my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » I got a question somebody here might know the answer to.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got a question somebody here might know the answer to.
Puzzled
VoivodFan
Member # 294

posted May 11, 2003 03:28     Profile for Puzzled   Email Puzzled     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lets say I wanted to see if the local rock station would play a song off the new Voivod album...they have some format they have to go by. If they don't have something somebody wants to hear, they can contact somebody...blah blah..I don't know the rest of that part, but they can't just go out and get the Cd and play it. I actually think they download it from whoever that works the format for affiliated stations, but anyway...if they don't have it they can see if they can get it.

MY QUESTION IS...Does it have to be a certain song? Do songs have to be released as singles. I realize I am stupid about this but gimme a break here. Most songs they play have been released as videos or something. I want to see if they will play I don't wanna wake up on the morning show. Get it? I don't wanna wake up...on the morning show...or maybe other songs but I'm just wondering if only certain songs shortly after an album is released can be submitted to a station to put on air. I know they could play it cause they play system of a down and stuff like that, but I will be lucky if I can get them to answer the phone ONE TIME...So I better make my request a wise one the first go around.

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 11, 2003 05:00     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The short answer is that
CLEAR CHANNEL MUST BE DESTROYED

The long answers can be found here, about halfway down,
via the links regarding the Evil Entity ClearChannel:
http://www.tangento.net/about.html

Puzzled
VoivodFan
Member # 294

posted May 11, 2003 05:17     Profile for Puzzled   Email Puzzled     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok...That answered one question, but not the main question.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 11, 2003 05:33     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I need to make love to you through my monitor...kinda like the "Deborah Harry" film
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 11, 2003 05:34     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do radio stations still take requests?

Tangento's right, Clear Channel is the root of all evil, totally agreed. I have a friend that works for the main rock station here in town, 101.1 FM KLOL. Clear Channel bought them out a while back, and the fucking management got rid of a bunch of people that had worked there practically all their lives. Like Clear Channel needs to cost cut??? Gimme a fucking break...

Now to try to answer your question puzzled, it depends on who owns the station you speak of. Either Clear Channel owns it, or not. Clear Channel has a pretty strict format for ALL rock stations they own, and most radio shows are run on a computer system now, the so called DJ isn't really jockeying discs anymore. They just watch the screen and press a few buttons every once in a while (it's one of those screens where you actually touch the screen to do something). Sometimes on the weekend the "DJ" really isn't there, the whole show was already pre-recorded and they have some tech run the board.

To make this long story a little bit longer, try to get that station to play a song, but if they don't have it in the rotation then it's highly unlikely you'll ever hear it.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 11, 2003 05:37     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BCoD:
I need to make love to you through my monitor...kinda like the "Deborah Harry" film

HAHAHA! Videodrome is an awesome flick..."Come to Nikki...."

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 11, 2003 05:46     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:
HAHAHA! Videodrome is an awesome flick..."Come to Nikki...."

Yes sirreee!!!!

Videodrome!

How many times I've actually fantasized about that "tongue" is beyond me!!!!

Puzzled
VoivodFan
Member # 294

posted May 11, 2003 05:50     Profile for Puzzled   Email Puzzled     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:
Do radio stations still take requests?

Tangento's right, Clear Channel is the root of all evil, totally agreed. I have a friend that works for the main rock station here in town, 101.1 FM KLOL. Clear Channel bought them out a while back, and the fucking management got rid of a bunch of people that had worked there practically all their lives. Like Clear Channel needs to cost cut??? Gimme a fucking break...

Now to try to answer your question puzzled, it depends on who owns the station you speak of. Either Clear Channel owns it, or not. Clear Channel has a pretty strict format for ALL rock stations they own, and most radio shows are run on a computer system now, the so called DJ isn't really jockeying discs anymore. They just watch the screen and press a few buttons every once in a while (it's one of those screens where you actually touch the screen to do something). Sometimes on the weekend the "DJ" really isn't there, the whole show was already pre-recorded and they have some tech run the board.

To make this long story a little bit longer, try to get that station to play a song, but if they don't have it in the rotation then it's highly unlikely you'll ever hear it.

This radio station will do request.

They were talking about it one day and thats how I knew they had to check with someone else out of state to add shit to their format. The format they go by doesn't really seem too strict and I certainly see how some Voivod songs could fit the format for a wide range of stations all depending on the song...and I think I don't wanna wake up would be an excellent choice. It would sound great on the air...So would some songs off Angel Rat.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 11, 2003 06:41     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, cool, so they do requests. Now all that matters is whether they have anything by Voivod up there. It sounds like these people would play something, you probably don't live in a huge metropolis like I do where the radio stations thrive on the "majority" of listeners who in my opinion have no inkling of what real music is. That's why they generally play the same crap over and over. That's why I don't even listen to the radio.
There is no way I could ever get Voivod on the radio here, except for on a college station or pacifica. I've already tried directly with that friend I mentioned, but he said he could get fired because his "production manager" wouldn't approve. Shit at least I tried!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 11, 2003 12:18     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento...

You are 100% correct about the fucking CCC.
Clear Channel Comm. = Corporate Control Crap!
Bunch of Suit & Tie, Demographics-driven Twats!
I hope they burn in a Corporate Hell along with all the Lawyers and RIAA Employees!!!

Puzzled...
Your best bet is to just call the Office at the Station & ask them that very question.
I'm sure they will be glad to tell you.
What particular VOIVOD Song did you have in mind?

Puzzled
VoivodFan
Member # 294

posted May 11, 2003 21:49     Profile for Puzzled   Email Puzzled     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let me collect my thoughts.

Two examples.

Stacked actors by the Foo Fighters
The Wicker Man by Iron Maiden

If I had not heard those two songs on the radio I would have never bought those albums.

That also goes for a 8stops7 tape I bought because I could not find anything else to buy and I had a satchel and wanted to listen to new music...I bought it because of one song called Satisfied. I had absolutely no idea what to buy because my favorites are usually poorly marketed.

You have to remember...alot of people will switch on the radio while in their car or lying in bed because they don't want to get up and change CDs.

Puzzled
VoivodFan
Member # 294

posted May 11, 2003 22:20     Profile for Puzzled   Email Puzzled     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Radio is only good for news and weather.
Look at my last post in the 'Anyone buy any new CDs recently" thread.

I did. I don't get it.

Your point is hazy. I could pull conclusions from it but won't till I know for sure.

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted May 12, 2003 23:54     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unfortunately,the situation with radio will get worse due to the "corporate stranglehold" that virtually eliminated all public-affairs/community-oriented programming.Actually there are some public hearings with the FCC(more like Fucking Corporate Control)that will last until June 6 on whether or not to even further rescind restrictions on cross-ownership(amount of radio stations/t.v stations owned by a corp in a single market area).I don't look for any musical idea from radio! Folks ,it's time to go out and do the research on your own-check out underground music mags/not just the popular glossy ones/go to shows with bands who you don't see advertised every fuckin' week in Spun/Rolling 'Old Bones zines/take a chance on obscure/new bands/I'm not going to guarantee that you'll like everything but it's far more satisfying to discover stuff on your own.I understand that this is much harder for folks living in rural/overseas areas but this is just my own opinion and i'm not trying to tell anybody what to do-as people we need to rediscover our instincts and curiosities in this oversaturated "plastic age".....
Puzzled
VoivodFan
Member # 294

posted May 13, 2003 00:07     Profile for Puzzled   Email Puzzled     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ya know.
I really don't think radio is that bad.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted May 13, 2003 18:13     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
The short answer is that
CLEAR CHANNEL MUST BE DESTROYED

The long answers can be found here, about halfway down,
via the links regarding the Evil Entity ClearChannel:
http://www.tangento.net/about.html

Yowza!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 14, 2003 20:01     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutronboy2000:
as people we need to rediscover our instincts and curiosities in this oversaturated "plastic age".....

Its cool to see others hear like Ozzy.

i been on a few websites where people bash him for his reality based t.v. show..

JUST SAY OZZY ! !

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 14, 2003 20:38     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutronboy2000:
Unfortunately,the situation with radio will get worse due to the "corporate stranglehold" that virtually eliminated all public-affairs/community-oriented programming.Actually there are some public hearings with the FCC(more like Fucking Corporate Control)that will last until June 6 on whether or not to even further rescind restrictions on cross-ownership(amount of radio stations/t.v stations owned by a corp in a single market area).I don't look for any musical idea from radio! Folks ,it's time to go out and do the research on your own-check out underground music mags/not just the popular glossy ones/go to shows with bands who you don't see advertised every fuckin' week in Spun/Rolling 'Old Bones zines/take a chance on obscure/new bands/I'm not going to guarantee that you'll like everything but it's far more satisfying to discover stuff on your own.I understand that this is much harder for folks living in rural/overseas areas but this is just my own opinion and i'm not trying to tell anybody what to do-as people we need to rediscover our instincts and curiosities in this oversaturated "plastic age".....

The reason I am so outspoken about this issue is that I work on
jobsites where there are fucking JOB RADIOS, and I am FORCED to listen to them,
ALL FUCKING DAY LONG.

There are few tortures in this life worse than this.

I have even created a work of "art" dedicated to my plight...

I call this one:

'Perchance to Dream'.

starring:
DeWalt - the Blasted Job radio and
Hilti - the Magical Demolition Hammer

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan