own.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 12, 2003 13:46     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree, it sounds like it's in the vinyl itself. Some people clean vinyl with a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water but it's not something I would do unless there was something on the surface that couldn't be removed with a static cloth. If it plays fine I'd leave it alone. Discolorations are kind of cool anyway, they make vinyl unique in a way that CDs lack.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted May 12, 2003 20:41     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice and help! Yes, it is nice to know that there is alot of vinyl addicts out there in the world! This is one thing which I find to be admirable about the so-called indie scene: alot of these people have basically said a big ("glorious" and "heroic") "FUCK YOU!!!" to all the major labels and other major players out there who have by keeping up with the times largely turned their backs on vinyl. Well none of these people are going to force me get rid off my fucking albums and cassette tapes dammit!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Most of which unfortunately are on their last legs and have almost been worn out through excesssive use! As Alfred E. Neuman has been quited oftentimes as asking: "What!?! Me worry!?!" Oh, oh; I'm starting to hyperventilate...

OH MY GOD!!! What a complete and utter downer!?! Is there any relief in sight!?! Somewhere? Anywhere? ("Hey Indio; "i" always comes before "e" except in Budweiser...") AAAEEEIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 13, 2003 01:53     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've seen alot of cool records (i.e. old metal) at garage sales. Just because you have a wife and kids doesn't mean you can't rattle your head anymore! Talk about pussy whipped....

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan