my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod's touchdown into Houston April 30

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voivod's touchdown into Houston April 30
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 05, 2003 00:28     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where do I begin? Reality is slowly creeping in, and I still can't believe I really had as great a time as my battered brain and body have been telling me. Well this is what I remember so far:

Running late as usual. Didn't even buy the tickets until four hours before showtime. Tickets just say "Sepultura and Special Guest". Is Voivod really going to be there tonight? (Luckily I'm an optimistic lunatic, OF COURSE they are going to be there!)

All pessimistic jokes aside, working on beer #? by now, had a little snack at Hooters for dinner. It's only 6 and we still need to go home and drink some of that beer in the fridge.

7 o'clock now, my friend decides to finally start getting ready. It's her house and we're taking her car, so we do what she wants HAHA. Crank up the newest CD, it's the first time she's heard Voivod (all of this has relevance later on, trust me). She can't decide which band member she likes the most. "Well let's go see them and THEN you can decide, OK?" We finally leave at 8.

We missed the band from NY, got to the venue right before 9, Voivod crew were setting up to jam. Cool, time to take that roaring piss my bladder has been screaming about LOL. Beer number whatever by now, lights go down. Make my way to front of stage, right in front of Snake. You guys know what the first song was so I guess I don't need to tell ya'ss. I'm glad there isn't a pit right now, I'm still trying to figure out if this is all true. Well Snake just high fived me, it's true!

The setlist was the same as Dallas and San Anton, and they even had a power failure for about twenty minutes as mentioned in another review. Too much fuckin' juice I guess!

Enough about the actual concert, meeting the guys was a whole other trip. My friend really took a liking to Piggy, and she even told him that it's mean that they gave him that nick. He just laughed and they were talking a while, so here comes Snake. The best place to hang out was near the merch booth, that's where they would come and go. I told Snake that it's awesome to have him back, and of course I got his autograph and shook his hand. He is a very sincere and cool person (in case you didn't know LOL). Sepultura just started playing, I leave the guys alone because I'm sure they want to talk to other fans, plus I am still waiting to see Away (and Piggy disappeared with my friend, all that getting ready before the show DOES pay off I guess?) OK, there they are, over at one of the bars. I bought Piggy a beer and chatted a minute, he liked the fact that my friend had never heard Voivod till that day. He was all smiles!

Time to go back to the merch booth, I need to buy a shirt. I bought the one with the strange skeletal logo on the front. And there's Away! He remembers me from the Negatron tour 7+ years ago, and thanks me for keeping up with the band. I told him "How could I not, you guys RULE!!" I got his autograph and he had to run off and do something real quick. It's just about now I notice that I haven't seen Jason anywhere. Probably doing an interview. Time to check out Sepultura and the crowd.

Sepultura jammed by the way, but I wish Max was still there. Derrick Green has some long ass fucking hair, that's for sure! My friend kept trying to claim it wasn't all real, and I kept telling her "Ummm, they're from Brazil, it's real!"

Show is almost over. Working on beer # infinity by now (Hell no I didn't drive! )
Walk back over to merch booth and the guy behind it hands me a drum head. I'm like "What's this for!?" He says Away wanted to give it to me. This was the icing on the cake. I couldn't believe it. It said 'Voivod' and 'Away' in blue sharpie ink. I was in shock. I'm still in shock!!

Still no Jason, I waited for Away to come back by and couldn't stop thanking him. He must have thought I was a complete nut, I had to hug the dude (not like THAT, but how guys half-hug LOL!) I told him we would be in San Antonio for the opening of Ozzfest June 28. He said would be great to see you there.

Show is over now, it's almost one in the morning. Show ended later because of the power difficulties earlier. I gave my buttons and stickers to cool people, I already have more at home. Hardly anyone even new who the hell VV were. I was doing my street teaming hehe.
I hope this story makes sense. Now that I've actually put it into words, I'm realizing it IS all true, and I can't wait till Ozzfest.

Cheers ! !

|  IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted May 05, 2003 00:53     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That sounds like a great night! It must have left an incredible impression on you to be able to recall with such detail after beer # infinity!
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 05, 2003 01:17     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy shit, he remembered you? Cool! Great story, but I get more and more jealous after each show review I read.
Amalthea
VoivodFan
Member # 301

posted May 05, 2003 02:33     Profile for Amalthea   Email Amalthea     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a great night that must have been for you, and what an awesome gift from Away! Voivod is just the coolest.

So tell us, did anything happen with your friend and Piggy? Funny, he doesn't strike me as the flirty one of the group.

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted May 06, 2003 00:16     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great review,Nuclear Infusion!!!! What shirt were you wearing at the gig? I had a "Voivod Lives" Black Longsleeve.I managed to make my way to the front next to a bald guy and another wearing a cap.I missed the opening act(no big loss).....
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 06, 2003 00:16     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Holy shit, he remembered you? Cool! Great story, but I get more and more jealous after each show review I read.

I think one of the main reasons he remembered me is because I saw them twice in the span of six months back then, and each time I talked with him outside for a good while. There weren't that many people at the shows either. Plus I look the same.

Aren't you going to see them with Ozzy on that Canadian tour??

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 06, 2003 00:22     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutronboy2000:
Great review,Nuclear Infusion!!!! What shirt were you wearing at the gig? I had a "Voivod Lives" Black Longsleeve.I managed to make my way to the front next to a bald guy and another wearing a cap.I missed the opening act(no big loss).....

I remember that bald guy, I probably saw you too.
I had on a dark green/purple shirt and shorts. I didn't buy a shirt till after their set. I was in the front the whole time, dead center!

I tried to find out if a few people were you, asking if they go on the internet but to no avail. If you saw someone towards the end of the whole thing with the drum head that was me.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 06, 2003 00:29     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
That sounds like a great night! It must have left an incredible impression on you to be able to recall with such detail after beer # infinity!

Well I guess I was running on pure adrenaline! I've been waiting 7 years to see them again, and have never seen them with Snake before. Plus already being an accomplished beer drinker helped out as well .

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 06, 2003 00:36     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amalthea:
What a great night that must have been for you, and what an awesome gift from Away! Voivod is just the coolest.

So tell us, did anything happen with your friend and Piggy? Funny, he doesn't strike me as the flirty one of the group.

Well his last name IS D'Amour, isn't it lol! I'm not going to go into detail, but I'll just say that they weren't "talking" the whole time. (I don't want to get the guy in trouble!)

Iron Noggin
VoivodFan
Member # 310

posted May 12, 2003 11:47     Profile for Iron Noggin   Email Iron Noggin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, NI, i was there for a majority of what you talked about, there was a lot of comedy underlying that show that night!

(oh, and Away gave me a signed drumstick at the same time NI received a signed drumhead!)

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan