my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Favorite Guitar Sound? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Favorite Guitar Sound?
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 25, 2003 09:39     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Which album has your all time favorite guitar sound? The one that makes you go "fuck yeah!" Doesn't have to be Voivod.

I like these best:

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance - thick, heavy and crisp. This album has their best production too imo.

Marduk - World Funeral - not only does this album rule, but the guitars are awesome! A bit of Chorus goes a long way and adds just the right flavour to the sound.

Helloween - The Dark Ride - fucking excellent. That's all there is to it.

In Flames - Colony - this is also my fave CD by them. The semi-clean solos in Zombie Inc send chills down my spine.

Venom - At War With Satan - this is probably my all time fave after the Priest. Pretty amazing for using "cheap shite".

Venom - Resurrection - Mantas sounds ficking mean on this album. Great production over all.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - of course David Gilmour had to be in here! The guitar on this record makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I think I'll put it on right now and play along.

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 25, 2003 10:13     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice thread!

UFO - Pretty much anything mid-late 70's
Led Zep - everything
The Beyond - Crawl
Adam & the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier
Voivod - Nothingface
The new Haunted album
The new Halford album

And of course, Yngwie!! The sound on Attack!!! is fucking top

Heres to guitar sounds that don't sound like they've been cut to fuck in ProTools! Fucking Nu-Metal!

satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted April 25, 2003 10:47     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD - Outer Limits
CORONER - Grin
MEKONG DELTA - Dances of Death
MARILYN MANSON - Antichrist Superstar
SMASHING PUMPKINS - Everything
ALICE IN CHAINS - Everything
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE - Evil Empire
PRONG - Everything

Others:

STYX - Pieces of Eight
RUSH - Hemispheres
KULA SHAKER - Peasants, Pigs and Astronauts
U2 - Joshua Tree
MONTROSE - Everything

etc etc

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted April 25, 2003 10:52     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The begining of Lost Machine is the coolest sound ever! Other than that, The Atomic Bitchwax, Kyuss and Lemmy's bass sound on the AOS album. That's my ideal guitar sound!
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 25, 2003 11:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by satan:
[QB]VOIVOD - Outer Limits

ALICE IN CHAINS
[QB]

Yes, I really like Piggy's sound on TOL. Some say it's "too polished" or "over produced". Bah! It's excellent! Metal as fuck!
I really like Jerry's sound on Dirt the best. I have an on guitar mag where he talks about how he got the sound on that album. I'm gonna have to dig it up.

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted April 25, 2003 11:52     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm more of a classic rock fan than a thrash metal fan, so my choices are:

Anything by David Gilmour
Anything by Led Zeppelin

... I need to get out more me thinks

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 25, 2003 11:57     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A couple I forgot:

Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind - I just love they way this whole record sounds, especially the guitars. I used to be able to get an identical sound through my Gorilla amp and with my MXR distortion pedal, which I no longer own.

Amon Amarth - The Avenger - sick, sick, SICK!

Accept - Balls To The Wall - Flying V through a Marshall = the pefect Metal sound!

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 25, 2003 12:13     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah Mr Satan. Coroner's Grin have great sounding Getars.
Crowbar, heeavy shit
Death, Symbolic
Carcass has some good sounds going too
VV Outer Limits
Shit i even love the guitars on Whiplash's Power and Pain here, this list could go on and on

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted April 25, 2003 13:26     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Piggy - TOL and Nothingface, although the new one "soundwise" is pretty strong too.

I also agree Jerry Cantrell and alot of the Smashing Pumpkins guitar stuff is killer.

Celtic Frost - I always thought TO MEGA THERION sounded awesome.

Filter, Megadeth (Rust in Peace), GWAR (Carnival of Chaos or Ragnarok have the best sound I'd say)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 25, 2003 16:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd have to say my favorite is the gargantuan tone our guitarist Vroommeister got for the first TGTASE demo "POCKETROCKET HITCHHIKER". I wasn't there when he actually constructed his honking sound so you'll have to ask him exactly how he created it. But I believe it had to do with
a pignose placed in a large bucket with a fan attached to the outside of it blowing in. What a brilliant imagination eh?

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 25, 2003 17:20     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I'd have to say my favorite is the gargantuan tone our guitarist Vroommeister got for the first TGTASE demo "POCKETROCKET HITCHHIKER". I wasn't there when he actually constructed his honking sound so you'll have to ask him exactly how he created it. But I believe it had to do with
a pignose placed in a large bucket with a fan attached to the outside of it blowing in. What a brilliant imagination eh?

Man, thats the only fucking way to have a chance when you keep delivering insane riffs by Georgie Jones at 320 beats per minute on your Diabolical Telemeister

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted April 25, 2003 17:46     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I pick these guys simply because I think they are some of the most unique sounding guys. I know there’s better, or meaner, sounding guitars, but to me, these guys’ sound really stand out on these records. Some of these sounds aren’t necessarily from my favorite albums, but they’ve achieved some of my favorite guitar sounds on them. Here’s my list, in no particular order…… (but I’ll keep it in the rock/metal category)……

David Gilmour – Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Chris Haskett – Rollins Band – End of Silence/Weight
Alex Lifeson – Victor (his solo CD)
Ty Tabor – King's X - Dogman
Piggy – Voivod - Outer Limits
Steve Vai – Alien Love Secrets
Angus Young – AC/DC - Back In Black
Vernon Reid - Living Colour - Stain
Scott Ian – Anthrax - Persistence of Time
Robert Fripp – King Crimson - Lark’s Tongue in Aspic/(Fripp/Belew) – The Power To Believe
Tony Iommi – Sabbath - Masters of Reality
Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen 1

Michael J. Fox – Back to the Future (just kidding)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 25, 2003 18:42     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Accept - Restless & wild and Balls to the walls: just for the heaviness;
Fear Factory - anything: Dino Cazares rocks!;
Brujeria - anything: Dino Cazares rocks!!!;
Black Sabbath - Born again: oh I love heavy guitars;
S.O.D. - Live at Budokan: one of the best sounding live albums ever, due to Scott's riffing;
Voivod - Nothingface: the weirdest!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 25, 2003 19:01     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Trouble - "Psalm 9" Plenty of gain with the mid and low boosted to create that classic doom sound.

Warcorpse - How well do you know your Trouble?

The reason I ask is that I recorded a song off the radio years ago,
and I have never been able to figure out which album it is from.
If I post it, can you give a shot at identifying it for me?

quote:
S.O.D. - "Speak English or Die" March of the SOD is the heaviest riff ever recorded. Monster bunches of crunch.

Fuck YEAH. My band used to open up with that number.
Great memories.

A few other pics for me:

I agree w/ Emlyn on the UFO/ Schenker stuff; especially the LEADS.

Nobody beats mid-era Sabbath and Iommi the Master of Sick, Crushing Guitar Heaviness.
Top Sab picks: Sabotage & Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

I have to go eat, but will want to add more later on...

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted April 25, 2003 21:26     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM "Fallen"
loud Trees Come Down and Darkcell

FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM "Dawnrazor"

Slowdive "Souvlaki" & "Blue Day"

Slayer "Diablous In Musica"
just unrelenting and evil, period.

Destruction any- Mike shreds!

Bowie- Rise/ Fall Ziggy Stardust (All time classic)

Ramones-Road to Ruin

Lords of the New Church Method To My Madness

Black Sabbath "Mob Rules"

Apollyon Sun"Sub" great disc, totally original

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 25, 2003 22:22     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I have all thier early stuff on CD. Should be easy, post it. I also saw them live twice, once for the "Run to the Light" tour (with King Diamond the clown) and once for their self-titled CD tour.

Aw what the hell - I'll save some time and just give you the intro...

(Prozac - still here, fugly-boy? this is for you)

"The Lord shall endure forever...
For He hath prepared his throne for Judgement...
And they that know Thy Name will put their trust in Thee..."
etc.

THAT is a killer song.
Ring a bell?

Another entry for the thread:

Napalm Death - Words from the Exit Wound
Crisp, shredding, voluminous, brutal and FUCKING RELENTLESS
guitar mayhem from Pintado and Harris.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 25, 2003 22:31     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know Warcorpse will disagree, and I'm sorry he won't because he had stated before he didn't like this album...

Carcass- "Heartwork"

I'm sorry, but that guitar sound simply fucking rules for a metal production!!!

Infact most anything that Colin Richardson has produced has had a "killer" git-fiddle sound!

(another awesome example... Cannibal Corpse- "Bloodthirst")

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 26, 2003 04:23     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'corpse come on man, don't "by-pass" me like that!
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 26, 2003 04:27     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Besides, "Trouble" are considered CHRISTIAN-METAL!
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted April 26, 2003 04:32     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Paradise Lost - Gothic (not the best production, but the leads are great)
Voivod - Dimension Hatröss
Entombed - Left Hand Path (now that's a crunchy sound)
Carcass - Necrotism (best Carcass-album production- and songwise)

Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted April 26, 2003 17:04     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MEGADETH/So far, so good... so what!
ANTHRAX/Among the Living
METALLICA/...And Justice for All
EXODUS/Fabulous Disaster
VOĎVOD/Nothingface
DANZIG/Danzig

There's several others to name but this is a few of them I really like!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 26, 2003 22:50     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
"The Lord shall endure forever...
For He hath prepared his throne for Judgement...
And they that know Thy Name will put their trust in Thee..."

Thats easy, Trouble - "Psalm 9".

Thanks, Bub

Hen Manilla
VoivodFan
Member # 82

posted April 26, 2003 23:38     Profile for Hen Manilla   Email Hen Manilla     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Melvins!
space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted April 27, 2003 12:21     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Residents!! (just kidding)
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted April 27, 2003 18:40     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have always liked the guitar sounds on the following incomplete list of songs:

(Please don't laugh!!!)

"Little Dolls" from Ozzy: Diary of a Madman;
"Cheap Sunglasses" from ZZ Top;
"Rock Rock Till You Drop" by Def Leppard;
"Shout at the Devil" - Motley Crue;
"Livewire" - Motley Crue;
"Back in Black" - AC/DC;
"Sweet Emotion" - Arrowsmith;
"Third Stone from the Sun" - Jimi Hendrix;
"Rocket Ride" - KISS;
"Dancing on your Grave" - Motorhead;
"Living After Midnite" - Judas Priest;

Holy Jesus, I'm a sick fucker! SOMEONE PHONE THE POLICE; I NEED HELP!!!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan