my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » My Dallas Voivod Show Review

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Dallas Voivod Show Review
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 04, 2003 15:34     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Better late than never.

I arrived at the Venue about 2 hours early.
Normally, it would be $10.00 for parking, but i was there before the parking dudes showed up, so was free.
There was nobody else there either (fans), so i drove on around back & parked next to the Voivod Tour Bus.
I sat there for a while drinking a Beer (in the Truck) then got out to walk around.
Crew were in & out of the loading area, with equip, etc.
I talked to one of the Voivod Crew....said that Sepultura were on doing the Sound-Check. (i could hear all theyre noise.)

Well, soon...
KEGL 97.1 Radio Station Truck shows up and Jason gets out.
(Back from an Interview which i missed. Damnitt.)
The Voivod Tour Manager told me to give him a Min. In other words....
Leave him alone right now. Which i said...
No problem & that i would stay out of theyre way. (How nice of me).
Jason got on the Bus, so i went & hung out by the Loading door.
Soon some guys who were speaking in Brazil Language (Portugese) came outside. I began to talk to one of them...small talk...welcomed them to Dallas, Thanks for coming, blah blah.
He was a really nice guy. Told me theyre Bus broke down & they came up in a Crew Van...waiting for a new Bus, which arrived later.

Anyways....
More people in & out, etc.
Then this Black-skinned guy with Dredlocks came out & we were all talking about Brazil, Dallas, Girls, Music blah blah.
At that time...i could not tell you who the Sepultura guys were, because i dont know them that well.
Snake & Away were in & out of the door too, but i left them alone & stay out of the way.
Someone came out with a Soccer Ball (Football)....and they all went out to the Parking lot to kick it around & stuff.
Jason came off the Bus to play too.
I went with them over there to kick the ball around with them all, which i did in my own dorky way. haha.
(Hell! I'm a Hockey Fan! What do i know about kicking a Ball!)
It was fun doing that.
Later when Sepultura were playing...i realized that i had been playing football with the Band (& crew)...and...The guy with Dredlocks was theyre lead singer! What a shock! (I am so out of touch. lol!)

After a while i went back over to the door...then in a bit, Jason came walking over there.
I said the usual...Welcome to Dallas, thank you for stopping here on the Tour...my name is King Kula from voivodfan.com and the Chophouse boards.
He said...."So....YOU are King Kula!"
Then he said its good to be here in Dallas...hope you enjoy the show tonight. Then he quickly went inside & that was the end of me talking to him.
He is very quiet & reserved guy.

Anyways...
I got bored hanging around there in the hot sun, so i walked around the building to the front & went in the main Pool Hall area.
Sat down at the Bar, got a Beer, started talking to a guy about how they are gonna tear the building down soon, blah blah.
More people coming in & line was forming in front of the Canyon Club, etc. Eventually the doors opened & i made my way inside.
Went to the Bar...got another Beer...more small talk, etc.
Then went to the Merchandise Booth. Met Korbit from The Chophouse.
Nice fellow, but i dont think he likes me too much.
Gee...i cant imagine why. hahaha!
We talked about a few things that i wont go into here, then i bought some shirts from him. Doing my part to support the Band, etc. lol.

The first band came on. That New York Band. Forgot the Name.
Went & watched them play for 20 mins. They were good and did NOT suck like some said on the Voivod.com board.
Just a smaller Band trying to get exposure and i can respect that.
After they were off, i went back to Korbit to harass him more. hahaha!
(The guy sure loved me doing that.)

Voivod started. I went to the front right under Jason. Stage left area.
They ROCKED!!!!!! Blew me away!!!
Every song was tight & loud!
Played the usual new stuff, but they threw in 'The Unknown Knows' as an addition to theyre older stuff played.
Snake was a brilliant showman as usual. I love watching him.
Piggy was barefoot and having a good time. Even broke out the Toy Raygun on one of the songs! NOW i know how that thing works with the Guitar Pickups...picking up the Toy Gun sound! It was great!
Away's drumming was PERFECT. His Drums sounded so good.
Jason was singing in parts as well and did a really good job!
The guy has a pretty good voice! Surprised me!

But...Now...
You folks know what a bit of a troublemaker i am though, right?
Voivod had to have known when they got to Dallas, that ol King Kula was gonna give them a little shit. hehehe.
Well...
In between the first few songs...and where the band (and Jason) could hear me...I screamed... "Blacky!!!!!!!! Blacky!!!!!!! Blacky!!!!!!!"
Yes indeed i did. Everyone was looking at me like i am crazy or something. hehehe. It was all in good fun though.
I think Nothingface knew it was me...from all my screaming. lol!
I met him after Voivod were off. Cool guy. Flew in all the way from New Orleans.

I saw Snake (in the bar area).
Shook his hand....Welcome to Dallas, good to have you back in the band, blah blah, my name is King Kula from the boards.
He said "So...YOU are King Kula!"
He thanked me for coming, great to be back in the biz...blah blah...then i let him alone & got another Beer.

Then I saw Piggy. Nothingface was talking to him too.
Went up to him, blah blah, i am KK from blah blah...
He said...(no joke)..."YOU are King Kula!"
Then he went off on me about the Blacky thing & other issues that are of a private matter. Fuss fuss fuss...blah blah.
He talks very fast & put me in my place on a few things, but otherwise nice & cordial. It was an honour to get verbally bitch slapped by one of my musical heros. Really! hahaha! I had a great time with that convo! Well...there was a little more small talk...& i left him alone.
Or actually...he left ME alone. lol!
He wasnt comfortable with my line of questioning, etc.
I do love Piggy and hold no ill feelings toward him whatsoever.
What a trip that guy is!

Then i spotted Away. hehehe.
I went over, introduced myself as KK/Satan, etc. He said...
"So YOU are King Kula!"
Everyone in the band said the same thing when they met me! It was weird!
Well...I just flat out told Away...i know that i have said some mean things about you on the boards (Chophouse)...and i am here to offer my sincere appologies to you over all that.
He said..."Thank you...i forgive you" and gave me a genuine friendly hug. It was nice to get all that out & for him to forgive me like that.
Nothingface & i talked to Away more after the Sepultura show.
He is a nice guy. Too bad there wasnt more time for me to ask him some Drummer questions.

Sepultura were great as well. Tight, Loud and powerfull.
I dont know why everyone is so down on the NEW Sepultura, because it sounds great to me! Bah! What do i know anyways. I'm out of touch, remember? lol!
Sepultura did a killer version of 'Bullet the Blue Sky' by U2.
I was disappointed they didnt do 'Orgasmatron' by Motorhead, but that ok.

Anyways folks.
I have rambled on long enough about all this.

If any of you get a chance to see this tour...do so.
It is worth it. Voivod are nice guys who do appreciate theyre fans.
Even me...theyre Internet Nightmare! hahaha!

BTW...Away said there will be another Album & the next should be more Technical. All that remains to be seen though.
It dont really matter to me. ALL Vod is good Vod.

Cheers!

|  IP: Logged
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted May 04, 2003 15:47     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks sis for the story. Sounds as if they were scared of you man Wonder why?
Would have been great to be there.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 04, 2003 16:14     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i know exactly what im going to say to Kula if i ever meet him, haha.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 04, 2003 16:32     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey!
That was better than many books I've read!
No, really - that tale had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
Nicely written, Kula.

At the beginning, I was trying to yell to you:
"THAT'S THE LEAD SINGER of SEP!"
after you described the dreaded dude.

I guess you figured it out ok.

Thanks again.

I just hope I can afford to drive down to the cities on Wednesday and partake.

Been a tough couple of months.

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted May 04, 2003 17:15     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
King of Chaos....Great story about the Dallas show,Kula!!!! I hope to see more from Texas show dates.C'mon let's get someone from Corpus Christi to send in a review.I had planned to do a "follow Voivod on their Texas dates" with a friend but I just got a new job,but I saw them in Houston.I'll post the complete review later this week.Tonight,Mastodon is playing with Cephalic Carnage(never heard their music)so I'll be at that one.I hope you guys had lots of fun at the shows....
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 04, 2003 23:49     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey KK, thanks for the report. It was even better reading it a second time (although the first time in the chat while you were still loaded was awesome as well, heh). And no one called security on you, so it's all good.

Hey Neutronboy I hope you're going to give a Mastadon review, I'd really like to hear about that show, I haven't seen them live yet.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 05, 2003 00:20     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great review KK, hope you didn't frighten the band too badly! lol!
Amalthea
VoivodFan
Member # 301

posted May 05, 2003 02:41     Profile for Amalthea   Email Amalthea     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also didn't realize that the big guy with dreadlocks was the singer from Sepultura. When I was hanging out before the show in SA I saw that guy with people around him and I just thought he was a roadie. I was never really into Sepultura (I preferred Kreator) but I knew he was never in the band. Later I was all like, oh yeah, Max Cavalera is missing, duh.

Awesome Dallas experiece you had, Kula.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 05, 2003 03:33     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the story, KKS! I guess I won't be getting those TD and Kraftwerk CDs of yours then ...
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 05, 2003 03:39     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea, cool story KK. Especially the "BLACKY!" part, lol! Jason is the only one I didn't get to meet at my show. Then again I was too busy talking to all the other guys, so go figure.

They REALLY are down to earth, cool guys. Glad you got to patch things up with Away.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 05, 2003 07:19     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, great stories from you and NF. Man, what a show....Mastadon touring with Cephalic that's right, I even think they're coming to ATL. THe one decent metal band that plays in ATL, haha, probably cause that's where they currently live.
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted May 05, 2003 11:44     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I was Piggy I'd a slapped ya!
That review was ostentatious oh, Satanic one!

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted May 05, 2003 12:24     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool review (and the reviews of the other ones too). Can't wait for them to reach our shores...
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 05, 2003 16:43     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't imagine Voivod coming to Brasil (Chophouse didn't even care - or no label here showed interest, who knows - to put the new one on the Brasilian market), so the only thing I can say is I'm happy for you guys who made it to the show and to actually meet and talk to "them". Every review of yours is heart-warming.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 05, 2003 16:48     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great story (Both Kula and Nothingface)!

Thanks guys for the great reviews!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan