my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » As ugly as car accidents are....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: As ugly as car accidents are....
Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 06, 2003 19:50     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...one can't help but look. So I just might kinda sorta-have-to watch the Metallica Icon show tonight. I hope someone is appropriately planning on doing "SAD but TRUE." But, hey MTV, just you go ahead and prove me wrong, why don't cha?

LONG LIVE VOIVOD!!!!!!

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 07, 2003 10:21     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with WC here - if the album is good, I'd buy it. Trujillo is a bad ass, though. A great addition. The part of the new song I heard at the end sounded pretty good. I'm just not as much into metal anymore, so I didn't get that excited. One thing I will say is that Lars Ulrich continues to make me want to strangle him, though. I felt that way even back in the mid-80's
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted May 07, 2003 15:34     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To this day, I still can't watch Lars' face while he's drumming without getting a nervous twitch... I don't know what it is, but I just can't stand it!!!
Paulander7
VoivodFan
Member # 298

posted May 07, 2003 15:57     Profile for Paulander7   Email Paulander7     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I kept flipping back between MTV Icon and the Mariners/Yankees game, (Snoop Dogg??? Ouch!!!) but the most interesting parts were Metallica & Newstead talking about everything that's gone on, and It seems they are all happy metal-heads again. "Real Again" for both bands, perhaps. So what? If St.Anger sounds good to me, I'll buy it just like I would any other album.
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted May 07, 2003 16:06     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's cool that some of you guys still tuned in. It's even funnier how similar some reactions are. I don't know what it is, but I could never stand watching Lars either!
I only saw about a half an our of it (because I had to go), but I couldn't help thinking that for all of the crap that Metallica gets for "selling out", or going soft, or going mainstream, or whatever you want to call it, I don't think there's a band (or person) on the planet that would have passed up the opportunity to cover a Metallica song last night. I do think it was a poor choice of bands that played last night, but hey, it's MTV. But while I was watching, I was like, "Damn, I'd like to be up there playing Disposable Heroes or Trapped Under Ice with my band, and I'm not someone who you'd necessarily call a Metallica fan anymore. But anyway, I couldn't help getting a little chill reminiscing about the effect they had on my when I was little. I learned every note of their first four albums on guitar. Hell, those albums practically taught me how to play guitar! Like I said, I'm not really a fan anymore, but I'm no hater either. I can't accuse them of selling out. I can only recognize that they went in a direction that I'm not too fond of.
Although, warcorpse, I'd be curious of your impression of the Load and Reload albums. I'm not saying that you'd like 'em, but I must admit that after hearing the albums in there entirety, I disliked them a lot less. Prior to hearing it, I pretty much decided that I hated it based on the videos and singles. But my brother made me listen to both CDs, and like I said, it didn't make me a fan all over again, but I did dislike it less. I wouldn't recommend buying it, but if you know someone who has it, I'd recommend borrowing it. It might take SOME of the disappointment away.
In any case, when I left the house last night, it did make me take with me the Master of Puppets CD and crank it! I sure would have liked to see Primus do "The Thing That Should Not Be"!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 07, 2003 17:10     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The All Metallica site posted links to a poor live recording of that "Frantic" song (just a minute and a half). Sounds heavier than the Load/Reload era anyway, let's check it out when it's released.
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted May 07, 2003 17:20     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I couldn't find the right word for it, but you hit it right on the head for me hex. I was bored with it. Not terrible, just plain boring. I must admit that I only heard those albums in their entirety one time, and I was expecting something much worse than it was. So I'm sure that affected my impression of it as a whole.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 07, 2003 17:27     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whooooa, now I've heard it properly! Frantic is the first song on St. Anger, and it is REALLY heavy!

Great expectations!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 08, 2003 04:49     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys hit the nail on the head. Bored is exactly what I was while listening to Load. There just isn't any fire on it. Good on them if the new one rocks. It'd be a nice surprise, but I'm not really fussed. It's never gonna be Dimension Hatross.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 08, 2003 05:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with the BORED tag on both cds...I kept hoping to hear at least one song like Damage Inc on either disc to livin it up but it doesn't happen. I am going to buy the new cd as soon as it comes out, mainly for curiousity sake...and a glimmer of hope. I missed the MTV ICON because I was busy standing in front of KINGS X who fuckin' killed at this little bar in Ocean City Maryland. My 2 friends and I hung out for a while on the bus with Doug Jerry and Ty after the show...cool bunch of muthas and a lot of bands 'owe' respect to them.
Their new cd comes out on the 20th and it should be another classic.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 08, 2003 11:19     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm. The riffs on that 'Frantic' song aren't too bad... a bit repetitive, but better than the last 3 albums. Drumming's not bad actually (although he was out of time quite a lot ).

However, I will say one thing. James Hetfield's singing has just got continually worse and worse since Justice. It's horrible to listen to. I'll buy the new album, but I'll stick to the 1985-1989 era shows I have on my computer for live performances and vocals that were actually good to listen to.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 08, 2003 12:13     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Lyc about Hetfield's voice! He sounded pretty awful IMO! The new tune sounded ok, much better than their 90's output, but that teaser certainly wasn't anything that got me excited to see a return of those guys.

One of the things that's irked me about this whole Metallica comeback is all the promotion they've been getting... I mean ASSLOADS of promotion/propaganda! I actually had a record store clerk try and get me to pre-order a copy of the new McTallica album last fucking summer! All I am saying is that any band will sell lots of records with the amount of promo they've gotten... One billion served... not the best metal out there, but certainly some of the easiest to get one's hands on.

One good point about the preview/Icon thingy last night was seeing Trujillo tear it up on the bass... The guy rules and there's no denying that!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 08, 2003 12:19     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
McTallica

Classic!

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted May 08, 2003 12:48     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Schroed, did King's X rock or what? When I saw them in February, they played two new songs from the new album and got me totally excited. Did they play more new stuff for you guys?
By the way, you didn't mention how Fishbone was. It's been over 10 years since I've seen them live and it still stands as one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Not to mention, Primus opened up for them on the Sailing the Seas of Cheese Tour. Great night!
Did you get the Tomahawk?

And by the way, McTallica still has me laughing! Great one!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 09, 2003 06:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MMM: KIng's X were incredible, but had to cut their set short so no new songs, which kinda sucked, but the songs they did from their catalog were amazing. It was a messed up day for the band and they told us (in the bus) that they weren't in the mood to play when they got there but after seeing me and my 2 friends in front of them just totally getting into what they were doing they got into it...that was nice to hear Doug tell us that.

Fishbone commanded the audiece as usual. We missed the first part of the show because we were hanging with Doug, Ty & Jerry, but when we say the last few songs, all I can say is that they still got it. Angelo is wacked, Spacey T shredded, Fisher kept the grooove and the band just killed.

I've been surprised by they young crowd they attracted the last few times they played our town...it's cool that they are still getting an audience and a new generation of listeners.

An unforgettable evening.

I have the Tomahawk on order, and should get it in a day or 2, thatnks for letting us know about it.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 10, 2003 05:25     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
King's X rocks!!!

Just had to say that.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 11, 2003 05:22     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:
King's X rocks!!!

Are they still "Christianized" as a band?

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 11, 2003 05:28     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as that "fiasco" the other night...Lars didn't impress me with his (kick) drumming one bit! yeah, maybe he sounded half-way decent, and it seemed that he actually 'kept up with the fast songs...until you take away that (other) bass-pedal that is!!!

LAZY FUCK!!!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 11, 2003 05:45     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BCoD:
Are they still "Christianized" as a band?

I don't fucking know, I never knew they were in the first place. I could care less about their spiritual beliefs, they're music is what counts.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 11, 2003 05:50     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:
I don't fucking know, I never knew they were in the first place. I could care less about their spiritual beliefs, they're music is what counts.

I totally agree with you, sorry, that was dumb. It was something I remember hearing years ago, and it still doesn't take anything away from their "musicianship", either or.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 11, 2003 05:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No KINGS X are not still strong believers in the BOOK. Probably still somewhat spiritual, but certainly not by the BOOK!!!

Their music have never been blatantly Christian, but if you knew they were than you could read more into the lyrics. Kings X (to me) have always just been a great rock band who are very versitile. The guys have released lots of great cds and lots of great solo and side project discs. I'm an athiest, but that doesn't keep me from listening to great music, even if I know there's a GOD thing in it. Great music is great music.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted May 11, 2003 06:02     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only saw the show yesterday, and overall, I thought it was a good show. Some decent performances (Korn and Limp - allthough I'm not really a fan of them). Snoop and Avril should've been replaced though. Liked the medley at the end too, and the new song actually had some speed in it, so maybe the new Metallica-album won't be that bad after all.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 11, 2003 08:51     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's 30 seconds of the album version of'Frantic' (the new one they played at the ICON show) up on Metallica.com.

One thing:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! THE PRODUCTION IS A FUCKIN'MESS!

Drums too loud, vocals too loud. Can barely hear guitars. No bass. Drums sound crappy. Vocals shit. Going to sit down and be not surprised somewhere else.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 12, 2003 00:25     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
No bass.

Well that doesn't surprise me at all, given the fact that Metallica didn't HAVE a bassist at the time of recording.

Too bad Trujillo isn't on the album...

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted May 12, 2003 12:31     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Apparently Bob Rock did the bass on the record... It couldn't possible sound great.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan